Droid X compared to Fascinate

OB1J3D1

Reaction score
To each their own...

Not sure if it was me you were referring to as the fat commenter. if it was, I was referring to the width. It was "fat" trying to hold it while looking at the screen.

I agree on the google issue. I am admittedly a MS hater/ Mac user and the bing thing was almost a deal breaker for me (most of the reason i was leaning so heavily toward the x.) But, good news is in about a month all Fascinate users can go back to google once 2.2 hits.

Okay i gotta step in for the X. I do not disagree that the samsung is a 'sexier' phone, you really cant. but i will disagree with the poster who said the x was fat. far from it. even in my case the phone is extremely thin. as far as menus, the scrolling on my droid x is great. i have 2.2 and its plenty smooth. gaming on the x is sick. playing need for speed shift is insane. every single game (3d) i have played has been amazing. doesnt stutter at all. as far as processor, it is also a 1 ghz processor, just a different brand. did you know the droid x was rated to have the best battery life of ALL androids last month even though it has the biggest screen? the music quality is great. i use both large cup sony noise cancelling phones and my favorite in ear ifrogz earbuds (the ones with the rubber that molds inside your ear) and it sounds amazing. also, i don't know if you can with the samsung, but you can set mp3s and videos for your alarm player. yes, the samsung has a sharper screen, but honestly, the screen on my x is GORGEOUS. as far as pocketing, i wear regular blue jeans daily and never have a problem with it fitting IN my pocket. yes, if you wore it on your hip it would look big, its a big phone! but it fits just fine inside my pocket. and its plenty thin. REAL thin. except for the bump where the camera is, but this doesnt bother me at all. its a sexy phone. the camera is 8mps and does a great job, and it does pretty good 720p. i don't know if the samsung has HDMI out or not, but i like this about my droid x. as far as on screen keyboards, bigger screen equals better typing experience. and if you use swift key (which is now a full version, no longer beta and under a buck) you will be typing absurdly fast...not that you couldn't also do that on the fascinate. call quality is fantastic. it has 3 microphones for noise cancelling/blocking ambient sounds so you come through crystal clear and hear the others just fine. another BIG advantage is google voice actions. i know that the samsung uses bing so im not sure that you can use the google search bar with integrated voice actions. this is hands down one of the coolest features on the phone without a doubt. you just say "call pizza hut in my town" and not a second later its dialing. you can also say "navigate to, listen to, send text message to," etc...and this works amazingly well. it hasn't messed up a single time for me. and im not sure if this is available with the bing deal.

like i said, the samsung is obviously a sexier phone. BUT to me the x is plenty sexy (because its slim, and has a hugeeee screen, and is just a better phone i.m.o.

(EDIT I don't wanna get blasted so just to be PERFECTLY clear i only played with a samsung once for a few minutes so if i listed any features as pros on the x that the sam has as well i apologize)

thats one vote for the X!!!

OB1J3D1

Reaction score
I doubt they can waive the restocking fee. But it's worth a try. I had the same thought in my head when I walked into the VZW store. I asked the rep and he told me about the restocking fee and told me to take my time and play with the phones longer or come back another day. He even offered to extend the Fascinate BOGA up to 30 days from purchase of the first phone to let me take my time and not waste that extra fee.

I was back and forth too on the internet and in store. But, hands on is the best way to go.

I haven't made a decision yet...I think you may have read someone else's post about how they concluded to buy the fascinate. I'm still completely torn but am hoping to make a decision after work today.

Thanks for your thoughts on the X...still has me going back and forth!

Since I've been a Verizon customer for a long time, you think they'd waive the $30 fee if I tried one phone, didn't like it, and then exchanged for the other? If so, what's the better phone to try first? I was thinking of going with the X first, since if it's not too bulky for me pocket and the music quality sounded good to me that it might be a better fit since it has more storage space, is currently quicker, has better signal/call quality and has more responsive GPS. Then again, if I go with the Fascinate first, and I'm happy with it, I'd be committing to the lighter, brighter phone with the longer battery. Arghh!!!! So tough to make this decision! (I guess the upside is that I'm choosing between two great options.)

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Xperia Z3V
Since I've been a Verizon customer for a long time, you think they'd waive the $30 fee if I tried one phone, didn't like it, and then exchanged for the other?

We have been Verizon customers for about 6 or 7 years with VIP for a while until they stopped it and they never waived the restock fee (we tried 3 times).

And not that it matters much but I have read in a few forums that both the X and the Fascinate have the same signal quality and though, put together the bars are different... there really is no other difference. I cannot back this up since I have only owned the Fascinate but if read in more than one place, i'd say it's somewhat true. lol.

Last edited:

gabemtz83

Reaction score
Since I've been a Verizon customer for a long time, you think they'd waive the $30 fee if I tried one phone, didn't like it, and then exchanged for the other?

We have been Verizon customers for about 6 or 7 years with VIP for a while until they stopped it and they never waived the restock fee (we tried 3 times).

And not that it matters much but I have read in a few forums that both the X and the Fascinate have the same signal quality and though, put together the bars are different... there really is no other difference. I cannot back this up since I have only owned the Fascinate but if read in more than one place, i'd say it's somewhat true. lol.

The reason VZW reps wont waive restocking fees is because they have to meet a certain return percentage for it not to hit their paycheck. As reps they can lose as much as 20% of their total commissions just for having a return rate above 5%!!! kinda sucks for the reps for people who cant make up their mind!!lol anyway for those who say the fascinate has a sharper screen than the Droid X must be high when they look at them. AMOLED is a more vibrant screen and can produce deep blacks because the active matrix of the screen will not illuminate the area of the image that is black. Amoled in nature is not a "sharp" screen just brilliant with colors and a great contrast ratio. LCD screens will always be sharper displays with better pixel density but AMOLED and Super AMOLED will give more vibrant, brilliant colors. Now as an owner of both i like things about each one. I still prefer the droid x by a slim margine just for the fact the screen is easier to type on. I hate TW for the fascinate and bing but a simple root fixes that as far as the droid x motoblur sucks too!! Again a simple root with a little Launcher PRO action and both phones are bad ass! now the camera on the x is a little better and the same can be said for the fascinates camcorder. the fascinate has a little better camcorder that records at 30fps as opposed to 24fps on the droid x..The other thing to consider is the dev community support for the fascinate. As of right now there isnt a ton of extra stuff for it as the droid x seems to be the phone thats getting most of the work. Now the samsung does not have a locked bootloader like the x but the workaround bootstrap recovery works great on the X. So a few more things to consider. what i would do is buy a fascinate then add a line for ten bucks and get a droid x free after rebate. Problem solved!!!

GrinReaper

Reaction score
I would probably disagree with the Fascinate being the sexier phone. I think the shiny plastic looks really tacky and looks almost ghetto (figuratively..no offense meant to anybody) compared to the svelte smooth matte finish of the X. Not to mention the Fascinate is basically an iPhone clone with looks (and shape) and the Mac hater (for principles not just cos its mac) in me will not tolerate that. I don't think any self respecting Android user would like an iPhone clone. Just my $0.02

Peace!

big58ben

Reaction score
I know that you want a phone for your personal style but you just have to take a look around at the issues with both phones. For years I was Windows Mobile user. I converted to Android with the initial Droid. It had its problems but nothing like the WM phones. High on my list of "got to haves" is an accurate and quick GPS application. I travel a great deal with a really good built in vehicle GPS system BUT!!! the DVD POI list is only refreshed on an annual basis. I have come to rely a great deal on Google Maps, Navigation and integrated Places. A phone that works sporadically or slowly reminds me of the old WM days.

I have a Droid X and like most other phones it needs tweaking but the GPS is wicked fast and accurate.

My 2 cents or sense if you are trying to get directions.

x-iphone-user

Reaction score
i commute to nyc from long island to go to school and the droid x is doing great for me, the reseption is good the call quality is great and and the gps signal is strong except when i go to the grand central area. i got the fasinate when it first came out and returned it the same day because i hated it for a few resons.

spider210

Reaction score
Since launch sales reps get an incentive to sell the fascinate that's why they will try to force you to buy it. They will tell you anything positive about that and crap about the droid x. Real thing is droid x hands down beats the fascinate .

We've had tons of returns in fascinates vs droid x I think we've had 2?

Why settle for something less . Look at the specs the droid x and droid 2 have the same processor and memory.

I'm the only one in my store that recommends the x to a customer because I don't care about the kick backs from fascinate sale. If rather sell a better phone and have a customer happy. Paycheck is affected by returns ...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

dakoop

Reaction score
Making me second guess the choice of ordering the fascinate

my phone made words......

AtrusNex

Reaction score
I chose the fascinate due to it's superior hardware, but this is all under the premise of rooting it. If you aren't going to root your phone to get rid of the junk the X and the Fascinate both kind of suck but the X less so. The X has a decent OS underneath all it's crapware. The fascinate needs some custom ROM goodness for it to really live up to it's amazing hardware.

spider210

Reaction score
The fascinate only has 384mb of ram so your statement fails the droid x and droid 2 have 512mb along with the incredible

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

big58ben

Reaction score
I was being as objective as I could possibly be earlier. I was responsible for support to an executive team in a major corporation for the last 7 years. I no longer have that responsibility but I still love the technology. I really want a reason to tinker with the Fascinate so bad - but alas the comments I read lead me to believe that until the devs, Motorola and/or Samsung fix some of the issues it is a constant case of tinkering. At one time I would have enjoyed that, now not so much.

zeroryde

Reaction score
same boat

I recently got my Droid X last week and I'm enjoying it, but my boss has been trying to sway me over to get the Fascinate because of the super AMOLED screen, which I admit... I do love and wish the droid x had it... and the fact that the Fascinate didn't have a locked bootloader. Also Bing and VZ Navigator and the other stuff could be fixed with a root.

I've had my phone for a week now, I'm still thinking if I should exchange my phone for the Fascinate. The 4" screen is nice but I still love the real estate of the Droid X although it can be bulky at times...

I just wish froyo came out sooner for the Fascinate so I can do a true comparison...

I've been reading more and more reviews and I've been playing with the phone to try to convince myself to trade as my time is slowly running out, but there hasn't been a solid point yet...

If anything, I'd like to read reviews on people who have rooted their phone.. the Google Android experience is important to me, and I don't wanna bother with touchwiz, as in fact, the Fascinate isn't even backed by Google on the physical phone itself as the Droids are...

Darksthour

Reaction score
Well here is the thing... The original post was "what phone is more elite?" The problem is they are both elite. It's all personal preference. What do you like? Whats more comfortable for you? Both have their bonuses and flaws. It all comes down to what you like most. Its very easy to ask this question to other people but everything will most likely banter back and forth. This thread could go on and on forever. I would just say be glad you don't have to deal with your blackberry and aren't stuck with a 2 year crap plan with at&t for your iPhone with no warranty. Thats my 2 cents and I hope I've made some sense with my ranting.

briangp

Reaction score
You guys don't make this easy.... They're having that buy one get one any other phone offer right now.... My wife wants the X, I want the X, but the offer is not for the X... I would have to get the Fascinate, while she got the X..... ugh this sucks. I think ulimately I really want that HDMI ability! Trying to figure out if I can settle with the Fascinate. Who will be modding it?