Droid X Overclockability

xlivewire7x

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just finished updating my X with the newest Rubix rom, custom boot animations, fonts, etc. and as I went to start overclocking it (using jrummy's app) I found that my X refuses to run at anything above 1.15GHz. Even when setting the voltage to High and selecting 1.2GHz, the phone begins to lag like crazy. Overclocking isn't that big of a deal to me right now, but as the months start to roll by and better phones begin coming out, I want to make sure my X can still compete.
I understand that processors will vary in overclockability (I built 2 computers and have overclocked everything on them), it just seems ridiculous that some people can run 1.45GHz+ on medium voltage and I can't even run 1.2Ghz on high voltage. My question: is there something that I could have done wrong software wise that would limit any overclocking potential?

cpjr

Reaction score
ROM and setup can have an impact, but the biggest difference will vary from phone to phone.

I run Rubix 1.6 and can get 1.45ghz to run pretty stable at medium and even low voltage.

Honestly though, the difference between 1.15 and say 1.45 isnt going to be enough to really need to worry about, after all its a cell phone. How you set everything else up can make just as big of a difference as overclocking a little more.

PS- But you can always start completely fresh with a full wipe and try a couple different ROMs and tweak the overclocking scripts and see what works best with your phone. Its all trial and error.

Last edited:
OP
X

xlivewire7x

Reaction score
Yea I think I'll do that at some point but like I said it isn't too big of a deal for me right now. I guess for now I'll work on undervolting to try and save battery life. Maybe I can undervolt it enough to run 3G and GPS constantly :D

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
ive seen some release day droid Xs are having trouble OCing past 1.2. which fits because thats when i got mine and i cant get over 1.1 without it lagging like crazy.

idk why its like this but others fit into this category also..

jfrost1920

Reaction score
I thought I was the only one. Got my X on release day and it will not go above 1.1 using the app. 1.15 works temporarily, but reboots within and hour or so. Battery temp stays normal, but the phone will not work on anything above 1.1. I am running ULV at 1.1 and it has been really smooth and problem free for about 12 hours now. My quadrant score right now is +/- 1500. I guess thats okay. I thought maybe it was the app or something because it is constantly force closing and starting over. But maybe its just the phone.

cpjr

Reaction score
I feel lucky cause I ordered mine on release and received it 3 days later (so was in the first batch) and it flies @ 1.45ghz without issues.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
yea i tried so many different voltages/speeds only to realize my DX doesnt wanna be OCed lol

cpjr

Reaction score
I think god is reimbursing me for my Droid 1, which I could not for the life of me get OC'ed past 900-1.0ghz where as other people could get 1.3ghz all day long :)