Droid X Speaker Volume

FireDroid

Reaction score
I did the update and the sound got worse. And for all of you, "it isn't that bad" people, that's because you got a phone that works. I would be happy to switch phones with you. We aren't imagining this, dweebs. We've used phones before.

If you think you got a defective phone then take it back and stop your whining on here!!

It's not that bad you clown!! My god the world is ending because the ringer isnt 200 db so I can hear over my car stereo!!!

You do know there are people that would die just to have a cell phone??? Look at things in a bigger picture, the low ringer volume really is not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things!!!

cp1224

Reaction score
Ok, FireDroid...send me your X and I'll send you mine. I don't want to hear it over the car stereo. I want to hear it over the refrigerator.

FireDroid

Reaction score
I can hear mine fine over the TV,fridge,washer,dryer, ect. No it is not louder than the D1 but the D1 was a crazy loud speaker VS most phones out there. If you feel it is defective TAKE IT BACK and get a new one.

If my $200 dollar investment was defective believe you me I would take it back. I would bet that there wouldnt be much complaining if the D1 wasnt so loud.

I would like it louder also but I am sure it will be addressed and no reason to call a group of people dweebs!!

lanolar

Reaction score
Go away with that BS name calling. Yes it IS that bad for the people posting here. I have a Droid and a Droid X. There is ZERO comparison between the two for for volume. Stop acting like such a fanboy for the Droid. I still like my X but guess what, its OK to admit the speaker is a REAL PROBLEM! Just because its not for YOU, does NOT mean its not a problem. Funny how when people call support they already know about the PROBLEM.
I did the update and the sound got worse. And for all of you, "it isn't that bad" people, that's because you got a phone that works. I would be happy to switch phones with you. We aren't imagining this, dweebs. We've used phones before.

If you think you got a defective phone then take it back and stop your whining on here!!

It's not that bad you clown!! My god the world is ending because the ringer isnt 200 db so I can hear over my car stereo!!!

You do know there are people that would die just to have a cell phone??? Look at things in a bigger picture, the low ringer volume really is not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things!!!

yellar

Reaction score
Just called Verizon tech support and the guy I talked to said the volume level is a "known issue" and motorola is working on a fix for it and when its done they will send it out in an update.

DruidX

Reaction score
Is that really something they can correct with an update, as opposed to a hardware fix?

yellar

Reaction score
Is that really something they can correct with an update, as opposed to a hardware fix?

Well I was thinking the same thing and the Verizon guy said it was something motorola knows about and is gonna do a software fix on so I don't know. All I can say is if they do come out with a fix and it doesn't work I will be asking for a new one.

eahrman

Reaction score
Volume issue on brand new droid X

I also have this issue. I have all volume set to maximum, alarm set to maximum. The alarm does NOT wake me up.

I have missed calls and text messages if my phone is not right in the room with me I cannot hear it.

I called today to Technical Support at Verizon Wireless and they told me THERE WAS NO KNOWN ISSUE........

I don't think the Techical Service Rep knew what he was talking about......on verizon wireless.com there are pages and pages of people with the same problem.

If you have posted here and not there, please also post there. Verizon checks those posts. I am hoping something will be done soon !

joker23

Reaction score
The alarm clock has a ringer option that allows increasing volume of the alarm sound from low to high over a few seconds. Whatever software function controls that hardware feature (OpAmp, voltage regulator, whatever) would probably allow Moto to increase the volume of other sounds in an update.

Laramie

Reaction score

Most likely yes. You can create an mp3 ringtone with Audacity, and then create the same, but increase the db's on the ringtone itself. If one is louder, then you know that it's not a hardware problem, but the output on the phone isn't coded right to get to proper volume.

If the DX speaker is smaller than the D1, there might be a little distortion, but a louder phone would be better for most/all.

Droidxer10

Reaction score
Listen UP: Clarifications!

Please listen up regarding this issue:

1) This is a batch by batch, and/or a unit by unit, issue/problem. Some Droid X batches/units have the problem and some do not.

2) Verizon tech support does not care about forum postings by consumers, including those posted on their own forums.

3) The only way to get this problem solved is by calling Verizon and/or Motorola tech support and documenting this problem with them.

4) Roughly, Verizon does not do anything but maintain their network and sell phones. If there is going to be a fix, it will come from Motorola at the request of Verizon (if Verizon receives and documents a sufficient number of customers reporting the problem/issue).

5) Whether this is hardware or a firmware problem, and whether it only affects certain Droid X batches/units, a firmware update that increases the volume potential on all Droid X units will either solve or help the problem.

6) Verizon will go ahead with (5) above if enough people convince their tech support people that there is a serious issue/problem with the volume of the speakerphones on many Droid X batches/units, which appears to be the case from all the postings on all the forums.

So please call Verizon if you experience this problem with your Droid X. Follow their instructions. If the problem persists, clearly and repeatedly tell them so: tell them so clearly and repeatedly, but politely and civilly.

Hope everyone is otherwise enjoying their Droid Xs.

Rebycman

Reaction score
So I called them tonight regarding another issue about joining 2 of my accounts into one account and once that was fixed I brought up the volume issue. The tech support dept said they had not heard of this issue with the phone and proceeded to ask me simple questions like:

1) Did I drop or damage my phone. (no)
2) Did I install any apps like media mixers, video players, or mp3 players. (no)
3) Did I root the phone or alter any factory settings. (no)

From there they wanted me to do a factory reset to try to clear the issue and if it persisted to take the phone back to a corporate store and have them look at it. I had him make a note of the issue though so we'll see if Moto gets the hint and we get a software update.

jetdoc

Reaction score
Just got off the phone with customer support/tech support. 'Well I've not heard of any speaker complaints with the X'...blah, blah, blah.

They logged my complaint.

I wonder, as a previous poster commented, is this speaker issue going to be soloved with a software update....it very well could be a hardware issue and it is what it is. The X is very thin down where the speaker is installed.

djmirage

Reaction score
Please keep us informed of any updates or fixes.
I did call verizon last week about some other things
and mentioned the low volume and they said I should
take it back to the store and listen to the difference
on another one and see if it's my phone or if they are all like that.

Heck if they are all like that, thats even MORE of a reason to fix it.
Ughh, I am a DJ and so I am around music everyday
and I need something that I can hear well.
To make calls, I have to turn on the SPEAKER
and hold the speaker up to my ear. Whats up with that?

I'll try calling them again and seeing if we can get them
to roll out an update. Hopefully it would be something
that they can just fix with the software. Crossing fingers.