1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Engadget Browser Comparison Video--Droid vs. N1 vs. iPhone--pretty embarassing

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by authority11, Jan 5, 2010.

1. authority11

authority11 New Member

2. mjs31

mjs31 New Member

Means nothing to me. I owned the Iphone and can say that my Droid loads slower than it did sometimes, the same as it did sometimes and faster than it did sometimes. Way more to it then a one time test....I have had the Iphone stall on pages many times....
  3. novacane

novacane New Member

I did it alongside the video, and my droid finished within 15 seconds of the iphone on the video...on 3g.
  4. NickWgnr

NickWgnr New Member

I just did it on my DROID and it beat the Iphone on the video with only 3g. Whatever...

Wagner :motdroidvert:
  5. shadowfox1290

shadowfox1290 New Member

yeah started at same time and was much faster than the droid in the video also he says they are on the same network in the beginning..... anyways guess if he moved that iphone a couple inches to the left he might lose his 3g and we would have a different result on our hands now wouldn't we.
  6. don_813

don_813 New Member

what the heck he seems so iphone biased, maybe its preloaded, cuz my 3g was way faster than that. also when its about halfway u can start browsing ALL of the material on the page
  7. CorvetteAustin24

CorvetteAustin24 New Member

I wonder if he honestly thinks testing on one site actually means anything?
  8. sparticus

sparticus New Member

well considering his remarks he must be a iphone user. so i would bet that the iphone has been to engaget before with some images cashed.
  9. INFERNO

INFERNO New Member

Here's another comparison......

10. andrewdoane

andrewdoane New Member

The big difference between the two videos is that the first one was wi-fi and the second is 3G. And I think that highlights the reason I bought a Droid... and probably lots of other people on this forum. I, for one, will admit that if Verizon had the iPhone I would have bought one two years ago. But they don't. It is just irrelevant to me how fast the processor is and the speed of the browser application because on AT&T and T-Mobile, none of it works where I live. AT&T could come out with the iPhone 8G with the world's fastest processor, every app in the app store free, and holograms like Princess Leia in Star Wars, and sell the whole thing for $100 and I wouldn't buy one because it still has to be a phone.

Okay, if it could do the hologram thing I would buy one. But I wouldn't be able to use it as a phone. It would just be a toy.
  11. omnibus

omnibus New Member

Assuming engadget was in a 3G area the test was academic to me because I never got a 3G signal on my phone anywhere near home in NE Wyoming.
  12. CorvetteAustin24

One site/test isn't even close to receiving the accolade of "academic". Just from the guy's comments in the video, it definitely looked to be a video to promote the iphone and put down the other two. Also, the droid started syncing during the test, yet the reviewer decided it was fair enough..wtf? It had smug written all over it (which is the feeling I think most of us feel when we see people with iphones, macs, or hybrid cars).

If someone is truly going to do a test that is to be taken seriously, they should include proof that the cache is cleared, run both wifi and 3g tests on a minimum of 3 sites (5 and more would be better, but boring for a video), and directly after the phone was fully charged and just booted up with no other apps running.
  13. vonfink13

vonfink13 New Member

i just did the test and the iphone beat my droid everytime...by maybe 10 secs...that means nothing to me...i like how the guy is horribly depressed over this test..so,so depressing....it took my droid 35 secs to load engadget..i am cool with that..
  14. thaJack

thaJack New Member

I thought it funny that the guy said in the video that if he owned either of the two (Android) phones he would be back exchanging them.

Good for him. If the browser is the only reason he thinks the iPhone is better than the Droid then he's completely missing out on virtually everything. And I'd be willing to argue the Droid's browser is better, too.
  15. CorvetteAustin24

Here is a post in the comments section of the full review of the Nexus One on Engadget's site by fatslug

"Hey Engadet if you are going to test a webpage and it's load times how about testing one that follows web standards???

Your website has over 1300 errors on it according to the w3c. If you are going to trash other peoples products for being slow or not loading, maybe it could be because people who DO NOT KNOW HOW to develop webpages are at fault.

Proof in the pudding:

[Invalid] Markup Validation of http://www.engadget.com/ - W3C Markup Validator"
  16. Tegamal

Tegamal New Member

I saw a head to head video of the iPhone 3g & the Droid on Phonedog, I think? The guy was saying The droid loaded up faster, the droid did this better, etc, yet at the end, he thought the iPhone was the "clear" winner. :blink:

EDIT: Here's all three parts of that video.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  17. CorvetteAustin24

Yep, it was Noah. He does a good job explaining things and pointing out strengths and weaknesses, but his opinion seems to be a little biased, especially since he has an iphone and lives in san francisco, which I believe I heard was one of the main cities affected by AT&T's poor service.
  18. valnar

valnar New Member

That was the most unscientific test possible. My dog has more credibility after that.
  19. Mojo

Mojo New Member

I just did the test with that video going, and my droid beat both the droid and nexus1. I phone was faster, but not by much. And not nearly as bad as what the video showed.
  20. Edmvr6

Edmvr6 New Member

Droids hands down has better service.. these tests mean nothing to me.