[Rumor] Verizon Droid Prime Time! Exclusive in Oct; The Real Reason No SGS2

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Verizon doesn't really make money on phones, so why would they care about one phone competing with another, or needing a rival for the IPhone5? Some of these writers may know a lot about tech, but business not so much.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Verizon doesn't really make money on phones, so why would they care about one phone competing with another, or needing a rival for the IPhone5? Some of these writers may know a lot about tech, but business not so much.

Yeah I didn't understand that part either. Plus Verizon will have the iphone5 as well, so it's not like they're going to lose those sales to att if their current customers want one

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
Code:
[url=http://androidandme.com/2011/08/news/rumor-samsung-droid-prime-to-be-first-ice-cream-sandwich-device-exclusive-to-verizon/#comment-134283]Rumor: Samsung DROID Prime to be first Ice Cream Sandwich device, exclusive to Verizon (Update) | Android and Me[/url]
For the curious. I'm telling you, it is the Nexus Prime! Not Droid Prime...wish sites would stop saying that, all they are doing is confusing people.

Droid Prime doesn't even sound nice :(

bp328i

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
This phone = my next phone

I don't care what they name it. Hell, I can deal with bloatware if it still has the rumored specs.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

100% agree with this, if it has the rumored specs and unlocked they can call it a pink polka dot bunny for all I care.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
100% agree with this, if it has the rumored specs and unlocked they can call it a pink polka dot bunny for all I care.

haha can't argue with that! i'd get it even if it wasnt fully unlocked if the specs are correct. seems like it'll be a great phone

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Everyone should chill about the name for now. This thread is a [Rumor] and until Google/Samsung/Verizon confirms anything, that's all it is.

Best case scenario: Nexus Prime (true developer phone, unlocked, 4.0 ICS, dream specs, updated by Google, Beast, the one phone to rule them all...at least for a couple months?)

Worst case scenario: Droid Prime (maybe unlocked, maybe 4.0 ICS, maybe loaded with bloat, maybe updated by Google or maybe Samsung (uh oh), probably tweaked by Verizon, most likely best Verizon phone...again, for a couple months)

As most have stated, it really doesn't matter what they call this thing, it's going to be amazing. Being Samsung means it's easily unlocked and will be a developers dream. I really think we are seeing a true successor to the OG Droid emerging...finally, it's been a long wait. Again, this is all rumor for now, but I am excitedly waiting for confirmation :)

loki993

Reaction score
I'm just worried this thing isn't going to be a vanilla android experience since a) its on verizon and we'd only be that lucky and b) they removed the nexus tag. Hopefully verizon just wants to ride off the "droid" popularity and this thing is a vanilla android, unlocked, beast of a phone.

It probably wont be, but who cares? Thats what rooting and flashing for.

This is definitely interesting. I will look hard at this phone, even with the Quads on the horizon. What really interests me though is what the Next Nexus phone is after this one since Google just bought Moto.

DroidCoug

Reaction score
My thoughts

Bionic = Sept
iPhone5 = Oct
Prime = Nov (Thanksgiving?)

Can the Prime launch in October? Yeah but the team is just getting final coding process finished. And unless big red is gonna shoot themselves in the foot by speeding up the prime's release date to compete against itself with the iphone october launch? You have the bionic in september already getting a huge market push. then the iphone5?? And you want to add in a super stock vanilla device with dual core LTE in that mix too... not to mention the HTC revolution 2 soon to follow??!

Too many choices causes customers to freeze up and not make a decision, which only hurts the companies. It's not good business for their bottom line. They will spread out the releases.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
My thoughts

Bionic = Sept
iPhone5 = Oct

Can the Prime launch in October? Yeah but the team is just getting final coding process finished. And unless big red is gonna shoot themselves in the foot by speeding up the prime's release date to compete against itself with the iphone october launch? You have the bionic in september already getting a huge market push. then the iphone5?? And you want to add in a super stock vanilla device with dual core LTE in that mix too... not to mention the HTC revolution 2 soon to follow??!

Too many choices causes customers to freeze up and not make a decision, which only hurts the companies. It's not good business for their bottom line. They will spread out the releases.

Go Cougs!

Sorry, off topic.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
^ Those are good thoughts. The masses have no idea that there are next gen phones right around the corner so I'm sure the Bionic will move big time. So I'd imagine they will ride that deal for a while (other than the iphone).

SwiftLegend

Reaction score
My thoughts

Bionic = Sept
iPhone5 = Oct

Verizon wouldn't be screwing themselves by selling 3 major phones at once. If anything, they'd be making more money. Instead of having 1 good phone for consumers to choose from, they have 3. Say I don't like the iPhone 5 but I don't want to wait to upgrade, I have 2 more great phones to choose from.

If the Prime is already getting certifications, that means it's nearly complete, they're probably working out any last minute bugs that are in ICS.

Just so you know, it's the LG Revolution 2...unless you meant the HTC Vigor, which is another "October" phone to look for.

Between this, the Vigor, and hopefully a LTE GS2, I may have to buy them all!