Are you running the .215 Leak on your Razr or Maxx?

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
With the impending release of Jelly Bean any day now, the burning question for some time has been "will Jelly Bean install over .215?"

If you are running the .215 Leak and you get an update to July Bean on your phone, please be so kind as to inform me and the other forum members of the results, and whether or not it will install over .215 or if you need to revert back to .211 to install the new Jelly Bean.

Inquiring minds wanna know!!

And thanks to everyone who made the .215 leak and the classroom thread a success! :D

jp233

Reaction score
Yeah now that I read that JB is slated to come out sometime in January 2013 for the XT912 Razr, I'm just going to wait. I was on the brink of installing the 215 leak (I've only had ICS for about 2 months and I don't like it over GB), but with the holidays and travel approaching I'd rather not mess with it and just go to JB to try that instead.

Redsnk95

Reaction score
Thanks for starting this thread Matt. Should eliminate others from asking the question (I was also one who was asking). I am hoping that JB will install over the .215 leak but we will see what happens. I am curious if you will even receive the notification for an OTA update while on the .215 leak.

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
This is NOT to be taken as a guarantee of any kind, I'm not a betting man ... however ...My guess would be the Jelly Bean OTA will install over .215 without any issues. The .215 leak is official software, it's not a leak that someone came up with while poogling. Someone released the leak and someone put the leak out there for all of us to install. I say this because you don't need root to install .215, it will break root just like any other OTA that comes along.I simply don't have time to go through the whole process of installing Jelly Bean and re-rooting my phone and setting everything up again, work has been kicking my butt lately, so I am going to wait and see what happens when Jelly Bean finally does come down, then find a day or two to be able to do it. My updater is frozen anyway so I won't even get the OTA notification until I am ready to do it. And besides, I already have Jelly Bean on my tablet, and it's rooted, of course. As I said, this is NOT A GUARANTEE ... just my hunch. I may be wrong, I have been before. We will all see when the OTA finally gets pushed. :)

moset

Reaction score
Is JB an upgrade or update? My thinking is ICS was a whole new system ie upgrade therefore the whole thing was replaced. If it's an update then it would rely on some files from the previous version being what they expect in order to interface properly.
I wonder if any soak testers have said what the HD OTA is?
File size would be a dead give away.
If it's just 50mb or so I'd say we would have issues. Then there's the radio and kernel. Aren't both of them different on. 215?

RAZR MAXX

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I read somewhere that Jelly Bean is 280 something mb so its a major upgrade ... .215 is only 42 mob

The radio and the kernel will be the big key to any possible problems.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
ICS was a major upgrade from GB, replacing kernals, radio software, activating hardware previously not activated, etc. The .215 was a minor update or patch to the ICS upgrade (which explains is why it is smaller). The .215 has to be installed over stock ICS .211... because it is only an update/patch and not a full upgrade, it can not be installed over GB.

I think JB is more of an update than an upgrade. The differences between ICS and JB are not that much, kernals, activated hardware, radios are the same. I am not certain but they are so similar that it seems like it would even be possible to go back to ICS after being on JB...which is impossible to do from ICS back to GB.

moset

Reaction score
Meaning there's a good chance it will not install over. 215?
I guess we'll have to wait and see.

RAZR MAXX

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
moset said:
Meaning there's a good chance it will not install over. 215?
I guess we'll have to wait and see.

RAZR MAXX

Precisely ... nobody knows so we will all have to wait and see. :)

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
moset said:
There are far worse things. :)

RAZR MAXX

Precisely again ... my phone is set up just the way I want it, I am in no real hurry for Jelly Bean. After it gets pushed and I see how it goes with everyone else, then I will install it. I got all kinds of pissed off last night when Beautiful Widgets updated from the Play Store and it broke my clock on both my phone and my tablet and I had to go searching for a new one. I'm one of those who don't like forced change. LOL :)

moset

Reaction score
Off topic, but Appmonster from play store will let you go back to previous versions of installed apps. So if you don't like an update just go back.

RAZR MAXX

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Off topic, but Appmonster from play store will let you go back to previous versions of installed apps. So if you don't like an update just go back.

RAZR MAXX

Titanium Backup does the same thing, and at first I went back to the previous version. But when I did, I got a notification saying the was an update available for it. So I just went and got a new clock widget LOL :)