Droid X Disable Data Connection

lanreudu

Reaction score
Still pulling data in canada even when data roaming is off

I would like to turn off data all together when travelling in to Canada or Mexico. I would even turn it off when being close to the border...

I've heard the horror stories of travelling outside of the US and getting hit with the data charges from everything updating in the background. (The weather, news, Facebook, google pulling in maps, etc).

I just got the droid X with the nationwide plus canada plan because I travel to canada frequently (i live in a border state). What you mentioned is a legitimate concern for me. Even though I turn off data roaming, the device still pulls data while i'm in canada and I was told I will accrue data roaming charges. I called verizon tech support and after 20 mins of giving me the run-around, he finally admitted that there is no way to actually completely shut off data temporarily in the settings menu. Coming from an iphone, where this is so easy to do, I think it's absurd that this feature has been removed (probably by verizon). I am new to verizon. This is my first android phone and the only one I've ever wanted and this is very disappointing. I'm unfortunately packing up my phone, giving up on verizon, and returning it, because I cannot be bothered with tinkering with it for such a basic feature or accruing charges while waiting for an update to fix this. If anyone has a straight-forward and easy fix for this, please do let me know so I may reconsider my decision.

TRDirks

Reaction score
I just got the droid X with the nationwide plus canada plan because I travel to canada frequently (i live in a border state). What you mentioned is a legitimate concern for me. Even though I turn off data roaming, the device still pulls data while i'm in canada and I was told I will accrue data roaming charges. I called verizon tech support and after 20 mins of giving me the run-around, he finally admitted that there is no way to actually completely shut off data temporarily in the settings menu. Coming from an iphone, where this is so easy to do, I think it's absurd that this feature has been removed (probably by verizon). I am new to verizon. This is my first android phone and the only one I've ever wanted and this is very disappointing. I'm unfortunately packing up my phone, giving up on verizon, and returning it, because I cannot be bothered with tinkering with it for such a basic feature or accruing charges while waiting for an update to fix this. If anyone has a straight-forward and easy fix for this, please do let me know so I may reconsider my decision.

What version of android is your X running? I have the recent upgrade (2.2) and there are options to disable data roaming, enable/disable background data and Data enabled. I would assume if you removed the check from Data enabled it would turn it off completely. I did notice when you disable background data it does pop up a message that states "Some applications may still use background data connection".

dancedroid

kratt

Reaction score
ata it does pop up a message that states "Some applications may still use background data connection".

dancedroid[/quote]

Android 2.2 is available for the Droid X http://www.usanewsweek.com/news/Droid-X-Froyo-Update--Installation--Performance---Issues-1285360721/. Install 2.2, then uncheck data enabled . This disables the 3G/1X data connection when you are in Canada. When you return to the states re-enable. I use this option on the original Motorola Droid with 2.2. Android 2.0 and 2.1 did not have this option for the Moto Droid.

lanreudu

Reaction score

What version of android is your X running? I have the recent upgrade (2.2) and there are options to disable data roaming, enable/disable background data and Data enabled. I would assume if you removed the check from Data enabled it would turn it off completely. I did notice when you disable background data it does pop up a message that states "Some applications may still use background data connection".

dancedroid

Unfortunately, I was using version 2.1 before I gave up and sent it back to verizon. In 2.1 there were 2 and not 3 settings like you mention. In the settings there should be Data roaming, enable/disable background data, and Data enabled. My droid X was missing the "data enabled". I do believe 2.2 eventually fixed or included this, but I guess it was a day too late. I went with the iphone 4 and I couldn't be happier. Nothing against the droid x. It is a great device, but I think the iphone 4 is a much better device.

better camera and video,

more app selection (will get even better now that apple has relaxed some of their rules),

cleaner and better looking UI,

much more ready-to-go accessories available,

Retina display makes reading easier and delightful (didnt think there would be a huge difference, but after using both devices for a few weeks, I realized the retina display makes more sense than a 4.3 in screen). Although a 4.3in retina display will be the ultimate.

More responsive touchscreen and better keyboard. It is counterintuitive, but I type faster and more accurately on the iphone 4 keyboard than the droid X despite its 4.3in screen.

iOS is made for iphone hardware. compared to the distorted form of a main OS that is android. Android, while very good, is too busy, overly fragmented by phone manufacturers, and doesn't really have a clear goal. And yes, I understand its main goal may be openness. Let us see how long that will last with Android's new love affair with the telecom, Verizon. The absence of net neutrality on the wireless side will eventually seep into android, if we don't fight it.

Just my .02....In any case, besides the nexus one, the droid x puts out the best android experience to date.

lanreudu

Reaction score
ata it does pop up a message that states "Some applications may still use background data connection".

dancedroid

Android 2.2 is available for the Droid X Droid X 2.2 Froyo Update: Installation, Performance & Issues. Install 2.2, then uncheck data enabled . This disables the 3G/1X data connection when you are in Canada. When you return to the states re-enable. I use this option on the original Motorola Droid with 2.2. Android 2.0 and 2.1 did not have this option for the Moto Droid.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the reply. A little while ago, I found out the hard way (calling motorola and verizon) that 2.1 did not include that option. Like I mentioned in my last post, the update came right after I returned the device.

eromrab

Reaction score
I use Quick Settings. It's an open source app that you can put a thing in the notification drop down. Click it. Click Mobile data on/off. Quite simple really.

Another option to turn off data completely/hopefully permanently would be to dial *#*#4636#*#* go into Phone Information and go to the drop down and pick one of the options that would have the phone looking for data from GSM or click the "Turn off radio" button... not sure if the setting will stick on reboot though. Never had a need to try it.

Goodlefeed

Reaction score
The way I do it is with the SwitchPro widget, it has an option to toggle the 3g connection. I have unlimited but I use it to save battery power since it forces the phone to switch to 1X.

Hope this helps :)

km75

Reaction score
I was curious about that as well just not for the same reasons. I would love to be able to disable data and only data for those times I don't have a charger and my battery is almost dead. You know just in case I needed to make an emergency phone call

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

JohnBo

Reaction score
This is weird. I'm at work and was thinking about trying to turn off data on my wife's DX last night, so came to this forum to search and here is this thread bumped to the front page :ph34r: From almost 4 mo ago:
Android 2.2 is available for the Droid X Droid X 2.2 Froyo Update: Installation, Performance & Issues. Install 2.2, then uncheck data enabled . This disables the 3G/1X data connection when you are in Canada. When you return to the states re-enable. I use this option on the original Motorola Droid with 2.2. Android 2.0 and 2.1 did not have this option for the Moto Droid.
So ok, I think I saw that toggle in settings but wasn't sure, so will try it tonight. Will also check out Quick Settings and Switch Pro, good tips. I want data (3G and 1X) to be off until I turn it back on, not when some app/service needs it every 3 secs, so will have to play with it and make sure.

OK I realize they were long ago, but to the series of posts stating that data is free and the DX needs tons of data or it's useless:
  • Sometimes you just want it to be a simple phone, or you are just somewhere where the data connection is from very weak to cold dead. Sure you can still leave data on and it costs you $0/MB but it does use your battery. Or, the way I see it the DX has 4 types of comms: BTooth, cell tower data (3G/1X), cell tower SMS/phone, WiFi - why not turn off those you don't/can't use to save some power (when a wifi conn is on the 3G/1X is not used, but there are other cases).
  • In parts of Canada and Mexico 3g/1x data works, but is not covered by your unlimited data plan - ouch...
  • Verizon does offer a 150MB/mo data plan at half the price - the DX we got about 2 weeks ago is our 1st smart phone, my wife is using it and I'll probably upgrade to one some day and may get this plan.

JohnBo

Reaction score
I actually understand the comm waveforms pretty much, but could somebody please clarify the smart phone terminology for me? It seems that:

3G = CDMA2000 1xEV-DO (Evolution Data Optimized) Rev-A = EV-DO or just EV.
(I don't know why they stuck the 1x in the above, it's confusing, seems outright wrong, and pretty much always ignored. I'm pretty sure Rev-A is what is mostly in place now and used by verizon, etc.)
1X = CDMA2000 1X-RTT = 1 times Radio Transmission Technology
(Confusing that it's actually a standard in the CDMA2000 family, a "3G" family, but it's called 1X because it's the same speed as the base data connection from the 2G standard - and I don't know if Verizon uses a protocol from 2G or 3G or both to carry their 1X data.)
bars? = voice phone call / SMS text
(Or is there some other term used? I'd assume the old text/voice stuff just goes on the same 1X connection using a slow setting, but of course it's billed much differently.)

123itslikeabc

Reaction score
I hated the Droid X - until I "fixed" it all up lol.. here's how

So, here's the scoop. I switched from my old HTC Droid Incredible phone over to a Droid X, simply because I got bored of my Incredible lol (in retrospect I probably should have kept my Incredible.. it truly was incredible haha). Also, I am NOT on gingerbread.. I'm still on 2.2.1 (I mention this because I have read comments saying that "Widgetsoid" - see below - doesn't work well on gingerbread.

So, the issues I've had with the Droid X and how I "fixed" them:

1. Wi-Fi… the darn thing just didn't want to automatically connect to available wireless connections (even ones that were "remembered"). I would have to manually go into the "Wireless and Networks" menu under Settings, and either click on an available network or at this point it would automatically connect to a "remembered" connection that was in range.

Solution (I think this has been working since.. I will update this again in case it stops working): go to: Settings -> Wireless & Network Settings -> Mobile Networks -> System Select -> choose "Home only"

2. Toggle the 3G / Mobile Network - this was such a pain in the butt at first because I was used to (on my Incredible) having a toggle widget where I could simply turn it on and off. And while there are a bunch of apps available that claim to do this, I tried a few only to find out that they did not successfully turn on/off the 3G network. In fact, most apps just killed my 3G network completely… meaning, even if I went to: Settings -> Data manager -> Data Delivery -> and either checked/unchecked the "Data enabled" option, the 3G just would not stay turned on. (It would come on for about a second in the notification bar, and then go away.) And, the whole point of trying to find an app/widget to toggle the 3G network is so that I wouldn't have to go through all these steps every time I wanted to turn the network on/off. (btw, I'm on PagePlus, which is why I try to turn off the data connection whenever I can so that I don't waste my limited data.)

Solution: download the free app called "Widgetsoid2.x" and set up a widget "switcher" bar with the "Mobile Data" selected (you can obviously select any other widgets you may want to include in the bar. Then, after you click Apply, click "yes" to change some advanced settings.. you want to make sure that the Data toggle mode is set to "APN toggle". And that should do it. Now you have a widget that actually works to toggle your 3G network on/off

3. I didn't like the stock messaging and email programs. So I am using "Go SMS" (the free regular version, not the free Pro version), and "K-9 Mail" for email.

other than that, for apps, I would recommend everyone to try dolphin browser, sms backup +, and heytell.

ok, so, now I no longer "hate" my Droid X.. and I feel like I can live with the change lol… so let me know if this helps anyone else out. I'll try to respond to questions if you have any.

paYce!