Droid X Speaker Volume

gnad

Reaction score
Same sinking boat here as well.

It can't be a hardware issue. the stupid "email received" alert is so loud, that it is driving me nuts.

I have an original Droid and upgraded to the Droid X this morning and I have noticed my droid speaker is louder than my Droid X anyone else in the same boat?

pope66682

Reaction score
Droid speaker was waaayyy louder. Although, when you have the headphones in, Droid X gives a much better/cleaner sound.

rboutin2

Reaction score
i doubt its a hardware issue. the x prolly has the same speaker as the original droid. I am thinking, why doesnt someone make an app that lets you adjust the preamp levels? Kinda like in itunes when you make a custom equalizer.

cardinalmedtype

Reaction score
I think some people need hearing aids. Yeah the volume is lower but not THAT low. BTW, as a temp fix for those who need the louder ringtones, you can download ones that are louder or use a simple audio editor to modify them.

Since this seems to be common complaint they may issue a software fix to increase the volume limit. Hopefully the speaker can handle it.

I have not found a louder ringtone than what I had on BB. I have downloaded multiple apps with no luck. I am a female so I do keep the phone in my pocketbook and cannot hear it at all when in the mall or any store for that matter.

If you know how to to use a simple audio editor to modify the sound, if you wouldn't mind would you explain how, because I do not know how to. Thanks.

Laramie

Reaction score
I think some people need hearing aids. Yeah the volume is lower but not THAT low. BTW, as a temp fix for those who need the louder ringtones, you can download ones that are louder or use a simple audio editor to modify them.

Since this seems to be common complaint they may issue a software fix to increase the volume limit. Hopefully the speaker can handle it.

I have not found a louder ringtone than what I had on BB. I have downloaded multiple apps with no luck. I am a female so I do keep the phone in my pocketbook and cannot hear it at all when in the mall or any store for that matter.

If you know how to to use a simple audio editor to modify the sound, if you wouldn't mind would you explain how, because I do not know how to. Thanks.

Download and install (free) Audacity. Then we can go from there and get some mp3 ringtones with louder volume.

Immolate

Reaction score
Mine was low at first, but now when I check it it seems "normal" for most phones. Normal is not nearly as loud as the Droid 1 of course. That phone is crazy loud and could probably be used as a substitute for air horns at football games.

Capt.D

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Too bad you can't seem edit like on other Motos...It'd be any easy fix...

smokecombs

Reaction score
Being a mobile phone it isn't a big issue for me. It's as loud or louder than my Sony Walkman phone was, and the Sony is supposed to have good quality/loud sound from all reviews I've heard. But, like I said, since it's a mobile phone I use it mainly when I'm out for calls, at work, etc.. In those environments I can't really have the volume over halfway to begin with, at least at my work it's a big no-no. But the ability to go bigger, faster, and louder is always a good option to have. It is serviceable for me but I can understand the complaints.

jetdoc

Reaction score
My external speaker is indeed too low and I hope they get a software update out soon.

That said, I had my headphones plugged in, listening to some music and I made a call with the headphones in. Wow was it loud, so loud I had to turn it down and the call quality and clarity was unreal, when compared to just using the earpiece next to your ear.

Droidxer10

Reaction score
Complaints about the Droid X bad volume low speaker problem from around the internet

Here are links to some of the many complaints about the Droid X low volume speaker problem:

From the Mototola Owner's Forum:
https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/32604?start=30&tstart=0

From the Google Code Android Website:
http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/detail?id=9849

From Droidforums:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-tech-issues/66107-low-ring-volume.html

From Verizon wireless community forum:
http://community.vzw.com/t5/DROID-X-by-Motorola/alarm-volume-so-low/td-p/242755

From Droidxforums:
http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-general-discussion/2390-droid-x-volume-bug-verizon-motorola-should-aknowledge-resolve-issue.html

From Mydroidworld forum:
http://www.mydroidworld.com/forums/droid-x-discussion/3777-droid-x-sound-volume-issues.html

And, of course, some longer threads (which people with the volume problem should add a reply to):
from Verizon wireless community forum:
http://community.vzw.com/t5/DROID-X-by-Motorola/Volume-issue-on-new-Droid-X/td-p/227520

and from droidforums:
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-x-general-discussions/59913-droid-x-speaker-volume.html

There are many, many more. If you too experience the Droid X low volume speaker problem, please report it both to Verizon and Motorola tech support, and also as a reply to any of the above forum threads, especially the last two.

_scooby_

Reaction score
.......so yeah I returned my DX and went back with my D1. I couldn't deal with the fact that the battery wouldn't last a day, hell it would die after only 4 hours. And all I did with it was make a few phone calls and check up on facebook). I also was disappointed with the volume. I missed a lot of calls and did not enjoy the music experience. I agree That the D1 volume is freakishly loud. But its what I got used to. I have another Verizon flip phone an LG and the volume on that is louder than the DX. So yeah I brought it back. I will be waiting for the D2. Its going to have the same processor as the DX with the screen size of the D1. I do miss the screen size from the DX, but honestly videos look better on the D1 than on the DX.

ggaabe

Reaction score
.......so yeah I returned my DX and went back with my D1. I couldn't deal with the fact that the battery wouldn't last a day, hell it would die after only 4 hours. And all I did with it was make a few phone calls and check up on facebook). I also was disappointed with the volume. I missed a lot of calls and did not enjoy the music experience. I agree That the D1 volume is freakishly loud. But its what I got used to. I have another Verizon flip phone an LG and the volume on that is louder than the DX. So yeah I brought it back. I will be waiting for the D2. Its going to have the same processor as the DX with the screen size of the D1. I do miss the screen size from the DX, but honestly videos look better on the D1 than on the DX.

Shouldn't of brought it back. They found out recently that the facebook app version 1.3 kills like 60% of the battery in only a few hours because of a glitch and they're fixing it soon.

As for me, I literally never have my phone on anything but vibrate, so this shouldn't even be a problem. As for calls I should be able to hear people fine if it's close to my ear

_scooby_

Reaction score
I didn't use the fb app. I used what's on the DX. It puts all you stuff in one place, email, text, fb, etc. The android fb app is garbage.

Phillipsave

Reaction score
The Droid X speaker volume is too low for me, much lower than Droid 1, when listening to a podcast or Pandora in my car or in the house with appliances running. Otherwise, the headset and phone volume, which are adjusted separately, work fine. I was showing my X to a friend who decided not to purchase it because of this problem.