Droid X vs Droid 2

Reaction score
I purchased the Droid 2 Global about a week ago, and I'm having some doubts. The first thing that bothers me is that the Droid 2 has this slide out keyboard, yet with a case attached to the phone, the top keys are very difficult to use. The second thing is the battery life. After minimal usage, I am getting about 18 hours out of the battery from 100% to 5%. Not too bad, but could be a whole lot better, especially if it's not being used very often(phone call here, text or two there...)

I'm beginning to think the virtual keyboard w/ swype would due just fine. The Droid X has: the bigger screen, better camera, hdmi, bigger storage, bigger battery, and is easily rooted. I have heard the Droid X battery is the best out of the Android lineup.

I have one week to exchange. What do you think??? Personal opinions are welcome :)

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Yes, you'll do fine with Swype.

Take it back. Get the Thunderbolt. Thank me later.

UltraDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 3, straight stock
I purchased the Droid 2 Global about a week ago, and I'm having some doubts. The first thing that bothers me is that the Droid 2 has this slide out keyboard, yet with a case attached to the phone, the top keys are very difficult to use. The second thing is the battery life. After minimal usage, I am getting about 18 hours out of the battery from 100% to 5%. Not too bad, but could be a whole lot better, especially if it's not being used very often(phone call here, text or two there...)

I'm beginning to think the virtual keyboard w/ swype would due just fine. The Droid X has: the bigger screen, better camera, hdmi, bigger storage, bigger battery, and is easily rooted. I have heard the Droid X battery is the best out of the Android lineup.

I have one week to exchange. What do you think??? Personal opinions are welcome :)

Take it back and get the Droid X - a fabulous phone, and fairly easy to root. Kodiak is right about the HTC Thunderbolt, but the Droid X is a great phone and you'll get a good deal on the pricing. You can grab a T-Bolt later, when the pricing on that phone comes down.

-Mike

OP
H
Reaction score
Yes, you'll do fine with Swype.

Take it back. Get the Thunderbolt. Thank me later.

It isn't available until the 24th, and I only have until the 20th to do the swap. I could always of course return this phone for the X, then when the TB comes out, I can swap it again. This doesn't appeal to me only because of the $35 restocking fee they hit you with each time you trade out :(

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I think but I'm not possitive that you can only do the swap once. In any case the x is a solid device and I would pick it over the global for sure. Nothing against the global its just that currently there is more device support for the x and I think the global is likely to get passed over.

tappin and a talkin

AliasOther

Reaction score
I am so mad about Gingerbread. I just discovered what rooting does for the DroidX. And I have not seen a way to root in 2.3.

I have locked my phone up twice trying. I am tired of companies trying to charge for something the phone already does.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
H
Reaction score
I think but I'm not possitive that you can only do the swap once. In any case the x is a solid device and I would pick it over the global for sure. Nothing against the global its just that currently there is more device support for the x and I think the global is likely to get passed over.

tappin and a talkin

Would they let me do a straight return on the Global, and pre-order the Thunderbolt, I wonder?

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

tappin and a talkin

Would they let me do a straight return on the Global, and pre-order the Thunderbolt, I wonder?

Although I find it a little unlikely, anythings possible. The tb is probably going to run you in the neighborhood of $200-$300 and in my experience companies are willing to bend a little when they stand to make some money out of the deal, only problem is vzw has been pretty stingy about these upgrade matters. What I would do is go in to the store(preferably a bigger corporate store) and tell them you are unsatisfied with the global and tell them you're interested in the tb. Don't mention the x. See what they're willing to do for you.

tappin and a talkin

spaz33g

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I am so mad about Gingerbread. I just discovered what rooting does for the DroidX. And I have not seen a way to root in 2.3.

I have locked my phone up twice trying. I am tired of companies trying to charge for something the phone already does.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Gingerbread will be out for the x at some point. Just have faith and patience.

What do you mean about the charging you for something the phone does?

tappin and a talkin

OP
H
Reaction score
Great News! I talked to a Verizon rep, and she told me to return the device before the 14 days, and tell them I don't want to upgrade right now. She said don't mention the Thunderbolt or anything, because of the worry free guarantee that verizon has, if i tell them i just dont want to upgrade right now, everything reverses like I never upgraded. Then when the TB drops on the 24th, go in there and say hello to my little friend! :icon_ banana: Thanks for the replies fellazz

THUNDERBOLT CAN'T GET HERE SOON ENOUGH!!!

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't think you have to swap. You can just return the D2, wait a few days, and then get the TB. I'm sure if you tell them you want to wait for the TB they will accommodate you.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
I don't think you have to swap. You can just return the D2, wait a few days, and then get the TB. I'm sure if you tell them you want to wait for the TB they will accommodate you.

Or wait a little longer and get the D3
Sent from a Liberated Droid 2 using the DF app.

dirtyfingers

Reaction score
My wife has the d2g because she didn't think she could go without the keyboard and didn't like the size of the X. Now she barely ever uses the keyboard and has told me several times that she wishes she would have got the X like I did.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk