DROID 2 vs DROID X VS Fascinate

epic_engineering

Reaction score
OK first I owned the droid 2 for about 3 weeks, I've played with the Droid X a few times and I now have the Fascinate.

I'm going to keep this brief but if you have questions about the Droid 2 vs Fascinate, post it and I'll give you an honest answer. The Droid X I haven't owned just toyed with a few times.

Picture quality: Before I bought the D2 I compared it to the Droid X which was out of stock... They are both very similar and the text on screen looks more like a sticker than a LCD screen its that clear. I did notice on the Droid X however when a webpage has images that they looked clear on the Droid 2. I'm sure this is due to them being resized slightly on the droid X but once you zoom in there both ruffly the same.. Both Awesome screens especially for reading text.

The Samsung Fascinate... What can I say I compare the droid2 and fascinate side by side before I swapped out the D2 for the fascinate.. and what a difference.

I opened the web browser and when it comes to text, hands down the Droid2 slaughters the Fascinate. The text look like a sticker. Its hard to believe that text on phone is that clear. The only thing I can compare the Droid2 text appearance is the Iphone 4. The fascinate looks good but there is a very noticeable difference in text quality.

Next I ran some apps, Need for speed Shift and Angry birds... Once again No competition.. The Samsung had much more vibrant colors, side by side the Fascinate made the droid2 and X look washed out and dull.. This screen when it comes to colors and graphics is stunning.

So if you read more text and want the best, look towards the D2 or DX. If you are willing to give up a little text clarity for a better gaming and multimedia experience Fascinate all day.

(Also worth mentioning and this is big)
Side by side while browsing the web, the screen is a much brighter white on the droids, I tried to turn up the brightness on the Fascinate but when I went back to the web, the Fascinate screen still looked dull. Hummm.. wonder why?

Screen response.... This is kind of big I can text about 77 words per minute with swype on the D2, but when trying double letters where a quick zig zag or a circle has to be made on the droid 2 will drive you nuts.. In the 3 weeks I had it, I was constantly going back and correcting words like good... It would put God and I'd have to go back and add another "o" same for works like took, or school.

The DroidX screen didn't have the same problem, maybe its more responsive or it maybe that the on screen keyboard is just larger so the circles read better, but over all I think the droid X screen is slightly more responsive than that of the D2..

The Fascinate is a beast..... Plain and simple super responsive, never a problem with a double letter, it responds to the touch very fast and accurately..

Winner: Fascinate

GPS and NAV: Loved it on the D2 I'm sure it would have loved it on the DX. Quick and Accurate every time. The D2 gps would even lock on inside my house while my actually stand alone gps won't. Simple awesome

The Fascinate however takes a few minutes to lock on and when I was standing in the same place with the D2 and the Fascinate. The D2 was more accurate, the Fascinate was probably off by about 50 yards or so... In samsungs defense I was inside but the Droid2 was still much more accurate and locked on faster.

So gps has to go the the Droid2 and Droid X, I'm sure the Fascinate will get me to my destination, but it will take about one to 2 minutes before I think it gets really accurate.

Winner: Droid2, Droid X

Call quality: I'm not supper picky on as most phones these days will send your voice clear enough to be understood by the person on the other end. I'd say all 3 phones are great for making calls. I do like the style of the Dialer more on the samsung is just more color full and interesting compared to the gray dialer on the droids.

Size: Well all three handsets a completely different, the Droid 2 isn't too big but its is to heavy to feel comfortable in the front shirt pocket, the Droid X is big for most pockets. I wear loose jeans so not a problem for me really but it is for some. The Fascinate just seems to be the perfect size, Not heavy like the Droid 2 so I can throw it in my shirt pocket, easily fits in pants pocket and has a larger screen than the D2.

My choice the Fascinate its really the right size, and weight for a device you want to carry around and live with.

In the end all great phones, what sold me on it was one, I didn't need the physical keyboard... Neither should anyone since swype exist...
The Picture quality is amazing.
The screen response is just the best.
The size is just right.
The humming bird CPU is 2.5 times faster than the snapdragon and almost 2 times faster that the TI OMAP in the droids.
The GPU is handsdown the best on the market right now, even better than the Iphone 4, and if you saw the Epic Citadel Demo on the Iphone4 you know thats hard to beat.
The phone also runs at about 10-12 frames per second faster than the Droids in video test and there running froyo 2.2 and the Fascinate is still on 2.1.
Plus its has a 6 axis tilt sensor.

So in the end I bought the phone with the Idea that it can do all my day to day task in the same way that the droids would and when its times to play games this simply will do it better.

Last edited:

Jmart922

Reaction score
What source or information do you have backing up your statement about the humming bird being 2.5 and 2 times faster then the other processors? And not everyone prefers a touch screen keyboard, everyone has their own preferences, personally I can do without one, but the qwerty keyboard is very useful when playing snesoid, I just like using the physical keyboard

Last edited:
Reaction score
Droid X and Fascinate are the same size with the exception of the Fascinate being .04" narrower.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks OP, that was a good, honest and fair comparison. I have no interest in the Fascinate personally because, well, it's not a DROID. lol, yes it's an Android phone and maybe I'm silly and stupid because of it but mine has to be a Motorola Droid.

Still I commend you on your comparisons, very interesting.

FrostMan

Reaction score
Droid X and Fascinate are the same size with the exception of the Fascinate being .04" narrower.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Samsung-Fascinate-Droid-X-01.jpg

Also thanks for that review, I do believe once I can throw stock android on this phone, it will pretty much beat anything out there.

OP
E

epic_engineering

Reaction score
What source or information do you have backing up your statement about the humming bird being 2.5 and 2 times faster then the other processors? And not everyone prefers a touch screen keyboard, everyone has their own preferences, personally I can do without one, but the qwerty keyboard is very useful when playing snesoid, I just like using the physical keyboard

Honestly, I'm an electronics junky I have Android Tables, phones etc.. I read alot of web sites and Honestly I can tell you which one I got this info from. But in certain test the Humming bird is faster, in fact every tech website admits that. They also explain how the Arm8 CPU are made and coded. An interesting fact is the Snapdragon with hack code has been shown to be up to 500% faster at certain task. Its shows how the just much code on a chipset matters.

Another interesting Fact is that Samsung builds the CPU in the iphone4 for apple. So the chipset in the galaxy S lines of phones are extremely close to chipset found in the Iphone 4.. in fact it might be better..I haven't seen a benchmark that can accurately compare the to yet though.

OP
E

epic_engineering

Reaction score

Oh and I completely understand about the physical keyboard and agree it can be beneficial to have some times. I loved my Envy2 for texting. I've been using swype for over 5 months or so on my Droid Eris and my Android Tablet and Its hard to go back..

There is an app called mytextspeed, My friend with his droid that he has had since release, who is a mad texter and web junky was on adverage about 20 words per minute slower than me on swype. I think Swype is the furture of all touch screen text input.

Bxrider117

Reaction score
I enjoyed reading your comparison. I currently own the Droid 1 and I would not swap it for the Droid 2 because the differences are not that great. I am waiting for the Droid X to be shipped to me. My order has been processed, but we all know that there is a wait. I have been intrigued and interested in the Fascinate for the power that it brings to the table and the fact that the Galaxy S has to be a good phone to be offered by all U.S. carriers. I am just apprehensive because of the lack of Google's presence. I guess I will have to go to the Verizon Store and try out the latest Android addition.

OP
E

epic_engineering

Reaction score

Actually the Droid X per verizonwireless.com

is 5.02 inches tall

The Fascinate is
4.92 inchs tall..

Not much of a difference on paper, but in person the feel and look much more different size wise. Or maybe its just me..

OP
E

epic_engineering

Reaction score
I enjoyed reading your comparison. I currently own the Droid 1 and I would not swap it for the Droid 2 because the differences are not that great. I am waiting for the Droid X to be shipped to me. My order has been processed, but we all know that there is a wait. I have been intrigued and interested in the Fascinate for the power that it brings to the table and the fact that the Galaxy S has to be a good phone to be offered by all U.S. carriers. I am just apprehensive because of the lack of Google's presence. I guess I will have to go to the Verizon Store and try out the latest Android addition.

Look at my Google search fix, I was worried about that too..!
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/samsung-fascinate-discussions/79389-google-search-work-around.html

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting up the review!

Reaction score

is 5.02 inches tall

The Fascinate is
4.92 inchs tall..

Not much of a difference on paper, but in person the feel and look much more different size wise. Or maybe its just me..

If you select both and compare you get:
Droid X 5.02H x 2.57W x 0.39D
Samsung Fascinate 5.02 x 2.53W x 0.39D

If you select just the Fascinate you get 4.92".
But the Samsung website says 4.92" so there is a misprint on VZW on the comparison data.

So I guess I was wrong! hehe

tmal2

Reaction score

is 5.02 inches tall

The Fascinate is
4.92 inchs tall..

If you select both and compare you get:
Droid X 5.02H x 2.57W x 0.39D
Samsung Fascinate 5.02 x 2.53W x 0.39D

If you select just the Fascinate you get 4.92".
But the Samsung website says 4.92" so there is a misprint on VZW on the comparison data.

So I guess I was wrong! hehe
Verizon's site is wrong. I was at a Verizon store today and physically placed the fascinate on top of the DX and it is a little shorter and just a hair narrower. Thickness seemed to be about the same except for the top to the DX where the camera is.

Although they are VERY close in size, the Fascinate does have a smaller feel to it which I liked.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
epic_engineering, I wish I could Thank your post...lol Very unbiased and appreciated.