Droid X successfully overclocked

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackrain311

Reaction score
elkay could you post your overclock.ko file for us to use. i tried using one for milestone and obviously didn't work.

blackrain311

Reaction score
I can not figure out how to modify the milestone overclock.ko to run on droid x.

Hilbe

Reaction score
I can not figure out how to modify the milestone overclock.ko to run on droid x.

I believe it has to be compiled for our kernel version. I have been trying to figure out how to setup the environment for compiling it from source. I downloaded the Droid X kernel source, but haven't been able to get the overclock module to compile for me.

blackrain311

Reaction score
The problem is they put the 3630 in and overclocked it from 720Mhz to 1GHz when they should have just put in the better 3640 which runs at 1GHz to begin with. I mean how much more could it have cost them. Even better they should have went for the OMAP 4440 1GHz dual core.

OP
E

Elkay

Reaction score
Sorry, apparently I wasn't getting emails of updates to any threads on this board. I'll post it tonight or more likely tomorrow.

irishpride

Reaction score
The problem is they put the 3630 in and overclocked it from 720Mhz to 1GHz when they should have just put in the better 3640 which runs at 1GHz to begin with. I mean how much more could it have cost them. Even better they should have went for the OMAP 4440 1GHz dual core.

Everything I've heard points to us running the 3630-1000, which is a modified version of the standard 3630. What I mean by that is, it's not just overclocked from 720MHz, it runs at 1GHz stock.

serveitup911

Reaction score

Everything I've heard points to us running the 3630-1000, which is a modified version of the standard 3630. What I mean by that is, it's not just overclocked from 720MHz, it runs at 1GHz stock.

Well, it's probably just sorted by TI. The 3630s that are stable at 1 GHz go into the 3630-1000 bin.

irishpride

Reaction score
Sorry, apparently I wasn't getting emails of updates to any threads on this board. I'll post it tonight or more likely tomorrow.

Are you still planning on releasing this today? I'm looking forward to giving it a shot.

OP
E

Elkay

Reaction score
It's still Saturday somewhere right? :happy:

YOU DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK. If you are not familiar with rooting, being rooted, the android/linux command line and file system/permissions, DO NOT EVEN THINK OF DOING THIS. Even if you are familiar with all of this, I highly recommend NOT adding this to any automatic startup scripts for the time being so you don't brick yourself out of your own phone. If it's not automated, you're at worst a battery-pull from a usable phone (unless you start messing with unrecommended voltages). I've not yet had to resort to the battery-puu myself, but I haven't tried ridiculous overclocks, either. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

You must be rooted. I also recommend having Root Explorer to move files around and set file permissions. It's not absolutely necessary, but I'm not going to get into the command line method in this discussion. If someone else feels free to add, by all means, but it didn't come from me. You also need a terminal emulator. Terminal Emulator will work, but I recommend Better Terminal Emulator if you have Smart Keyboard Pro (which I also recommend in general). This will allow you to use arrow keys to recall commands, which I found in getting this working and testing to be invaluable. Maybe not so necessary for you guys, but it was indispensable for me.

Attached is an archive containing 2 files. One is the modified kernel module for our phones, the other is a shell script to simplify testing and finding your optimal overclock. The file overclock.ko goes into your /system/lib/modules folder. Make sure you have write permissions on the folder using Root Explorer (set to R/W on the folder using the button at the top right as of the current version with this post.) Permissions should match the other kernel modules in this folder, which is User R/W and Group/Others R (644). You can get it there by copying the file to your SD Card then using Root Explorer to move it from your SD Card to /system/lib/modules and set the appropriate permissions. The file overclock.sh goes into /system/bin, and should have permissions set to User R/W/E, Group/Others R/W (755).

Next, make sure you're in a terminal as the root user by issuing 'su' (superuser) if you have not already. At this point, you should be able to issue the command 'overclock.sh' from a terminal no matter what directory you are in. This command takes 2 parameters. The first is your clock speed, in Hz. 1200000 would be a 1200Mhz (1.2Ghz) overclock. 1100000 would be a good starting point. The second parameter is the voltage. It's very important that you not go crazy with this parameter because you very well could fry your processor. The default at 1Ghz is 66. I highly recommend not going over 96 for this, which is 1.8V. I haven't used more than 80 (1.6V) for this myself just to be safe, and because I started having some random freezes at that amount at 1200Mhz and I haven't tried higher clocks yet. Keep in mind that higher voltage equals more heat and more power consumption, so the trick is to get the best overclock that you're happy with, while at the lowest voltage that will keep it stable. There's little point in having a 3Ghz phone if it lasts 3 minutes unplugged (don't even think of trying it!).

You can remove the module at any time by typing 'busybox rmmod overclock' in a terminal. This will allow you to issue the overclock command over again with new parameters without a reboot. This is helpful in babystepping your way up to your max stable overclock. I found Quadrant to be a good test for benchmarking and stability testing.

I recommend using SetCPU to verify the overclock and to set an appropriate governor for what you are using your phone for at the time (Performance to lock max clocks for benching). Enjoy, and I'm looking forward to some feedback and benchmarks.

Last edited:

irishpride

Reaction score
I first want to say thanks for all the work you put into this. Have you noticed much of a difference running at 1.2GHz?

I'm really excited to try this out and yes it is still Sat here in Seattle!

hijackerjack

Reaction score
I get this every time i run "overclock.sh"

Code:
insmod: init_module '/system/lib/modules/overclock.ko' failed (Invalid argument)

Any ideas?

Hilbe

Reaction score
I get this every time i run "overclock.sh"

Code:
insmod: init_module '/system/lib/modules/overclock.ko' failed (Invalid argument)

Any ideas?

You passing in parameters? Mine works when I do "overclock.sh 1200000 80" for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.