Droid3, Milestone 3 previewed

jedihep

Reaction score
Maybe someday we will be able to "build our own device" the same way you can add options to a new car:

LTE: yes
Pentile: no
FF Camera: no
Bloatware: no
Unlocked: yes

Yeah... Wishful thinking ;o)[/QUOTE]

Don't know why you'd think it's wishful thinking! Just a few years ago you could only get a PC from a few manufactures and could only get one or two different models. Now you can custom order what you want from a wide range of manufactures if the models that they offer aren't to your liking! Give it time! 10 years ago smartphones and tablets were still the stuff of geek dreams and sci-fi! Can't wait!

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Some people want 4g some people dont care...I go back forth on this myself. Some people want more ram than last years devices, some will be fine with 512. Some people want a good screen, some people dont care as much about the screen. Some people want a speed optimized overlay like sense or stock, some can live with blur (the new blur is far from being speed optimized).

It all boils down to personal wants and needs...just dont let a device hold u in the past for 2 years cuz it lacks in an area that you need in a phone.

Sent from my fascinate

And yet the launcher and lock screen is less laggy than the last version of Blur.

And really....all the ppl that had a busted GPS with the GS1 didnt really complain about Pentile. Same for ppl with an Incredible, no real complaints about Pentile. If I had to choose I wouldnt get a phone with it...BUT...if everything else is what I want...I can live with Pentile.

There is no such thing as a fail phone. If you can live with the cons of the phone, it will be the best phone in the world to you. I can live with the cons of the Droid X, to me it was the best phone on Verizon last year.

Just like last year, all these upcoming and current phones are for the most part pretty good phones.

Bilgediver

Reaction score
question to those of you who i see keep mentioning why make 4g phones if not all areas offer 4g service... dont 4g phones use 3g in areas that dont offer 4g? why implement old technology when 4g phones can still use 3g in 3g areas for those who cant use the 4g untill it is added in their area? So in making droid 3 a 3G phone, then 2 months later, for someone who is in a 3g only area gets 4g in that area, what is that person suppose to do, suck up and live with it for 2 years? id would be nice to asume all new phones come with 4g capability and if your area doesnt have it, oh well u can use ur 3g on your 4g untill you get 4g service in your area. Anyone else with me?

Not everyone can afford/want/need the best of the best. You realize that those of us in forums like these are only a handful, a needle in a haystack, if you will. I bet you these phones were in the works long before 4G came out, so to scrap it halfway through the design/prototype phase and redesign it to accomodate LTE radios is a bit "meh". They are still amazing devices, and it could be Verizon itself is trying to SLOWLY not only roll out their networks, but also their user base. I'm quite sure if they slammed their current limited 4G networks with massive amounts of users right away it would slow to a crawl and then there would be nothing but bad press, the same bad press that AT&T gets.

funwheeldrive

Reaction score
Not everyone can afford/want/need the best of the best. You realize that those of us in forums like these are only a handful, a needle in a haystack, if you will. I bet you these phones were in the works long before 4G came out, so to scrap it halfway through the design/prototype phase and redesign it to accomodate LTE radios is a bit "meh". They are still amazing devices, and it could be Verizon itself is trying to SLOWLY not only roll out their networks, but also their user base. I'm quite sure if they slammed their current limited 4G networks with massive amounts of users right away it would slow to a crawl and then there would be nothing but bad press, the same bad press that AT&T gets.

This is very true. However, in my opinion the original droid series should be the star on Motorola's team. Because it was such a big success, you would think that Motorola would give it all the bells and whistles. Yet, spec wise it is just decent when compared to the competition.

Card

Reaction score
Everything I'm seeing about the Droid 3 is really making me want to wait for the Galaxy S2. It's a shame, because I was originally very pumped about this thing.

- 4G would have been neat, but I didn't see it as a deal-breaker.

- I didn't think the PenTile screen would bug me. I honestly thought people were just fussing over tiny details. But...ugh...it makes things ugly.

- 512MB of RAM is a good leap forward from the D1, but for a flagship phone, I was honestly expecting at least 1GB.

- I love having a physical keyboard. This is the one thing keeping me from giving up on the D3 entirely. The way I see it, there really aren't many top-tier Android devices coming out with a keyboard.

Motoralla is taking two steps forward and one step back.

Cool avatar. I have that exact image of Megaman tattooed on my leg (Protoman on the other leg). :)

Bilgediver

Reaction score

This is very true. However, in my opinion the original droid series should be the star on Motorola's team. Because it was such a big success, you would think that Motorola would give it all the bells and whistles. Yet, spec wise it is just decent when compared to the competition.

Oh I agree 100%, the Droid made Motorola Mobility what it is today. They lived off the RAZR for far too long, and grew stagnant and were rapidly on the decline until they came out with the Droid, which is STILL a Dev phone! One could say that the Droid is probably the Developer phone that the Nexus One was supposed to be.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Maybe someday we will be able to "build our own device" the same way you can add options to a new car:

It can't be THAT FAR off. You can do it with computers, and phones - especially tablets - are basically computers now. But I don't know, maybe Apple is the only one with the volume to profit from it and we know they aren't going to offer many options.

I think a big part of it is that no one wants to sell a device a consumer could actually go 3-4 years without needing to upgrade. Goes back to the carrier subsidy as well, which I keep pointing out is screwing a competitive market. Take away the carrier subsidy and, first of all, these things would retail well below $600 and, second of all, the consumer wouldn't tolerate marginal upgrades and trade-offs.

C'mon, even tablets only have mostly storage options and 3G/Wifi - you don't get a choice of screen size (within a specific model), or processors, or keyboards, ram, etc...They can crank out a netbook with 8 different configs, so what's the deal?

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
OK, I realize this sounds like an off-topic question--but since locked vs. unlocked bootloaders on Motorola phones IS relevant to this thread--what happened to the lead story on Motorola and unlocking? It got pulled? How come?

-Matt

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

jeffcicale

Reaction score
what happened to the lead story on Motorola and unlocking?

This one? Motorola to change bootloader policy, release software update later this year | MobileSyrup.com

I was surprised when I didn't see this in droidnews... got this link from reddit and was going to repost it myself later. Weird.
No, I mean...it was here on droidforums for half of yesterday, then...POOF! I'm curious who pulled the story and why...

-Matt

I noticed that this morning too...I want a Droid 3 now!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

jeffcicale

Reaction score
This one? Motorola to change bootloader policy, release software update later this year | MobileSyrup.com

I was surprised when I didn't see this in droidnews... got this link from reddit and was going to repost it myself later. Weird.
No, I mean...it was here on droidforums for half of yesterday, then...POOF! I'm curious who pulled the story and why...

-Matt

I noticed that this morning too...I want a Droid 3 now!

Since it would let me modify my post I'm posting again... read the article very disappointed. Guess it will have to be a thunderbolt or something similar.

slinky

Reaction score
Very disappointed in this. I was relying on this being my upgrade from my D1. I'm one of the few that prefer a physical keyboard vs touchscreen.
If you click the microphone button on the keyboard and speak, you'll never use the keyboard again except when out of range. I will say that the D3 512MB Ram makes it an immediate no purchase if true but this is a consolation.

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
512mb ram, pentile screen, please don't buy this phone anyone. It will be a mistake.

I gotta ask, have you even seen the DX2 and used it? My lady's father just got one through work, and Its a nice phone. Its very fluid and the pentile only looks bad with the phone directly up to your face. If you hold it more then 12" away from you it looks better then the DX screen.

I'm not a huge fan of the tech or the crappy pixel color layout, but pentile is not as bad as everyone is making it out to be. Now 512mb of ram is a different story.. Would have liked to see at least 768mb or even 1gb. Hopefully its not the same ram that is in the DX. Then again, the DX2 and D3 are just refreshes of the old phones. Not new models.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I have seen the DX2 screen many times. I was going to buy the phone. I was at Verizon checking it out this weekend again. While still not good, it's starting to bother me less and less each time I see it. If the phone didnt have memory allocation issues and low ram, it wouldn't be a bad device. HDMI mirroring is pretty sweet.