Droid3, Milestone 3 previewed

warped1987

Reaction score
Keep in mind, as someone mentioned in the other Thread about the D3, that this phone and the stats are for the "Milestone 3" and not the "Droid 3", they can end up making the D3 way better than the stats are showing for the Milestone 3, which I'm hoping. Because I expected Moto to go all out balls to the wall with this phone, and it seems they just decided to half ass it with a little spunk. When the phone DOES come out I will give it a week and be checking everyones input before I rush out and sell my pretty newly purchased Droid 2 Global and put that money towards the full retail price of the D3 that I have been waiting forever for. If it turns out to be a dud I might bite the bullet and keep looking, maybe for an HTC phone, they seem to know what they are doing when it comes to phones...but I really need/want a real keyboard.

nic8612

Reaction score
For all of you people whining about the lack of 4G on this phone, go look at verizon's site and see how many cities have 4G coverage in the US. Chances are, you aren't even living in or near one of the roughly 50 cities NATIONWIDE that are covered. I live in Louisiana, and as I'm sure many of you can guess, we don't get the newest tech first lol. New Orleans is the only city in all of Louisiana that has 4G. Hell, the town I live in just got 3g last year. By the time 4G rolls out nationwide, a few years will have passed and the Droid 3 will be obsolete anyway and the Droid 5/6 will be out and will have full 4G capability.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Some people want 4g some people dont care...I go back forth on this myself. Some people want more ram than last years devices, some will be fine with 512. Some people want a good screen, some people dont care as much about the screen. Some people want a speed optimized overlay like sense or stock, some can live with blur (the new blur is far from being speed optimized).

It all boils down to personal wants and needs...just dont let a device hold u in the past for 2 years cuz it lacks in an area that you need in a phone.

Sent from my fascinate

funwheeldrive

Reaction score
For all of you people whining about the lack of 4G on this phone, go look at verizon's site and see how many cities have 4G coverage in the US. Chances are, you aren't even living in or near one of the roughly 50 cities NATIONWIDE that are covered. I live in Louisiana, and as I'm sure many of you can guess, we don't get the newest tech first lol. New Orleans is the only city in all of Louisiana that has 4G. Hell, the town I live in just got 3g last year. By the time 4G rolls out nationwide, a few years will have passed and the Droid 3 will be obsolete anyway and the Droid 5/6 will be out and will have full 4G capability.

At the very least it would be nice to have most newer phones capable of turning off and on the 4g. That way if you live in an area you can use it, and if its not in your town you can just disable it and be one your way.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score
Pentile screen is already a reason to not get it but now that it's saying 512 mb of ram I am definitely not getting it. It was probably going to be my choice if the Function took too long to come out. Guess I'll just be waiting. Moto has been QUITE unimpressive all year.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

darkmatter

Reaction score
Check out this review on the droid x2. It sums up alot of what I have been trying say. I assume the bionic and droid 3 will have similiar technology. http://www.droid-life.com/2011/06/13/motorola-droidx2-review-verizon/

Sent from my fascinate

That review has an interesting point. Saying that since tegra2 system on a chip doesn't have its own ram, it has to use the phone's. Does the TI OMAP chipset that we expect to be in D3 and Bionic have dedicated ram for the gpu?

warped1987

Reaction score
Check out this review on the droid x2. It sums up alot of what I have been trying say. I assume the bionic and droid 3 will have similiar technology. Motorola DROIDX2 Review – Verizon - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Sent from my fascinate

That review has an interesting point. Saying that since tegra2 system on a chip doesn't have its own ram, it has to use the phone's. Does the TI OMAP chipset that we expect to be in D3 and Bionic have dedicated ram for the gpu?

The sites chart says the Milestone 3 has the Nvidia Tegra2, so the Droid 3 might have it as well, then we are definitely screwed, this phones release is really starting to scare me. I have a feeling Moto is going to drop the ball on this phone.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Check out this review on the droid x2. It sums up alot of what I have been trying say. I assume the bionic and droid 3 will have similiar technology. Motorola DROIDX2 Review – Verizon - Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog

Sent from my fascinate

The sites chart says the Milestone 3 has the Nvidia Tegra2, so the Droid 3 might have it as well, then we are definitely screwed, this phones release is really starting to scare me. I have a feeling Moto is going to drop the ball on this phone.
Well, FWIW I have the Tegra2 and 512MB on the Viewsonic gTab (yeah, yeah, I know...apples and oranges) and it's not only way faster than my OG Droid, but runs a port of Honeycomb fine. Probably not a meaningful comparison, but it makes me less concerned. On the other hand that PenTile screen...not so good...

-Matt

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Some people want 4g some people dont care...I go back forth on this myself. Some people want more ram than last years devices, some will be fine with 512. Some people want a good screen, some people dont care as much about the screen. Some people want a speed optimized overlay like sense or stock, some can live with blur (the new blur is far from being speed optimized).

It all boils down to personal wants and needs...just dont let a device hold u in the past for 2 years cuz it lacks in an area that you need in a phone.

Sent from my fascinate

And some people want IT ALL, and are willing to pay for it. But it seems no one will make such a phone. Just too scared about pricing a phone $350 on contract, I suppose. And maybe the market who will pay for top-of-the-line everything is fairly small. I don't know.

darkmatter

Reaction score

Sent from my fascinate

The chart says tegra2, but the article says TI, and everything else we've seen so far points to TI. That chart is the -only- source I've seen indicating tegra2. Though, in all honesty, tegra2 is still fine, though it would make me worry even more about 512ram.

To be fair, D3 will be running an even newer version of blur. And by most accounts, its getting better with each new version. One can only hope with moto taking a look at what's using what resources (as indicated with their statement about apps and battery life) that they've also taken a good hard look at their own software, ie blur.

jedihep

Reaction score
Call me optimistic but I'm hoping for a pleasant surprise at release time from the D3. Hoping for a disinformation campaign on the part of Motorola just to throw us off the track and thusly create more buzz about the phone. I know it's probably wishful thinking on my part but I'm not giving up hope until it's released!

Beka27

Reaction score

Sent from my fascinate

And some people want IT ALL, and are willing to pay for it. But it seems no one will make such a phone. Just too scared about pricing a phone $350 on contract, I suppose. And maybe the market who will pay for top-of-the-line everything is fairly small. I don't know.

Maybe someday we will be able to "build our own device" the same way you can add options to a new car:

LTE: yes
Pentile: no
FF Camera: no
Bloatware: no
Unlocked: yes

Yeah... Wishful thinking ;o)

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Beka27

Reaction score

Sent from my fascinate

Maybe someday we will be able to "build our own device" the same way you can add options (sunroof, rims, leather) to a new car:

LTE: yes
Pentile: no
FF Camera: no
Bloatware: no
Unlocked: yes

Yeah... Wishful thinking ;o)