[Exclusive Rumor] Verizon's Samsung Prime May Not Arrive Until Q1 2012

matt2783

Reaction score
There is no way Samsung and Google would hold a press conference to announce a phone that will hit shelves between January and March of 2012. The only possibility of this being true is if they announce a phone for a different carrier, which is possible, but that would make Verizon look so bad being they passed up on the GSII.

WPThunder25

Reaction score
Hopefully this isn't true. My D2G is on it's last leg and I need a new phone ASAP. I might have to switch to the dark side if this is true.

cracker11

Reaction score
I have been available for an upgrade since august of 2010. So what's 3-5 more months as long as its as reliable as my D1..... on liquid

Sent from my DROID using DroidForums

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
We aren't saying an announcement isn't coming the 11th. - I hope we are wrong with this release tip as well :) I'm looking forward to some ice cream sandwich.

what are you going to do with your source when they get proven wrong on the 11th?

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Another thing I'd like to point out is..

Google debuted Android 2.0 on the Nexus One in January 2010
Google released the Nexus S with Android 2.3 in December of 2010

Why is it so hard to believe that Google was release the Nexus Prime (Nexus 3) with a major OS update in January of 2011?

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
We aren't saying an announcement isn't coming the 11th. - I hope it's wrong as well :) I'm looking forward to some ice cream sandwich. However, think about when the Bionic was first announced and when it finally landed!

I really hope that the timeline we witnessed with the bionic is the exception to the rule... I'd hate to see trend with 4-6 month release time frames.

Also keep in mind that this(these) supposed phone(s) has already pushed through Wifi and Bluetooth Cert almost a month ago, which happened for the bionic a couple months before it's release. I would think we should expect to see FCC docs within the next week or two unless they were much better about covering their tracks and using unknown identifiers.

EFGantry

Reaction score
i'm seriously doubting this tip. i don't think there's any way the Nexus doesn't release within the next month.

my bet is that this tip is referring to a different Sammy device.

EFGantry

Reaction score
Another thing I'd like to point out is..

Google debuted Android 2.0 on the Nexus One in January 2010
Google released the Nexus S with Android 3.2 in December of 2010

Why is it so hard to believe that Google was release the Nexus Prime (Nexus 3) with a major OS update in January of 2011?

the difficulty stems not from the actual release date, but from the relation between the announcement and release date. if i recall correctly, the Nexus One was announced and released on the same day, and the Nexus S was released within a couple weeks of being announced.

in this instance, if the announcement was made on Oct 11, but the phone wasn't released until Jan 2011, that 3 month interval would be a serious departure from their practice. that's what makes me doubt the possibility of a Q1 release.

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Good Point!

the difficulty stems not from the actual release date, but from the relation between the announcement and release date. if i recall correctly, the Nexus One was announced and released on the same day, and the Nexus S was released within a couple weeks of being announced.

in this instance, if the announcement was made on Oct 11, but the phone wasn't released until Jan 2011, that 3 month interval would be a serious departure from their practice. that's what makes me doubt the possibility of a Q1 release.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Honestly, I'd just be happy that a nexus device is finally making it to Verizon at all. I'm a little surprised by that news, actually.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Honestly, I'd just be happy that a nexus device is finally making it to Verizon at all. I'm a little surprised by that news, actually.

don't get too excited it was never confirmed by VZW. For all we know they can still bloat it up and call it something else

b-jammin21

Reaction score
I would certainly love to know who this "good source within the industry is..." I take rumors and news very cautiously when I don't know what the source is and whether or not I know it to be reliable or not.

Here's my 2. With the recent release of the new iPhone (and somewhat recent release of the Prime), and the upcoming holiday season, AND the rumors of awesome phones to come with HD displays and what not (i.e. HTC Vigor and others), AAAANNNDDD the confirmation from Google for the release of ICS in October or early November, why in the world would they hold the release of the Nexus Prime to Q1 of 2012? What kind of marketing and product deployment strategy is that? That would certainly be a disastrous move on Sammy's part in trying to make tons of money (which, correct me if I'm wrong, I believe most profit-driven companies strive for).

1. It has to come with the release of ICS.
2. It has to come in time for the Holiday season. Gifts 'n such.
3. It has to show up the iPhone ASAP if it wants to make some sort of pissing competition for who's got the better device.
4. It has to be the first truly great dual core, 4G, 720p HD screen wielding phone.

It has to. My thumbs are bleeding.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I could see it being close to right. Remember we have the iphone being released and you know all 3 carriers will be hyping and providing room for people to buy it. I could honestly see them doing the iphone 4s first and samsung nexus after that . And the best time for them both will be around the holiday season where they can also capitalize on BOGO free promotions for the older devices (Droids, iphone 4, etc). So do I think 1st qtr of next year no, but I would think closer to the mid November time frame if I had to guess. But I could be wrong. Hype today turns into complaints tomorrow. Iphone 4 was hyped and people hated the antenna issues, Thunderbolt had people angry about delays and now mad about the battery life, Droid Bionic was the phone to get and now the phone to return for some people. Its good that android is improving but I have no problem waiting for a device.