1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Dying to use 928Droid's epic Black Glass theme, but I have some questions

Discussion in 'Droid X Hacks' started by Daali, Sep 30, 2010.

1. Daali

Daali New Member

Hey all.

I am rooted and bloatware .bak'd, but that is it. I am dying to utilize 928Droid's Black Glass theme, but I have some safety questions.

1. Without the true 2.2 .SBF, is it "safe" to install the clockworkmod or SBRecovery?
    2. If it is "safe" to do, is it "easy" to remove in case of OTA update to fix the froyo issues without the true 2.2 sbf?
    3. Do I need to install the above just to add a theme?

Thanks for all the help!
  2. elvis205

elvis205 New Member

I too am wondering the same thing
  3. 4freese

4freese New Member

I believe it is safe due to themes only messing with system files and the TBH sfb fixes system files. I have done it with no issues thus far. A matter of fact the TBH sbf fixed my Droid eye boot loop after the OTA. Just make sure you are rooted and deodexed, but I believe his theme deodexes for you.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  4. Daali

Daali New Member

Thanks for the reply!

Do you have SBRecovery or Clockworkmod on installed?
    If clockworkmod, did you install it with RSDLite or ROMManager?

No disrespect to anyone or any application, but I am thinking I should learn the RSDlite method first, is this a valid thought?
  5. 4freese

4freese New Member

I installed with Rom manager. If you want to learn RSDlite method then great, however I like for these things to be done for me by apps. Just takes out the middle man and saves Time IMHO.

Sent from my X using tapatalk
  6. carcrazygts2

carcrazygts2 New Member

I am running the OTA update with tranquility, 928Droids black glass. I chose to do everything manually eXcept the bootstrapper. I have had 0 issues. I am actually quite happy with my phone now. I was glad to get rid of blur and all the bloatware.
  7. stngfreek

stngfreek New Member

Agreed,
    I loaded this theme yesterday and used the DEoDEXXER version. it went without a hitch, looks great and my X is that much faster for it.
    It trully is what the X should have been.

I used Rom manager and Clockwork recovery for everything, nice and smooth.
  8. elvis205

elvis205 New Member

One more question if I install 982 theme will I still get ota updates or will I have to flash it back to stock
  9. Daali

Daali New Member

Well, I got it installed, but I had issues. lol Not 928Droid issues, but something funky happened.

1. I don't know what happened, but I purchased the Droid X Recovery from the market, was successful installing the bootstrap, went to boot to recovery to make a nandroid backup and boot looped at the eye!

2. no idea yet as I haven't had to do it yet

3. See below.

Ok so I boot looped, here is my message for help in another section:
    Didn't get any responses, so I forged ahead.

ok. so here is my recovery.

Booted into stock recovery mode and wipe data/factory reset a couple times to no avail.
    Booted into Bootloader 30.03 and used RSDLite 4.8 and TBH's 2.3.13 sbf - This got me back into the phone!
    Rooted phone
    Applied Droid X Recovery from Market
    Applied RomManager premium from Market
    Successfully booted into clockwork recovery
    reboot
    Applied 928Droid's BacktoStock2.3.15
    Applied 928Droid's blackGlass Deodeeer(spelling)

Currently reinstalling and adjusting my junk. lol

Thanks to 928Droid and Team Black Hat for the sbf and cool apps to help me out!
  10. carcrazygts2

carcrazygts2 New Member

Did grant bootstrapper and rom manager full su permissions? I had this same osar and they actually didn't have persons.....
  11. DJORDAN

DJORDAN New Member

928 Droid X (SAFE)

I just installed 928 Droid X and it's (DAM NICE DAM NICE) Man he's good!!! I installed it over FlyX with no problems at all. Boot up took about five minutes or so. I had another DX on standby so I tried it. I got love for everyone trying to make the DX better. I have tried most DX roms if not all and I'll telling you, no one has put it down like this 928 - Hell I might sleep with this phone tonight.

Dam Nice Dam Nice
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2010
  12. j_acm

j_acm New Member

I'm a big time noob. I just learned how to root a phone. But I really want that black glass theme and would love to have a black status bar. I running 2.2 ota droid x. Should I even try this since I just learned how to root?

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  13. DJORDAN

DJORDAN New Member

928DroidX is Very Nice[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Droid X - Rom: 928DroidX
  14. B.Wallace85

B.Wallace85 New Member

I'm somewhat in the same boat. Rooting and the concept of it came quite easy but I'd like the Black Glass theme. I just don't see any clear cut, step by step instructions. I even THOROUGHLY read 928's thread on the theme for the DROID X. Guess I'll just wait until I find step by step instructions or someone who can apply the theme to my phone for me.
  15. stngfreek

stngfreek New Member

1.Download and install Droid X Bootstrapper. Click bootstrap Recovery
    2.Download Rom Manager and Flash Clockwork Recovery Mod.
    3.Use Rom Manager to "Backup Current Rom"
    4.Download the 928DroidX theme (Deodexxer version if you haven't done anything else to your phone)
    5.Use Rom manager to "Install Rom from SD Card" - choose 928.
    6. Wait for first boot. and you are now themed and deodexed and you will have a backup to go back to rooted stock.
    7. I would suggest making another ROM backup after you are themed and Deodexed as well, for that warm and fuzzy feeling.

That's about as basic install instructions as you are gonna see on this thread. If you still need more info on getting that far, just keep searching and reading forums. I spent two weeks just making sure I knew what and how to do Rooting. So I can surely Empathize.

As far as safety and OTA issues.... No one can say for sure really if Verizon pushes another Froyo update that Rooted users will be able to just jump right on without going back to stock. Or any other steps.

But that is the Risk vs Reward that we take with Rooting our devices.

I have faith in the community that someone will release that sbf as soon as they can. Until then, I am really not worried about what Verizon will do since this theme and the FlyX Rom have made my phone so much better than what Verizon gave us to start with.

Always do what you are comfortable with doing, but only after you have done that proper level of research and understand where you are and where you are headed.

OK sorry for the Soap Box!
    Happy Trails.
  16. DJORDAN

DJORDAN New Member

These are the steps I took to get phone where it is now:

I rooted my phone using adb method, then installed Rom Manager and flashed it, inside download option chose FlyX, after reboot, went back in Rom Manager and backed up current rom, then installed BootStrap Recovery, then downloaded 928DroidX - (the latest one) and installed through BootStrap Rocovery - Done!

(Reboot took about five minutes.)

Note: After 928DroidX is on your sdcard, doesn't matter where, as long as you remember. I used, download folder. Open BootStrap, push the top button, after you see superuser message, push second button and when recovery opens look for install from sd, find 928 and install. Like I said previous, reboot took about five minutes.

17. B.Wallace85

B.Wallace85 New Member

You. Are. AWESOME!

dancedroiddancedroiddancedroid:icon_ banana:dancedroiddancedroiddancedroid
  18. oh9er

oh9er New Member

3 weeks ago I had not ever even held a smartphone in my hand.

I you feel you are able to follow directions to the T, you should have no problem. If you are the type that is always in the situation of "I followed directions but for some reason it did not work", do not expect this to be any different.

ETA: I have rooted (2.1 and 2.2), SBF back to stock, Deodexed, done the "remove verizon" mod, build prop mods including the one in a seperate thread to increase benchmark and installed this theme and all of its seperate components, all without any problems.
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2010
  19. hoops8

hoops8 New Member

In Step 2, you say to download 2 things: Rom Manager and Flash clockwork mod. Am I reading that wrong? I could only find Rom Manager in Market. BTW, is the Droid X Bootstrapper free in Market? Thanks for the clarifications.
  20. DJORDAN

DJORDAN New Member

My bad: After Rom Manager is installed, top option will flash recovery once you pick your device.