Turning off data permanently

mrkresc

Reaction score
My brother won a droid a few months ago and it has been sitting in his closet since because he doesn't want to pay the $30 for the unlimited data plan. Now I know (because I have a droid myself) that a data plan is a necessity for the phone, and have tried to convince him on numerous occasions to get a data plan, but he is not giving in. I also have a friend that does not have a data plan, and has a 1st generation iPhone. He told me that he was able to mess around with an APN files on the iPhone to make it so there is no data coming in or out of his phone.

I have tried two different ways to turn off the data. The first one was downloading APNdroid, but that method is not working. I am still able to access webpages and background data is still coming through to my phone.

The second method that I tried was to dial *#*#4636#*#* and then disabling dataconnection from there, but the phone just reverts back to original settings after a restart.

Does anyone have any suggestions, besides him getting rid of it or does anyone know of a hack?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Verizon won't allow the phone to be activated without a data plan.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
He might as well sell it.....

dakster

Reaction score
I thought I remembered seeing a thread a while back that said there was a way to bypass the activation screen? He could just use wifi, like an ipod.

At least he could make basic calls using sipdroid or fring when on wifi.

Probably should just sell it.

mountaineerndixie

Reaction score
My brother won a droid a few months ago and it has been sitting in his closet since because he doesn't want to pay the $30 for the unlimited data plan. Now I know (because I have a droid myself) that a data plan is a necessity for the phone, and have tried to convince him on numerous occasions to get a data plan, but he is not giving in. I also have a friend that does not have a data plan, and has a 1st generation iPhone. He told me that he was able to mess around with an APN files on the iPhone to make it so there is no data coming in or out of his phone.

I have tried two different ways to turn off the data. The first one was downloading APNdroid, but that method is not working. I am still able to access webpages and background data is still coming through to my phone.

The second method that I tried was to dial *#*#4636#*#* and then disabling dataconnection from there, but the phone just reverts back to original settings after a restart.

Does anyone have any suggestions, besides him getting rid of it or does anyone know of a hack?

I'll buy it, if it's in new condition......