Are you running the .215 Leak on your Razr or Maxx?

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Ok guys...nothing like a good debate. Like MattyP (whom I hold in high regard)...no guarantee. Unlike MattP, I don't think JB will install over ICS. I base this on one thing: An OTA does three things when it is received (1) it checks the MEID of the phone to see if the phone is to be updated, (2) it checks to see if the phone is rooted and (3) the most important in this debate, it checks the system version on the phone. An update is designed for a specific system version to be "updated from". If during this check the system version present on the phone differs from the system version the OTA is designed to update then the update will not be successful. The OTA to JB will be looking for system version .211, if it finds any other system version the update will fail. We ought to start a "poll" here.

moset

Reaction score
Assuming an update is what JB is. If it's a complete replacement the version you're coming from is irrelevant at least from a practical point.

RAZR MAXX

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Ok guys...nothing like a good debate. Like MattyP (whom I hold in high regard)...no guarantee. Unlike MattP, I don't think JB will install over ICS. I base this on one thing: An OTA does three things when it is received (1) it checks the MEID of the phone to see if the phone is to be updated, (2) it checks to see if the phone is rooted and (3) the most important in this debate, it checks the system version on the phone. An update is designed for a specific system version to be "updated from". If during this check the system version present on the phone differs from the system version the OTA is designed to update then the update will not be successful. The OTA to JB will be looking for system version .211, if it finds any other system version the update will fail. We ought to start a "poll" here.

i somewhat agree .. with history of moto. they normally make you be on the OTA to get an ota upgrade. it will usually check the firmware version to make sure it matches prior to upgrading .

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Assuming an update is what JB is. If it's a complete replacement the version you're coming from is irrelevant at least from a practical point.

RAZR MAXX
Past practical experience shows that the system version number makes a difference. Reference the OTA from Gingerbread to Ice Cream Sandwich would not install if the official system version of GB was not on the phone and un rooted. I remember for days users were asking how to get back to the official system version of Gingerbread so that they could take the OTA to Ice Cream Sandwich. That occurred in the OTA from froyo to Gingerbread and Gingerbread to Ice Cream Sandwich. Whether an update or upgrade (full replacement), the OTA looks for a system version number and if that doesn't match what the OTA is coded to update...it will not update, replace or what ever. It may not be practical, but "it is what it is". But, we'll see, I could be wrong and it won't be the first time, and probably not the last :biggrin:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Checking for system version is also necessary because otherwise they could be installing their update/upgrade over any version Rom or leak and the results could be disastrous. I think the reason why many thought an OTA would work for the .215 leak is because it was expected that everyone would be receiving .215 OTA. But that never happened. It is so easy to go back to stock .211, that it should be no problem for anyone with the leak.

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
jpcalhoun said:

Who is debating?? LOL

Thanks for the kinds words sir ... I hold you in the same high regard as well. :)

Just to clarify what you said in your post, "I don't think JB will install over ICS" ... did you mean the .215 leak specifically? Because JB is next in line, right?

I'm curious as to the origin of the .215 leak ... because it was a fix for many issues in the first OTA of ICS. Why would Big Red put out a fix that doesn't require root and then the next OTA not install over it? If it came from someone else it would more than likely require root to be able to overwrite the Android system files, would it not?

That's why my guess was that JB would install over .215 ... but that's also why it was a guess and not a guarantee LOL

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
MattyP said:
Who is debating?? LOL

I'm curious as to the origin of the .215 leak ... because it was a fix for many issues in the first OTA of ICS. Why would Big Red put out a fix that doesn't require root and then the next OTA not install over it? If it came from someone else it would more than likely require root to be able to overwrite the Android system files, would it not?

That's why my guess was that JB would install over .215 ... but that's also why it was a guess and not a guarantee LOL

The origin of the leak is usually someone who works for Verizon, the phone manufacturer or a person testing the leak. It may have originated with the phone manufacturer (Motorola) or Verizon but was not leaked by them. The “leak" is not intended for the general public but was secretly leaked when it was not supposed to... leaked by someone who is not supposed to let it get out to the general public. It does not become an official update/upgrade until it is OTA. Usually the leak is something the manufacturer is working on and it might end up having many tweaks/changes before it goes OTA... hence why there were so many different leaked versions of ICS before we got the official OTA .211. Sometimes I think leaks happen accidentally on purpose.

OP
MattyP

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
TisMyDroid said:
The origin of the leak is usually someone who works for Verizon, the phone manufacturer or a person testing the leak. It may have originated with the phone manufacturer (Motorola) or Verizon but was not leaked by them. The “leak" is not intended for the general public but was secretly leaked when it was not supposed to... leaked by someone who is not supposed to let it get out to the general public. It does not become an official update/upgrade until it is OTA. Usually the leak is something the manufacturer is working on and it might end up having many tweaks/changes before it goes OTA... hence why there were so many different leaked versions of ICS before we got the official OTA .211. Sometimes I think leaks happen accidentally on purpose.

Accidentally on purpose? Imma have to remember that one LOL :D

Hazel0017

Reaction score
i was told by verizon today that the razr will not be getting the jb update.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Oh, I really do think they're leaked accidentally on purpose. That way they get tons of people to test out their new update instead of just a few testers. Then they read the forums to see what people complain about, lol.

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Who is debating?? LOL

Thanks for the kinds words sir ... I hold you in the same high regard as well. :)

Just to clarify what you said in your post, "I don't think JB will install over ICS" ... did you mean the .215 leak specifically? Because JB is next in line, right?

Hi MattyP. Yes, I'm sorry, I was not clear, I meant .215 specifically. But you ask an excellent question,"Why would Big Red put out a fix that doesn't require root and then the next OTA not install over it?"...the answer to which "only the shadow knows" (I'm telling my age here). I have no idea. I don't really understand where these leaks come from, who finds them and if it from a Verizon or Motorola system how someone gets access to them unless they are being "leaked" from the inside. In some ways its unfortunate that Motorola is so very proprietary with regard to how the update/upgrade process and the development behind the scenes takes place. I guess the only true answer to your question resides somewhere within Motorola.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
i was told by verizon today that the razr will not be getting the jb update.

Well if not then they have to dish out thousands of $100 vouchers for a new phone, as they promised for any phone less than two years old unable to get the JB upgrade. It is on Motorola's website and Motorola has repeatedly assured Razr owners that they will be getting JB. I bet the Verizon rep was either saying it's not getting it yet or is just plain wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums

Hazel0017

Reaction score
where do you get the leak? and can you get it without voiding your warranty? or messing up your phone. i have enough problems with this crappy phone.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
where do you get the leak? and can you get it without voiding your warranty? or messing up your phone. i have enough problems with this crappy phone.
Go to the top of this subforum and look for the sticky MattyP's .215 leak classroom. As far as messing up your phone and voiding you warranty...that is a risk you take anytime you flash/modify the factory installed or official OS/system version that is on the phone. However, flashing .215 is about as likely to mess up your phone as lighting striking it right this minute...as long as you follow MattyP's classroom instructions...to a "T". Many, many users have safely flashed .215 without being rooted. If you are having issues with your phone you may want to give it a try...it is very stable, responsive, and better battery life.

Last edited:

Hazel0017

Reaction score
thanks so much i will have to try that. i am running 4.04 i think i am good to run the leak.i am having touch issues with my phone. thing goes nuts and its less than a month old. goes everywhere you scroll up it zooms out and zooms in when you scroll down. you push the 5 you end the call. so on and so forth.