(Another) X vs Fascinate thread

jer39

Reaction score
I've done enough research to conclude that the X and Fascinate are both great phones, and that each has their advantages and drawbacks, but am having a terrible time figuring out which is the right phone for ME. Was hoping if I articulated my priorities, the forum might be able to point me in the right direction.

I'm not a major techie or gamer, and don't anticipate downloading tons of apps, so for me the phone is primarily about being good for calling/emailing/texting, surfing the net (and viewing the occasional online video or movie) and using the device as my primary music player (using earbuds with my "Rhapsody to Go" subscription).

I live in NYC and will primarily be using the phone here. Call quality/signal are important (I know the X probably wins here, but is the Fascinate a solid phone for this purpose or does it lag behind most other phones as well)? It's one thing if the X is just louder and gets signal in very low-signal areas...it's another thing if the Fascinate sounds muffled on either end of the call, or has zero or weak signal in places that it shouldn't. Internet speed is also important (but if it's pretty close between the two, I don't care...it's only a problem if one of the phones is much more sluggish than the other).

My music's sound quality via the earbuds is also really important to me, but again, it's not a dealbreaker if one phone is just slightly better than the other (it may be problematic, however, if one has superior sound quality over the other). (I also do like that the X comes with more on-board memory so I can store more of my music on it than the Fascinate, though I guess I can always get a 32gb SD card if I had to.)

I have to admit that the Fascinate just appears to me to be a sleeker/sexier phone (whereas the X has more of an industrial mini-computer feel), but as a 6' tall guy with somewhat large hands, when testing both keyboards in the Verizon store, I've had a harder time typing accurately on the Fascinate, which will be a problem if it doesn't get better, given the amount I email/text. (That said, since this is my first non-physical keyboard, maybe I'll quickly get better once I own it?) Also, although not a dealbreaker, I often do text/surf the net with one hand...will I be able to do that with the X?

Though I like the look & dimensions of the Fascinate better, I would ultimately choose substance-over-form if the X justifies it. That said, since I'm a guy, I will primarily be carrying the phone in my jeans pocket...I know the X is slightly larger/clunkier/heavier, but is it annoying to transport? I don't necessarily mind bigger if it's not too noticeable, but if it's uncomfortable to sit or walk around with it in my pocket, that could definitely be a dealbreaker.

The Bing issue doesn't bother me, but I do anticipate using the phone very occasionally as a GPS-driving-navigator and somewhat more frequently to find out about good bars/restaurants/stores near me when I'm walking around NYC. I guess I'd download Google Maps on the Fascinate, and if getting a lock on my location will be quicker once Froyo arrives, it shouldn't be a problem for me.

I doubt I'll shoot tons of video, but I will use the phone as my camera. The difference in image quality is less important to me than everything else I mentioned, as long as the photos look decent on either unit.

OK, so given this lengthy description of what I'm looking for, does it sound like I'd be happier with the X or the Fascinate?

alboboy10

Reaction score
The fascinate has an AMOLED screen, from what I understand these screens are very difficult to see in bright sunlight; however, have a beautiful screen in the dark, but too saturated and the colors seem fake. The size difference isn't that big, 4" as opposed to 4.3" screen of droid x. I'm 6 foot tall, and the phone fits fine in my pocket. It was one of my major concerns, and one of the workers at verizon actually gave me his dx to put in my pocket and see how it fit.

Doesn't matter what you get really they're both similar phones, the only major difference is gonna be the screen I think.

OP
J

jer39

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. I'm relieved to hear that the X is pocketable. Are you able to text & surf on the phone using only one hand?

Also, I noticed that when you zoom in on webpages on the X that it doesn't automatically format/wrap the larger text to fit the zoomed-in screen...and that you're left basically scrolling left & right to read the entire line of text. (With the fascinate it basically automatically formats the text). If you download a browser like Dolphin, does it fix this problem?

As for the Fascinate's AMOLED screen, it's actually a "Super AMOLED" screen, and apparently the "Super" means that it's actually more visible in direct daylight than most phones. How does the X perform in daylight?

alboboy10

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. I'm relieved to hear that the X is pocketable. Are you able to text & surf on the phone using only one hand?

Also, I noticed that when you zoom in on webpages on the X that it doesn't automatically format/wrap the larger text to fit the zoomed-in screen...and that you're left basically scrolling left & right to read the entire line of text. (With the fascinate it basically automatically formats the text). If you download a browser like Dolphin, does it fix this problem?

As for the Fascinate's AMOLED screen, it's actually a "Super AMOLED" screen, and apparently the "Super" means that it's actually more visible in direct daylight than most phones. How does the X perform in daylight?

I only text and surf with one hand. I use swype keyboard so two hands is pointless. I use one hand even when I'm at home, sitting, watching tv.

It depends, there are websites where the DX automatically formats the page to view it fully. Sometimes it doesn't, idk why!

Whether it's super or just AMOLED, led technology in general I think gives phones a super high contrast ratio, low brightness and visibility is difficult.

Is The iPhone 4's LCD the Best? | PCMag.com

go to this website (they compare the incredible) check out how much higher the contrast ratio for the Incredible is against the competition. This website will give you a good idea of how good the DX screen is.

What I like to do is leave the power widget on my main screen, so when I open my phone I know that the brightness is exactly on the right top side of my screen, so if the sunlight is EXTREMELY strong I just tap on that part of the screen and the brightness automatically goes to maximum. Once the brightness is set on maximum, I can see the screen fine even in sunlight. Once I enter a dark room again, I lower it. The screen is great on the phone, no complaints.

FSRBIKER

Reaction score
I was deciding between both as well, form factor on the Fascinate is better but after a day or two with the X the size is perfect...the screen size is awesome. I put a TPU case on the X and that improved the feel even more. The X is fine in the sun, you can just change the brightness but I have never had a problem, better than my original Droid which was fine as well. I did not like the fact the Fascinate has no LED notification light and if memory serves me right no HDMI out which will be getting plenty of use soon. I also think side by side the X feels like a better made phone, the Fascinate feels light and not as sturdy.

OP
J

jer39

Reaction score
How is the sound quality when using earphones & listening to music/mp3s and online movies/video?

xliderider

Reaction score
How is the sound quality when using earphones & listening to music/mp3s and online movies/video?

The Fascinate has a DSP equalizer that works well. Advantage to the Fascinate.

The X and Fascinate are too close to call right now with the X on 2.2 and the Fascinate on 2.1. Once the Fascinate gets 2.2, then I believe the Fascinate will be the shiz.

I had the Fascinate for a week, but returned it due to the numerous bugs (signal strength bug, GPS lock takes a long time unless you reboot each time before you use Nav, etc.). I exchanged it for an X, and wondered if I did the right thing by bailing on the Fascinate so early. However, after using the X, especially after the 2.2 update, I can say I'm happy with my decision to go with the X.

I truly believe that you will be happy with either device.

OP
J

jer39

Reaction score
Is the fascinate worlds ahead of the X in terms of mp3/audio sound quality or is it a situation where they're both really good but the fascinate is just a bit better? Because the phone is going to be my exclusive audio player I want to make sure that the sound quality doesn't stink if I choose the X.

nursereese

Reaction score
Used both

I've used both phones, someone at work has the Fascinate and I have the DX, and sound quality is (in my opinion) about equal when listening to mp3's. The color on my DX is far superior to the Fascinate. I was seriously considering trading in my DX for the Fascinate because of the faster CPU/GPU but after using both phones I decided to keep the X, it's just less buggy. That's my two cents. dancedroid

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Honestly, both are nice devices and you wont notice much difference performance wise. Gaming is better on the Fascinate, but its first only to the DX.

I thing I dislike about the Fascinate is the size. For having a smaller screen, the device should be much smaller then my X and its not. It also has a plastic cheap feel to it like all of samsungs phones.

Get the one that feels better in your hand. Also, the AMOLED screen on the fascinate is so over saturated with color it looks like a cartoon.

Your call, both are nice devices. You could always try one for 29days, bring it back and get the other if you don't like it.

DroidBO

Reaction score
I just get an X, and my Wife just got the Fascinate. They are both great phones. In my opinion, the X is better for internet and E-mail ect. but the Fascinate has 5.1 surround out put. We plugged her phone into the aux input in our car using the earphone jack, and the sound was incredible! i mean, way better then our Ipod even. There are a couple of my opinions. But, we have only had our phones since saturday. We are Blackberry converts.

spider210

Reaction score
Definitely the droid x you will not be disappointed

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

deek

Reaction score
That AMOLED screen is crazy. My brother has the galaxy S and I turned my brightness all the way up and it seemed the galaxy was still brighter. But knowing that it is hard to see in sunlight does not bother me too much now knowing I can't be as bright.

skizer41

Reaction score
Well after going back and forth the last two weeks between the X and the Fascinate I have finally made up my mind. I am going with the Fascinate. This is my first smart phone so I did as much research as I could and I think I made the right choice. In my opinion the Fascinate won by a nose, however I think it will win by heads and shoulders once the 2.2 is pushed out for the Fascinate. I am not an X basher by any means because I think they are so close it just comes down to personal preference. I don't get it until tomorrow morning because Best Buy is running a special tomorrow and the Fascinate will be free. I had my buddy set two aside for my wife and I but we can't get them until they open . I can't wait to get it.