Droid3, Milestone 3 previewed

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
Why is everyone hating on the ram? Bionic was set with 512. Atrix has 512 + 512 for webtop.. am I missing something?

It depends on what you are using the phone for and if you don't mind a little lag. On most phones 512 is not all available for apps, usually about 360 or so is available. Some things like launchers, overlays (ex: blur), games, future OSs, push services, and more are very memory intensive. So if you are playing plants vs zombies, have Launcher pro plus with friends widget, on a blur phone, with email push notifications running in bg... your phone may lag or freeze.
Steve, thanks for the clarification on the D3. I'll keep my fingers crossed that some of the leaked specs are wrong!

-Matt

No problem Matt! Like others have said it will be no slouch, you will just have to keep an on eye memory probably. I am sure the processor cache will help, but I am not sure what is allocated to processor cache, or how it works on android opposed to a computer.

Sent from my fascinate

XanRules

Reaction score
What's wrong with a Pentile screen?

Serious question, I don't understand this crap.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
Specs show Nvidia Tegra2 CPU again. Still unclear whether Motorola will go with nVidia or TI. I would expect at least 8GB of storage for apps, pics, etc like some other Motorola phones have. I'm not 100% convinced that this phone will replace my Droid 1... even if I could afford it :wink: Here's the big pics: 摩托罗拉Droid 3|XDA智能手机网 |智能手机︱评测︱软件︱游æˆï¸±ä¸‹è½½ï¸±æŽ¨è︱智能手机导购︱HTC BTW: You can open the xda.cn website in Google Chrome browser and it will automatically offer to translate the page for you.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
It may be no slouch, correct. It may run better than a stock fascinate, d1, or inc. But this phone will definitely have some lag. Blur and Moto's way of handle available ram will hinder the device somewhat.

Definitely have some lag? Tell that to my Droid Pro. Zero lag. I have a tough time believing that a further streamlined version of Blur on better hardware will be worse the current versions.

Specs show Nvidia Tegra2 CPU again. Still unclear whether Motorola will go with nVidia or TI.

It's not unclear for the Droid 3/Milestone 3. It's an OMAP processor. Not a Tegra 2. It's clear in the benchmarks from several weeks back and in these recent ones.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
comparing a stock droid pro (my uncles) to a stock 2 global (mine), there is a definite advantage in having double the ram. he doesnt root (oh noes the root police will find him :eyeroll:) and I have a (buil.prop) modified fission running. Very very noticeable speed difference.

vzdroid13

Reaction score
As thick as that phone is, they could have put an LTE chip in it. I don't think the omap processors have the 4g problems like the Tehran 2 do they?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using DroidForums

Immolate

Reaction score
This is a serious question, how much of a deal is the ram? I mean I have 70-80 free on froyo on my OG and it runs great. Rooted of course. So how much do we really need to be free on android for it to run well?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

Part of what makes Froyo (and Gingerbread) fast is the use of RAM to make applications ready to be used without having to be go to disk to retrieve them. The Android releases will use as much RAM as their respective algorithms deem optimal to provide the fastest response possible. Because of this, maintaining maximum free ROM is counterproductive. It also makes responses to your question that try to prescribe a "good" amount of free RAM pointless.

RAM is the fastest type of storage on your phone. The static memory built into the phone is much slower, but faster than the sdcard. Because RAM is so much faster than the other memories in the phone, applications that are resident there are accessed much more quickly. The more RAM you have, the more applications can be resident in it, and the more likely that the next application you (or your phone) chose to use will already be loaded. It can make a big difference in perceived speed.

So RAM isn't everything, but it's something... and something important.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
As thick as that phone is, they could have put an LTE chip in it.

Not really. The bottom half of the phone, where the majority of the mechanics are housed, is quite thin. Far too thin for current LTE radios.

pwrdbykyank

Reaction score
question to those of you who i see keep mentioning why make 4g phones if not all areas offer 4g service... dont 4g phones use 3g in areas that dont offer 4g? why implement old technology when 4g phones can still use 3g in 3g areas for those who cant use the 4g untill it is added in their area? So in making droid 3 a 3G phone, then 2 months later, for someone who is in a 3g only area gets 4g in that area, what is that person suppose to do, suck up and live with it for 2 years? id would be nice to asume all new phones come with 4g capability and if your area doesnt have it, oh well u can use ur 3g on your 4g untill you get 4g service in your area. Anyone else with me?

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
question to those of you who i see keep mentioning why make 4g phones if not all areas offer 4g service... dont 4g phones use 3g in areas that dont offer 4g? why implement old technology when 4g phones can still use 3g in 3g areas for those who cant use the 4g untill it is added in their area? So in making droid 3 a 3G phone, then 2 months later, for someone who is in a 3g only area gets 4g in that area, what is that person suppose to do, suck up and live with it for 2 years? id would be nice to asume all new phones come with 4g capability and if your area doesnt have it, oh well u can use ur 3g on your 4g untill you get 4g service in your area. Anyone else with me?

That's not how big companies see it...especially after all the problems 4g lte is having...you don't understand that 4glte is still not perfect...so why make a 4g only lineup of phones that won't let u take full advantage of it. Its took years to get 3g nationwide and its estimated it will take up to 2015 to fully roll out 4g nationwide

Sent from my DROID2

Immolate

Reaction score

Quite right. There's LTE in Daytona to my north, Sanford to my south, but only 3G in my area. I never see the 4G icon except when I got to Orlando every week. But I expect the 4G will come sooner or later, and I don't want to buy a new phone that doesn't support it. I've had a Tbolt for about two months.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
true...motorola has been unimpressive this year....

anyways, Im an old pc nerd, and my experience has always been that running the ram as empty as possible will give (slight) benefits to the performance of the program being run on top. granted we cant mix pc's with cell phones, namely there is no virtual memory bottleneck (i guess sd swap counts) but old habits die hard