Dying to use 928Droid's epic Black Glass theme, but I have some questions

Daali

Reaction score
Hey all.

I am rooted and bloatware .bak'd, but that is it. I am dying to utilize 928Droid's Black Glass theme, but I have some safety questions.

1. Without the true 2.2 .SBF, is it "safe" to install the clockworkmod or SBRecovery?
  2. If it is "safe" to do, is it "easy" to remove in case of OTA update to fix the froyo issues without the true 2.2 sbf?
  3. Do I need to install the above just to add a theme?

Thanks for all the help!

4freese

Reaction score
I believe it is safe due to themes only messing with system files and the TBH sfb fixes system files. I have done it with no issues thus far. A matter of fact the TBH sbf fixed my Droid eye boot loop after the OTA. Just make sure you are rooted and deodexed, but I believe his theme deodexes for you.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
Daali

Daali

Reaction score
I believe it is safe due to themes only messing with system files and the TBH sfb fixes system files. I have done it with no issues thus far. A matter of fact the TBH sbf fixed my Droid eye boot loop after the OTA. Just make sure you are rooted and deodexed, but I believe his theme deodexes for you.

Thanks for the reply!

Do you have SBRecovery or Clockworkmod on installed?
If clockworkmod, did you install it with RSDLite or ROMManager?

No disrespect to anyone or any application, but I am thinking I should learn the RSDlite method first, is this a valid thought?

4freese

Reaction score
I installed with Rom manager. If you want to learn RSDlite method then great, however I like for these things to be done for me by apps. Just takes out the middle man and saves Time IMHO.

Sent from my X using tapatalk

carcrazygts2

Reaction score
I am running the OTA update with tranquility, 928Droids black glass. I chose to do everything manually eXcept the bootstrapper. I have had 0 issues. I am actually quite happy with my phone now. I was glad to get rid of blur and all the bloatware.

stngfreek

Reaction score
I am running the OTA update with tranquility, 928Droids black glass. I chose to do everything manually eXcept the bootstrapper. I have had 0 issues. I am actually quite happy with my phone now. I was glad to get rid of blur and all the bloatware.

Agreed,
I loaded this theme yesterday and used the DEoDEXXER version. it went without a hitch, looks great and my X is that much faster for it.
It trully is what the X should have been.

I used Rom manager and Clockwork recovery for everything, nice and smooth.

elvis205

Reaction score
One more question if I install 982 theme will I still get ota updates or will I have to flash it back to stock

OP
Daali

Daali

Reaction score
Hey all.

I am rooted and bloatware .bak'd, but that is it. I am dying to utilize 928Droid's Black Glass theme, but I have some safety questions.

• Without the true 2.2 .SBF, is it "safe" to install the clockworkmod or SBRecovery?
  • If it is "safe" to do, is it "easy" to remove in case of OTA update to fix the froyo issues without the true 2.2 sbf?
  • Do I need to install the above just to add a theme?

Thanks for all the help!

Well, I got it installed, but I had issues. lol Not 928Droid issues, but something funky happened.

1. I don't know what happened, but I purchased the Droid X Recovery from the market, was successful installing the bootstrap, went to boot to recovery to make a nandroid backup and boot looped at the eye!

2. no idea yet as I haven't had to do it yet

3. See below.

Ok so I boot looped, here is my message for help in another section:
I pulled down Droid X Recovery Mod from the marketplace and installed it fine. I have OTA 2.2, rooted via sdb

Pulled it up and it asked for Superuser access, I granted.

Tapped “Bootstrap Recovery.”
Got “Success!” and tapped OK and hit “Reboot Recovery.”

Now it only loops at the droid splash screen.

Is there any hope?

I can battery pull and get to the regular recovery screen.

I can get RSDlite to see phone in bootloader 30.03 mode(camera/volume down boot). Is my only recourse to flash the TBH released .13?

I have bloatware renamed, am I capable of doing the "wipe data /factory reset" to get any further?

Didn't get any responses, so I forged ahead.

ok. so here is my recovery.

Booted into stock recovery mode and wipe data/factory reset a couple times to no avail.
Booted into Bootloader 30.03 and used RSDLite 4.8 and TBH's 2.3.13 sbf - This got me back into the phone!
Rooted phone
Applied Droid X Recovery from Market
Applied RomManager premium from Market
Successfully booted into clockwork recovery
reboot
Applied 928Droid's BacktoStock2.3.15
Applied 928Droid's blackGlass Deodeeer(spelling)

Currently reinstalling and adjusting my junk. lol

Thanks to 928Droid and Team Black Hat for the sbf and cool apps to help me out!

carcrazygts2

Reaction score
Did grant bootstrapper and rom manager full su permissions? I had this same osar and they actually didn't have persons.....

DJORDAN

Reaction score
928 Droid X (SAFE)

I just installed 928 Droid X and it's (DAM NICE DAM NICE) Man he's good!!! I installed it over FlyX with no problems at all. Boot up took about five minutes or so. I had another DX on standby so I tried it. I got love for everyone trying to make the DX better. I have tried most DX roms if not all and I'll telling you, no one has put it down like this 928 - Hell I might sleep with this phone tonight.

Dam Nice Dam Nice

Last edited:

j_acm

Reaction score
I'm a big time noob. I just learned how to root a phone. But I really want that black glass theme and would love to have a black status bar. I running 2.2 ota droid x. Should I even try this since I just learned how to root?

DJORDAN

Reaction score
928DroidX is Very Nice
61cd3823-bae3-b424.jpg
61cd3823-bafb-8c49.jpg
61cd3823-bb0d-fb67.jpg
61cd3823-bb22-234f.jpg
61cd3823-bb35-2134.jpg

Droid X - Rom: 928DroidX

B.Wallace85

Reaction score
I'm a big time noob. I just learned how to root a phone. But I really want that black glass theme and would love to have a black status bar. I running 2.2 ota droid x. Should I even try this since I just learned how to root?

I'm somewhat in the same boat. Rooting and the concept of it came quite easy but I'd like the Black Glass theme. I just don't see any clear cut, step by step instructions. I even THOROUGHLY read 928's thread on the theme for the DROID X. Guess I'll just wait until I find step by step instructions or someone who can apply the theme to my phone for me.

stngfreek

Reaction score

I'm somewhat in the same boat. Rooting and the concept of it came quite easy but I'd like the Black Glass theme. I just don't see any clear cut, step by step instructions. I even THOROUGHLY read 928's thread on the theme for the DROID X. Guess I'll just wait until I find step by step instructions or someone who can apply the theme to my phone for me.

1.Download and install Droid X Bootstrapper. Click bootstrap Recovery
2.Download Rom Manager and Flash Clockwork Recovery Mod.
3.Use Rom Manager to "Backup Current Rom"
4.Download the 928DroidX theme (Deodexxer version if you haven't done anything else to your phone)
5.Use Rom manager to "Install Rom from SD Card" - choose 928.
6. Wait for first boot. and you are now themed and deodexed and you will have a backup to go back to rooted stock.
7. I would suggest making another ROM backup after you are themed and Deodexed as well, for that warm and fuzzy feeling.

That's about as basic install instructions as you are gonna see on this thread. If you still need more info on getting that far, just keep searching and reading forums. I spent two weeks just making sure I knew what and how to do Rooting. So I can surely Empathize.

As far as safety and OTA issues.... No one can say for sure really if Verizon pushes another Froyo update that Rooted users will be able to just jump right on without going back to stock. Or any other steps.

But that is the Risk vs Reward that we take with Rooting our devices.

I have faith in the community that someone will release that sbf as soon as they can. Until then, I am really not worried about what Verizon will do since this theme and the FlyX Rom have made my phone so much better than what Verizon gave us to start with.

Always do what you are comfortable with doing, but only after you have done that proper level of research and understand where you are and where you are headed.

OK sorry for the Soap Box!
Happy Trails.