[Rumor] Verizon Droid Prime Time! Exclusive in Oct; The Real Reason No SGS2

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Droid-Prime-vzw-aug2011.jpg

According to a rumored source at BGR, the real reason Verizon passed up the Samsung Galaxy S II was because they will be exclusively getting the Samsung Droid/Nexus Prime in October. If this is true, that actually makes a lot of sense. Why carry another Samsung phone that would compete directly with an exclusive flagship like the Droid Prime?

Apparently, under Verizon this new device, with model number SCH-i515, will be called the Droid Prime instead of the Nexus Prime. Furthermore, it is rumored that the phone will be the first phone to come with Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich. Additionally, BGR's source said, “Verizon doesn’t think the Samsung GALAXY S II will be competitive with the iPhone 5 when it launches.”

Don't forget to check out our DroidForums Droid Prime Forum @Droid Prime. Also, we are working on a dedicated sister-site for the Droid/Nexus Prime. You can find it @PrimeForums.com!

Thanks for the tip Arkbird!

Source: BGR

Last edited:

stinger161

Reaction score
Yes but isn't the "Droid" name exclusive to not only Verizon but Motorola devices?

Trusstopher

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I was about to say the same thing, then it hit me.... Samsung Droid Charge...

azules9780

Reaction score
Yes but isn't the "Droid" name exclusive to not only Verizon but Motorola devices?

No because then you wouldn't have devices like the Droid Incredible/2 etc. I used to think that as well until they started coming out with HTC Droid's.

azules9780

Reaction score
LOL, all of a sudden we all started remembering non-motorola devices with Droid in their names

bp328i

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I wonder if Big Red is going to make them lock the bootloader down?

AuxiliaryPie

Reaction score
wellp, i believe we all found our next phones lol good to see VZW get another dev phone! i'm just glad google is dividing up the Nexus/Dev phones to all the carriers so everyone can get a taste of vanilla android

Tuktanuk

Reaction score
It's exclusive to Verizon. They bought the rights to "Droid" from George Lucas hence; they offered a Droid R2-D2 phone.

Reaction score
WHHHYYYY!

Can't they just come out with the Bionic and nothing else... That would make life so much more easy for me.

Tuktanuk

Reaction score
WHHHYYYY!

Can't they just come out with the Bionic and nothing else... That would make life so much more easy for me.

Easy! They want you to fall madly in love with all of the new phones so you just keep buying them at full retail prices. Verizon is hungry for more of your hard earned money, just give in to the temptation and hand it over.