Droid X Disable Data Connection

bwana

Reaction score
So i'm on the pay-as-you-go plan with a dX and want to be able to toggle the data connection. I've tried the APNdroid, Data Toggle Widget, and Data On Demand apps, but they haven't done what i want, kill the data connection completely.

I keep choosing the disable data and disable on boot from the *#*#4636#*#* menu, restarted etc.. but it keeps enabling itself, kinda frustrating..

So i just d/l Juice Defender and System Tools to monitor the connections, but seem to be unable to kill the data connection using J/D.

Is anyone else in the same boat, can someone please chime in with their suggestion(s)?

I, and am sure others, would be much obliged..

Long live the Droid!

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
So i'm on the pay-as-you-go plan with a dX

How? X requires the Data plan.

And without a data plan the X is useless IMHO. As any Droid would be.

OP
B

bwana

Reaction score
Well, i guess technically, the pay-as-you-go is a data plan, b/c i understand you need one to have the droid.

I'm in front of my PC all day and am in Wi-fi coverage pretty consistently (downtown, home, cafe, etc) so the issue isn't if the droid is useful or not with or without data.

The topic of this thread stands: how do i disable data on demand?

kpiskin

Reaction score
I just put it in "airplane mode", it's basically a simple on/off button and kills wifi, BT and 3G etc all at once. I work in areas where wireless signals of any type are not allowed and this works for me. There is a Blur airplane widget that comes with the X you can use or if you're using beautiful widgets, they have one too. That keeps you from having to go into your settings to make the change each time.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, i guess technically, the pay-as-you-go is a data plan, b/c i understand you need one to have the droid.

I'm in front of my PC all day and am in Wi-fi coverage pretty consistently (downtown, home, cafe, etc) so the issue isn't if the droid is useful or not with or without data.

The topic of this thread stands: how do i disable data on demand?

I don't know about the X but on the Droid we have Airplane mode which disables data but allows wifi. Unfortunately that also disable the calling network too.

BackinBlack wasn't going off topic by asking you what you meant by pay as you go data plan. There isn't any such thing, he's simply trying to grasp what you were getting at. I understand you use wifi a lot, so do I but it doesn't benefit me to disable data. If you are using wifi it will override the data.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

If your X is with VZW you have an unlimited data plan.....

OP
B

bwana

Reaction score

If your X is with VZW you have an unlimited data plan.....

So, back to square one. I am with Verizon, I DON'T have unlimited plan, I DO want to be able to use my phone WITHOUT having the data on :/

I was thinking to myself why have they removed the menu where you can change the APN on the dX?

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I am with Verizon, I DON'T have unlimited plan,

You might want to check that.
The ESN will force the data plan when you activate the device.

OP
B

bwana

Reaction score
I am with Verizon, I DON'T have unlimited plan,

You might want to check that.
The ESN will force the data plan when you activate the device.

I have. Multiple times. I had the Imagio before and it was the same.

Now if we could kindly move past the unlimited data issue and stay on the disabling data issue, we might actually make this thread useful! :)

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Only thing I can guess is the X sees that it needs data and turns it on for a connection.

And I am sure there are users that want to know how you pulled this off....the no required data.

OP
B

bwana

Reaction score
Only thing I can guess is the X sees that it needs data and turns it on for a connection.

And I am sure there are users that want to know how you pulled this off....the no required data.

Of course i'd tell them if i did anything special, but truth is i asked them for the pay as you go plan when i had my HTC Imagio and when i upgraded, the plan just followed.

It's probably not publicized, like the free item everyday at Chik-fil-a, understandably so.

I would like to avoid rooting my phone b/c i'm not even sure that will lead me anywhere. All i want is to control how my data is used.

At any rate, thanks to everyone who has responded so quickly, good to know this forum is alive and active.

garath

Reaction score

Of course i'd tell them if i did anything special, but truth is i asked them for the pay as you go plan when i had my HTC Imagio and when i upgraded, the plan just followed.

It's probably not publicized, like the free item everyday at Chik-fil-a, understandably so.

I would like to avoid rooting my phone b/c i'm not even sure that will lead me anywhere. All i want is to control how my data is used.

At any rate, thanks to everyone who has responded so quickly, good to know this forum is alive and active.

The reason people are curious is Verizon killed off the pay as you go data plan for smartphones in 2008. You were grandfathered in with whatever current phone you had at the time but any phone upgrade forced you to the $29.99 plan (unlimited). The only pay as you go plan left is for simple feature phones. The only way you could possibly still be on pay as you go is through an error but the system won't even let you activate the phone without a data plan so I don't see how that happened.

Verizon Wireless kills Pay as You Go data plans, data plans now mandatory Boy Genius Report

Verizon | Answers to FAQs - Verizon Wireless Support

It's unlikely you'll find an app that does what you want simply because it's not something anyone on an unlimited plan needs. Which is everyone.

OP
B

bwana

Reaction score

The reason people are curious is Verizon killed off the pay as you go data plan for smartphones in 2008. You were grandfathered in with whatever current phone you had at the time but any phone upgrade forced you to the $29.99 plan (unlimited). The only pay as you go plan left is for simple feature phones. The only way you could possibly still be on pay as you go is through an error but the system won't even let you activate the phone without a data plan so I don't see how that happened.

Verizon Wireless kills Pay as You Go data plans, data plans now mandatory Boy Genius Report

Verizon | Answers to FAQs - Verizon Wireless Support

It's unlikely you'll find an app that does what you want simply because it's not something anyone on an unlimited plan needs. Which is everyone.

I see, well there's still gotta be a way, right? I mean someone who is out in the field somewhere, with so-so coverage, but needs the battery life would find this useful for example. Or someone who doesn't want certain apps to transmit location, or someone who want's to cap their data, etc..

Either-way, i wouldn't have thought it would be a mountainous effort..

Thanks for your input good sir!

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Either-way, i wouldn't have thought it would be a mountainous effort..

It is since the Droids are very data intensive....I use about 4 to 6 gb per month and I do not consider myself a heavy user. I would find my X to be useless without the unlimited data as everything uses it.

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3
SwitchPro works for me. Used it to disable data to make sure it used wi-fi to download the 2.6GB map file for Ndrive.