DROID 2 vs DROID X VS Fascinate

str8havoc

Reaction score
I think your spot on with this review and thank you for taking the time to write it. I'm a huge MOTO Droid1 fan. Rooted it the first chance I got and loved it. I would drive my frinds nuts showing them everything I could do with it. My NE2 came from big red and it was time to upgrade. I was ready to get the D2 because the X was just to big for me. but yet wasn't that thrilled about the D2 just because the screen size wasn't bigger. When the Fascinate came out i was hypnotized by the screen. To me it was the perfect size and it looked great. I hated that it wasn't MOTO or a Droid and all the Verizon/Bing apps on it.

I took the plunge and got two, couldn't pass up the BOGO. My reasoning was that the Screen was the right size and that it was rooted. So far i have run into some hick ups but nothing that a software update or a good old rooting couldn't fix......I hope. If not I"ll sell it and go back to my D1.

OP
E

epic_engineering

Reaction score
I don't know I compared them in the store yesterday and the Samsung seemed laggy to me. The X snapped through every button touch and the video recording was excellent. I liked the feel of the Samsung but it has less memory internaly, no HDMI output and seemed to lag. People are talking about the processor being faster but I didn't see that testing them. Just going from the dock to the home screen it took a second for the S and the X was there as fast as I could push the button.

My brother bought an X about 2 days after I got my fascinate.. Side by side pic quality samsung wins and when scrolling through the app dock.. There is no contest my fascinate flows very fast and fluidly... You have to run through his app dock about 5-6 times to build up a memory cache or something because after that it flows quickly and smoothly... But before that from a cold start, if you launch both dock the X is noticeably slower when you flick through the app dock..

I'm just going to keep it real, I'm not a fan boy to any brand and If I was I loved my HTC Eris... But Like I said I owned the Droid 2 and the Fascinate and Now I have much more hands on experience with the droid x since my brothers recent purchase... Over all the Samsung is simply the best...

Humming bird processors the numbers don't lie after the lag fix. People expect to see qudrant scores in the 3k range with 2.2....no other phone on the market is putting up those numbers..

GPU the droid 2 and X have vx530, the Iphone 4 has the vx535, and the Galaxy S have the vx540... If you ever looked at the epic Citadel demo on Iphone its hard to believe its real, and the galaxy can produce better graphics and textures. not to mention the 5 axis accelerometer.

Lastly the touch screen on the Fascinate is worlds better than that of the droid 2, and better than the X.. over all I'm glad I made the change..

My friend that has the Iphone4 came over to check out my phone then I showed him my brothers X, immediately he said He needs to take that X back. And his only argument for his Iphone is better is the Ipod integration and the fact that people actually make better games for apple, oh and the apps are cheaper.. All three of those are slowly wasting away..

So in the end he can't even compare hardware the Iphone wont have a chance.

OP
E

epic_engineering

Reaction score
Oh I forgot, I'm using launcher Pro as my home, so that also could be why my app draw and phone moves noticeably faster than the Droid X..

Launcherpro for the win.. Free app or $2 pro plus version, much better in my oppion and NO root required.. LOL

smilepak

Reaction score
Doesn't look like there are a lot of adopter of Fascinate thus far. I wonder if it is because if the BING and lack of Android 2.2, so they are waiting off...

Mule65

Reaction score
Oh I forgot, I'm using launcher Pro as my home, so that also could be why my app draw and phone moves noticeably faster than the Droid X..

Launcherpro for the win.. Free app or $2 pro plus version, much better in my oppion and NO root required.. LOL

Put LauncherPro on the X to "keep it real".

SDC_Bolts

Reaction score
Epic -

What was the Facinate like to "root" and was there much to the fixes you had to do? for the file system lag?

ohfire

Reaction score
Your timing for this review is great, I have been trying to decide for the past few days what phone to go with. My droid 1 died and they replaced it with a droid 2, however I learned that when they did that, they extended my contract and made it an early upgrade, when I complained, they said I could switch for a phone I want. I have been debating on keeping the 2 or switching to the x or the fascinate. I was really leaning towards the fascinate until I learned it has vz nav on it. I use the google navigator a lot and it is free and pretty much spot on. Can I get it for the fascinate?

bomber889

Reaction score
Yes, you can download google maps from the marketplace. you can not download google search though, but you can just install the apk. if you decide to root, you can remove the bloatware and the bing default

ohfire

Reaction score
Yes, you can download google maps from the marketplace. you can not download google search though, but you can just install the apk. if you decide to root, you can remove the bloatware and the bing default

But on both the droid 1 and 2, you have the single button google navigate and you just speak your destination and you are off and running, does this accomplish that with google maps and google search?

ctxx24

Reaction score
First i love my X....checked out the fascinate today the colors are enough to turn me away they look like neon..to bright and unreal looking....i can only imagine looking at pics or vids on the phone (that i took) the grass wouldnt be natural it would look fake....

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Wow, this coming from someone who had the Inc? Say it isnt so....lol

Last edited:

David92

Reaction score
Thanks for this thread. Have a Droid and choosing a new phone. DroidX is a bit too bulky for me. So it's between Fascinate and Droid2. I think I can live without the physical keyboard, but would like to get some opinions on a few questions after reading a bunch of reviews.

1) Comparative battery life?
2) Heard about GPS issues with Fascinate. Workarounds?
3) 2 gigs internal storage on Fascinate. Is that enough?

Finally, any rumors of new phones from Verizon in next few weeks?