Droid X Disable Data Connection

OP
B

bwana

Reaction score
SwitchPro works for me. Used it to disable data to make sure it used wi-fi to download the 2.6GB map file for Ndrive.

Thanks! i'll give it a shot, when i use my Wifi from home to d/l it that is..

OP
B

bwana

Reaction score
For all those interested, Juice Defender can cut off data completely, just took some finagling of the settings to get it right.

rydizzle

Reaction score
For all those interested, Juice Defender can cut off data completely, just took some finagling of the settings to get it right.

Why would you need to cut data off completely when on an unlimited plan? What would be the point?

Haha sorry, I just couldn't help myself.

OP
B

bwana

Reaction score
haha.. i was about to go all youtube on you lol..

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb

Why would you need to cut data off completely when on an unlimited plan? What would be the point?

If you would have read the thread you would know.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

rydizzle

Reaction score

If you would have read the thread you would know.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

I did read the thread. It was a joke. Obviously you didn't read my post in relation to the entire thread. :biggrin:

Kraghack

Reaction score
I'm surprised no one pointed this out earlier but even on an unlimited data plan, I may still want to disable data in certain situations when trying to extend battery life. Airplane mode wouldn't be an option as I would still want my dx to work as a phone.

Did SwitchPro ever work? I'll have to try it tonight...

MidwestMike

Reaction score
I would like to turn off data all together when travelling in to Canada or Mexico. I would even turn it off when being close to the border...

I've heard the horror stories of travelling outside of the US and getting hit with the data charges from everything updating in the background. (The weather, news, Facebook, google pulling in maps, etc).

Mew2

Reaction score
I can't use my data in during training but can on breaks ;] Airplane mood seems fitting for me

paulm

Reaction score
how to turn off mobile data

I bought a droid x for my wife and activated it on pageplus because of the much cheaper service than verizon, but since you pay by the megabyte for data it can get expensive if you are using the data while off of a wifi connection. I have used the phone a little and have put an icon on the main screen to go into the settings so she can turn the wifi on easily when she is home, but she is not diligent about doing so. Is there a way to have the phone automatically connect to the wifi networks and disconnect from the mobile broadband data automatically? Also what programs may be running by default that would use mobile data without the user initiating the data use? She also told me she wants to be able to have the weather update on the phone automatically. Is it possible to schedule this to happen only while on the wifi or only at night when the phone would likely be at home on the wifi network anyway? For those of you who are on verizon and are not heavy data users pageplus could be a good option for you. They have a couple plans that make good sense that include some data. They have a plan that includes 1200 minutes of talking and 1200 text messages and 50 megabytes of data usage for 29.95 per month and an plan that includes unlimited talking, unlimited texting, and 20 megabytes of data for $44.95 per month. Additional data costs $.60 per megabyte on either plan. For me this makes great sense since I use very little data on my phone, but less so for my wife if I can't sort something else out that will minimize the usage of data on the mobile network.

Any advice you could offer would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time,

Paul
IN GOD WE TRUST

paulm

Reaction score
I see that the link worked correctly in spite of how it appeared. I also thought to mention that it is a prepaid service. I found how it worked a little confusing at first as the website is not totally explicit on the matter, but basically you have to buy the service plan that you want and if you exceed any of the usage that is provided in the plan that feature stops working unless you have added additional money to your account that will automatically be used up with the additional usage, but the rest of the plan features will continue to work normally. That is to say, if you get the 1200 minute plan and you talk 1200 minutes and don't have an additional balance available on your account, you will still be able to send text messages unless you have also sent 1200 text messages, and you will still be able to use data until you have reached your 50 megabyte threshold. The same is true of the unlimited talk and text plan, once you use up your 20 megs of data you will still be able to talk and text all you want until the end of your month.

kratt

Reaction score
FYI...
I have an htc eris/2.1, original motorola droid/2.2, and motorola droid 2/2.2. The htc eris with 1.6 and 2.1 had/has a disable data connection just for the 3g/1x. The motorola droid original did not have one for 2.0 and 2.1, but enable/disable data connection appeared when I installed 2.2 from verizon. I bought a droid 2 which runs 2.2 and it does not have the enable/disable data.