Droid X Overclocked on 2.2

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Originally posted by FreeWILL over at DXF - i did not come up with this just reposting it for more users to see/use

Milestone Overclock Module 1.2t (nadlabak's patch) w/ Memory Locations for DroidX 2.2 Added by FreeWELL

Credits:
Tiago Sousa aka Mirage: for The Milestone Overclock Project
nadlabak: for patching in Froyo/2.2 Support
FreeWELL: for finding DroidX 2.2 memory locations/module compilation

Notes:

I'm trying to keep this as close as possible to the way it was done on 2.1. For me, 2.2 seems to need a little more voltage to be stable than it was under 2.1. I've included two versions of setscaling.sh to start from.

setscaling.sh is set to stock voltages/clock speed

setscaling100.sh is set to stock voltages w/100mhz bump accross the board to 400/700/900/1100 (This appears to be stable for me, and is the baseline for my testing/tuning)

Install Instructions

adb/terminal:
$ su
# cd /sdcard/extracted/droidx_22_oc (or wherever you extracted the files to)
# mount -o rw,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mcblk1p21 /system
# cp overclock.ko /system/lib/modules/overclock.ko
# cp setscaling.sh /system/xbin/setscaling.sh
# chmod 644 /system/lib/modules/overclock.ko
# chmod 755 /system/xbin/setscaling.sh

<optional(only do after thoroughly testing what works for your DroidX in setscaling.sh)>
# cp install-recovery.sh /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
# chmod 755 /system/etc/install-recovery.sh
</optional>

# mount -o ro,remount -t ext3 /dev/block/mcblk1p21 /system

Run Instructions

adb/terminal:

$ su
# insmod /system/lib/modules/overclock.ko
# setscaling.sh

RK KINGKONG

Reaction score
whats up ABE so you actually did this to your DX and alls well ?
I hope so . man Im driving myself crazy reading all this , lots of time I be on GOOGLE trying to figure out what half of this means lol but good learning .,peace hope all is well

OP
Abe21599

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
yea i did do it to mine. just messing around with some of the voltages n all right now.

akappy332

Reaction score
This def works. I'm running 1.3ghz right now at 64 vsel for the max speed. It seems to be pretty stable. I have had a few reboots tho... Android forums has a pretty big thread on this right now and you should check it out if your curious. I'm personally loving it. Though a heade of warning, if you have a launch day DX you may have trouble getting above 1.1ghz outta it. I had a launchday but just replaced it because it was having headphopne issues. My new DX is running the 1.3ghz.

Yakuzagang5

Reaction score
This def works. I'm running 1.3ghz right now at 64 vsel for the max speed. It seems to be pretty stable. I have had a few reboots tho... Android forums has a pretty big thread on this right now and you should check it out if your curious. I'm personally loving it. Though a heade of warning, if you have a launch day DX you may have trouble getting above 1.1ghz outta it. I had a launchday but just replaced it because it was having headphopne issues. My new DX is running the 1.3ghz.

not trying to rain on the parade, but this shows its not stable lol try 1.2 maybe

akappy332

Reaction score
Yea... ok ok, but im not complaining. It has only rebooted if i've started running alot programs w/ the intention of overwhelming the phone. Stress tests have been fine through setcpu. But I would def start at 1.1 and work my way up. Every one is different after all.

OP
Abe21599

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
What's wrong with the initial batch of DX's?

Sent from my DROIDX

akappy332

Reaction score

Sent from my DROIDX

Couldn't tell you, possibly different versions of the same hardware? I'm not saying your launchday DX wont overclock as high, but that seems to be the situation from reading through the forum on android forums. All i can say is try it and see what happens. If you're already rooted the whole process is pretty easy. Just DO NOT run the optional code until you know your speeds are stable. I was running well at 1.3 and ran the optional code so that it would be permanent, but then I changed the setscaling to 1.4 ghz and I ended up having to sbf. As long as you dont run the optional code your phone will boot up w/ the stock speeds. This way even if your phone can't handle the speeds you put in your setscaling file, a simple reboot will fix your problems and then you can just try another setting.

mirage

Reaction score
Milestone Overclock 1.4.3.1

Version 1.4.3.1 is now in the market. It is based on the fix by nadlabak/kabaldan but done "correctly" now that we have the kernel source.

Note also that this fix should correct the vsel problem that many had in android 2.1. The previous module/app simply wasn't setting vsel at all, as many of you suspected. Let's hope this version takes care of it, for anyone that didn't upgrade to 2.2.

If you're interested, you can check out the issue which led to this release in the project site:
Issue 36 - milestone-overclock - Modify Source to Support Droid X. - Project Hosting on Google Code
(many thanks to tekahuna)

Last edited:

umx

Reaction score
how do u edit, to change the v and mhz, currently i had it set to 1300 at 80v, and it auto changed to 1225 at 65v

zodder

Reaction score
I purchased a DX day one and could never get it past 1.1ghz. Last week it crapped the bed and I received a replacement/refurb for it. The new phone now runs 1.35ghz LV 24/7 as stable as can be. Maybe the first batch of cpus were right up against 1.0ghz at manufacture?

cpjr

Reaction score
I have a release X, ordered online day it was available and received 3 days later.

I can run medium or even low voltage @ 1.45ghz all day long stable :)