Help please-idiot at the helm

Jaeger

Reaction score
I am running a droid x, rooted with the 2.2 OTA update.

I attempted to install 928droids black glass theme. I used the version that is supposed to deodex the phone.
I installed it in on my sd card and attempted to install from Clockworkmod. It says that it successfully installed but is now stick on the "M" screen during reboot.

I pulled the battery and got the Clockworkmod menu back up and attempted to restore from the backup that I had done prior to doing the black glass install.

It says checking MD5 sums then says MD5 mismatch and puts me back into the menu.

How can I put my phone back to the way it was?

Tesler32

Reaction score

I attempted to install 928droids black glass theme. I used the version that is supposed to deodex the phone.
I installed it in on my sd card and attempted to install from Clockworkmod. It says that it successfully installed but is now stick on the "M" screen during reboot.

I pulled the battery and got the Clockworkmod menu back up and attempted to restore from the backup that I had done prior to doing the black glass install.

It says checking MD5 sums then says MD5 mismatch and puts me back into the menu.

Sounds like your backup file got corrupted some how. Hmm never have had that happen before. You can always factory reset your device if you are on the offical OTA 2.2. Google will reinstall all of your free/paid apps. Sounds like your phone is not deodexed when you installed your theme. I had to deodex my 2.2 ota manually was pretty simple there is a post somewhere with step by step directions. How that helps

OP
J

Jaeger

Reaction score
That didn't work either. I selected wipe data/factory reset and while it says it was successful, nothing changes. I go right back to "M". If I pull the battery and restart I go back to clockworkmod recovery.

TheJester34

Reaction score

There was your problem. Black Glass does NOT deodex your phone. That particular theme variation is meant for a phone that has been deodexed already, i.e. you have to do it yourself before you apply that theme. There's a version for odexed 2.2 if you want.

Casen

Reaction score

There was your problem. Black Glass does NOT deodex your phone. That particular theme variation is meant for a phone that has been deodexed already, i.e. you have to do it yourself before you apply that theme. There's a version for odexed 2.2 if you want.

Yes, there is a theme that deodexes, and applies the theme. Its applied like a SBF, and it does the job. But he must had a bad file, or forgot a step. So, again, do a normal SBF, then go from there again. Semi-bricked phones are NO fun.

OP
J

Jaeger

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys. I tried following the directions for unbricking a phone to no avail. It would not successfully flash.

I tried your link as well but the SBF will not fully extract. I'm not sure why.

Tomorrow I will take it to the Verizon store with tech support and let them have at it.

I am so pissed at myself for doing this to a phone that was working beautifully. I can tell you this, when I get the phone back up and running I will root it, install a few choice apps and leave it at that. No more tinkering with things I have no business tinkering with.

Casen

Reaction score
They will moe than likely order you a new phone, (refurbished) if you tell them it happened during the backup assistance. Be prepared to be phoneless for a while.... If you wanna try the sbf again, I can try to yahoo messenger you through it, or aim or whatever

OP
J

Jaeger

Reaction score
Well, I re downloaded the newer RSD and the sbf using a different download source. Success!!! dancedroid
Now I just have to figure out how to put everything back..........

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Casen

Reaction score
Well, I re downloaded the newer RSD and the sbf using a different download source. Success!!! dancedroid
Now I just have to figure out how to put everything back..........

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Glad to hear your success. Enjoy your "new" phone again.

OP
J

Jaeger

Reaction score
New is about right. Everything is wiped out. I tried rooting again but it won't take. If I can get that done I can relink Titanium and restore my apps.

Casen

Reaction score
:blackberry:
New is about right. Everything is wiped out. I tried rooting again but it won't take. If I can get that done I can relink Titanium and restore my apps.
Try the doroot method for droid 2 if not already. I'm moving today and have a long drive so won't be able to help much. Good luck.

OP
J

Jaeger

Reaction score
Thanks. That's the method I used before and that's what I tried again today. I'll get it. I'm just glad it's up and running again.
I restored some of my apps along with Launcher Pro and it's actually running pretty well.

Casen

Reaction score
During the sbf process you moved the tools folder...did you move it back to doroot?

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Thanks for the advice guys. I tried following the directions for unbricking a phone to no avail. It would not successfully flash.

I tried your link as well but the SBF will not fully extract. I'm not sure why.

Tomorrow I will take it to the Verizon store with tech support and let them have at it.

I am so pissed at myself for doing this to a phone that was working beautifully. I can tell you this, when I get the phone back up and running I will root it, install a few choice apps and leave it at that. No more tinkering with things I have no business tinkering with.

Run RSDLite as an Admin.