Droid X successfully overclocked

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hilbe

Reaction score
Mine is very unstable at 1.2ghz / 80. I'm going to play with the voltage. Something isn't quite right yet.

Hilbe

Reaction score
I have no problem cranking the speeds up, but the system is slow when I do. I'm at 1.2ghz / 82 but my Linpack comes in at < 1.5 MFLOPS. The system just feels slow. I'm not sure why it is slowing down at a higher ghz. What are your Linpack scores at 1.26gz?

hijackerjack

Reaction score
I have no problem cranking the speeds up, but the system is slow when I do. I'm at 1.2ghz / 82 but my Linpack comes in at < 1.5 MFLOPS. The system just feels slow. I'm not sure why it is slowing down at a higher ghz. What are your Linpack scores at 1.26gz?

My most recent linpack was 11.7 MFLOP/s. Yeah. When i cranked up to 1.2, it was like 3 MFLOP/s. You need to restart setCPU for it to come into effect i think.

Hilbe

Reaction score

My most recent linpack was 11.7 MFLOP/s. Yeah. When i cranked up to 1.2, it was like 3 MFLOP/s. You need to restart setCPU for it to come into effect i think.

As soon as I type "overclock.sh 1200000 80", the system goes into turtle mode. This is even on a fresh boot, no SetCPU SU, etc. Very puzzling to me.

Hilbe

Reaction score
I tried 1.1ghz at 64 vsel and it was unstable. Linpack in the high 8's to low 9's.

I'm at 68 vsel now. Seems better.

hijackerjack

Reaction score
Something seemed to have happened and i got really unstable at higher frequencies. odd. i can barely make it to 1.231Ghz now.

OP
E

Elkay

Reaction score
I've attached another archive with two additional scripts that you install the same way as you installed overclock.sh into the /system/bin folder. The first, setclock.sh, will allow you to change the clock speed and voltage without uninstalling the kernel module every time. You may need to use SetCPU to force the new clock to take effect.

The second is a sample script showing how you can modify the entire scaling of the processor. This script doesn't have any parameters, it just execute as it is defined. Feel free to adjust the values as you see fit, or modify the script to take parameters for whichever values you want to be variable. Be careful editing, as some of the values are in *Hz*, NOT *Mhz*. If you want to start using only this second script or simply install the kernel module without changing the clock/voltage right away, you can modify the original overclock.sh to not have any parameters, or make a copy of it and edit that. Keep in mind that you should edit any of these scripts ON THE DEVICE, as windows and Linux use different line breaks and the script will not work if you edit in Windows without fixing the carriage returns afterward on the phone. You can get these scripts into a text editor straight from Root Manager by long-holding the file.

I've found that when you overclock it too much, it does go into "turtle" mode. Funny thing is when this happens, sometimes SetCPU will show you running *double* the clock rate you selected. Didn't hurt anything *yet*, it was just painfully slow to remove the kernel module. In fact, it was easier to just reboot the phone. I found it was more related to the voltage than the clock rate. It was when I hit this roadblock that I decided not to go any higher myself. Use caution if you want to mess around within and beyond this region.

Last edited:

hijackerjack

Reaction score
I've attached another archive with two additional scripts that you install the same way as you installed overclock.sh into the /system/bin folder. The first, setclock.sh, will allow you to change the clock speed and voltage without uninstalling the kernel module every time. You may need to use SetCPU to force the new clock to take effect. The second is a sample script showing how you can modify the entire scaling of the processor. This script doesn't have any parameters, it just execute as it is defined. Feel free to adjust the values as you see fit, or modify the script to take parameters for whichever values you want to be variable. Keep in mind that you should edit any of these scripts ON THE DEVICE, as windows and Linux use different line breaks and the script will not work if you edit in Windows without fixing the carriage returns afterward on the phone.

I've found that when you overclock it too much, it does go into "turtle" mode. Funny thing is when this happens, sometimes SetCPU will show you running *double* the clock rate you selected. Didn't hurt anything *yet*, it was just painfully slow to remove the kernel module. In fact, it was easier to just reboot the phone. I found it was more related to the voltage than the clock rate. It was when I hit this roadblock that I decided not to go any higher myself. Use caution if you want to mess around within and beyond this region.

Ive also noticed that turning on WiFi after OC at higher speeds seems to crash the phone. Any ideas?

Also. The Setscaling.sh script seems to give me a "cannot create" error for almost everything. You say execute as defined as in go into terminal and run the script as is right? (like #setscaling.sh)

Last edited:
OP
E

Elkay

Reaction score
I've attached another archive with two additional scripts that you install the same way as you installed overclock.sh into the /system/bin folder. The first, setclock.sh, will allow you to change the clock speed and voltage without uninstalling the kernel module every time. You may need to use SetCPU to force the new clock to take effect. The second is a sample script showing how you can modify the entire scaling of the processor. This script doesn't have any parameters, it just execute as it is defined. Feel free to adjust the values as you see fit, or modify the script to take parameters for whichever values you want to be variable. Keep in mind that you should edit any of these scripts ON THE DEVICE, as windows and Linux use different line breaks and the script will not work if you edit in Windows without fixing the carriage returns afterward on the phone.

Ive also noticed that turning on WiFi after OC at higher speeds seems to crash the phone. Any ideas?

Also. The Setscaling.sh script seems to give me a "cannot create" error for almost everything. You say execute as defined as in go into terminal and run the script as is right? (like #setscaling.sh)

You need to run overclock.sh first.

Hilbe

Reaction score
You can't just run setscaling.sh. You have to load the kernel module first by running "insmod /system/lib/modules/overclock.ko" then run setscaling.

I still haven't achieved stability yet. Pretty touchy. I haven't found a super stable mhz/voltage yet :/

Hilbe

Reaction score
As soon as I type 1200000 into the overclock it does the safe mode of sorts. I am able to clock to 1150000 just fine (reboots of course). I'm trying to figure out the voltage for 1150000 that doesn't result in random reboots.

Hilbe

Reaction score
Anyone care to post their stable values? I'm currently semi-stable at 1150000 / 72.

Linpacks in the low to mid 9's (9.3 to 9.4) on average.

Hilbe

Reaction score
Elkay,

Have you created a startup script to load the module and settings at boot? Feeling pretty good at 1150000 / 72.

No random reboots yet in 10 minutes, knock on wood.

Status
Not open for further replies.