Droid X compared to Fascinate

jer39

Reaction score
Fascinate v X

(NOTE: I posted this thread on the X Forum as well, but figured I might naturally get more X-leaning users on that thread, so wanted to gauge the response on this board as well)

I've done enough research to conclude that the X and Fascinate are both great phones, and that each has their advantages and drawbacks, but am having a terrible time figuring out which is the right phone for ME. Was hoping if I articulated my priorities, the forum might be able to point me in the right direction.

I'm not a major techie or gamer, and don't anticipate downloading tons of apps, so for me the phone is primarily about being good for calling/emailing/texting, surfing the net (and viewing the occasional online video or movie) and using the device as my primary music player (using earbuds with my "Rhapsody to Go" subscription).

I live in NYC and will primarily be using the phone here. Call quality/signal are important (I know the X probably wins here, but is the Fascinate a solid phone for this purpose or does it lag behind most other phones as well)? It's one thing if the X is just louder and gets signal in very low-signal areas...it's another thing if the Fascinate sounds muffled on either end of the call, or has zero or weak signal in places that it shouldn't. Internet speed is also important (but if it's pretty close between the two, I don't care...it's only a problem if one of the phones is much more sluggish than the other).

My music's sound quality via the earbuds is also really important to me, but again, it's not a dealbreaker if one phone is just slightly better than the other (it may be problematic, however, if one has superior sound quality over the other). (I also do like that the X comes with more on-board memory so I can store more of my music on it than the Fascinate, though I guess I can always get a 32gb SD card if I had to.)

I have to admit that the Fascinate just appears to me to be a sleeker/sexier phone (whereas the X has more of an industrial mini-computer feel), but as a 6' tall guy with somewhat large hands, when testing both keyboards in the Verizon store, I've had a harder time typing accurately on the Fascinate, which will be a problem if it doesn't get better, given the amount I email/text. (That said, since this is my first non-physical keyboard, maybe I'll quickly get better once I own it?) Also, although not a dealbreaker, I often do text/surf the net with one hand...will I be able to do that with the X?

Though I like the look & dimensions of the Fascinate better, I would ultimately choose substance-over-form if the X justifies it. That said, since I'm a guy, I will primarily be carrying the phone in my jeans pocket...I know the X is slightly larger/clunkier/heavier, but is it annoying to transport? I don't necessarily mind bigger if it's not too noticeable, but if it's uncomfortable to sit or walk around with it in my pocket, that could definitely be a dealbreaker.

The Bing issue doesn't bother me, but I do anticipate using the phone very occasionally as a GPS-driving-navigator and somewhat more frequently to find out about good bars/restaurants/stores near me when I'm walking around NYC. I guess I'd download Google Maps on the Fascinate, and if getting a lock on my location will be quicker once Froyo arrives, it shouldn't be a problem for me.

I doubt I'll shoot tons of video, but I will use the phone as my camera. The difference in image quality is less important to me than everything else I mentioned, as long as the photos look decent on either unit.

OK, so given this lengthy description of what I'm looking for, does it sound like I'd be happier with the X or the Fascinate?

Tominator

Reaction score
Fascinate is better to me because it has a PowerVR sgx 540 Graphics chip in it that blows everything(X, incredible, evo, droid 2,, iphone 4, even PSP) out of the water for 3d gaming. Plus all that GPU horsepower coupled with a perfect sized AMOLED screen and boom...sick gaming phone.

OP
J

jer39

Reaction score
I know I'm probably in the minority on this website, but I'm not much of a gamer and don't expect to become one with my new phone. Are the graphic advantages you mentioned primarily enjoyed during the gaming experience or do they also extend to watching videos, images on the internet, etc?

Tominator

Reaction score
well from what ive seen navigating and swiping through the menus on the fascinate are fluid just like iphone, the X is not smooth when swiping finger across home screens at all. So idk if samsung used the gpu to render menus but its very fluid, more so than the incredible or the X. Plus the hummingbird processor(ARM A8) in the fascinate is better than that in the droid X, uses less power and better performance. Video recording in 720p is also alot smoother on the fascinate, feels like 60 frames per second. The recording is not as smooth on the X. So far my battery life has been amazing on the fascinate also. And with Android 2.2 coming out for it soon, it will be even higher above other phones in power.

Last edited:

dshinnick

Reaction score
I had the X and returned it. It operated fine, but was just too big. I'm 6'2", 200lbs. It was too big in the holster on my hip, and felt like I was holding a deck of cards to my ear. I have the Fascinate now. A bit smaller, more svelte; it feels and looks better. I wouldn't go back.

OP
J

jer39

Reaction score
Any sense of the sound quality for music/mp3's played when using headphones?

Also, have you had any issues with reception or call clarity (either on your end of the phone or the other caller's)?

Tominator

Reaction score
sound quality for music is excellent given all the sound options including the 5.1 sound option on the fascinate. Call quality is good, although sometimes when u yell on the phone u can hear yourself sometimes. I never dropped a call yet since i bought mine on launch day. I asked others how I sound and they said it was a little more crisp than the incredible i used to own. The speaker on the phone is also good, on full volume i hear no popping or static. Only complaint about this phone is i wish the charger jack was located on the side of the phone instead of the top.

OB1J3D1

Reaction score
I was in the same position as you X vs fascinate. Coming from a Droid 1.

I was heavily leaning towards the X. Then I went to the VZW store and played with both of them for a good while. Download stuff, surfed the web etc. everything I would normally do.

In the end I chose the Fascinate. Android 2.1, Bing, etc. and all. Why? It's such a sexy phone. I runs smoooooth and quick. The X was too big for me too fat for me and too slow for me.

Since music seems to be a big deciding factor for you. The one thing I really like about Samsung's music player is it includes genre unlike the Droid.

HTH

OP
J

jer39

Reaction score
What is genre and separately, what's your experience been with call quality?

einfahrt

Reaction score
After a long time of back-n-forth demo'ing at a Verizon store the Fascinate won. I'm a long time Blackberry user so this is taking me some serious adjustment time, but the sound quality, awesome Google maps performance, voice controls, amazing graphics, & sheer customizability ;-) of the device is worth the learning curve investment. Now if I can just get the email to work nearly as good as my trusty ol' BB...

p.s. Yes, I did say "Google maps" ... unlike others, my GPS is working perfectly with Google maps.

thatisandwas

Reaction score
Okay i gotta step in for the X. I do not disagree that the samsung is a 'sexier' phone, you really cant. but i will disagree with the poster who said the x was fat. far from it. even in my case the phone is extremely thin. as far as menus, the scrolling on my droid x is great. i have 2.2 and its plenty smooth. gaming on the x is sick. playing need for speed shift is insane. every single game (3d) i have played has been amazing. doesnt stutter at all. as far as processor, it is also a 1 ghz processor, just a different brand. did you know the droid x was rated to have the best battery life of ALL androids last month even though it has the biggest screen? the music quality is great. i use both large cup sony noise cancelling phones and my favorite in ear ifrogz earbuds (the ones with the rubber that molds inside your ear) and it sounds amazing. also, i don't know if you can with the samsung, but you can set mp3s and videos for your alarm player. yes, the samsung has a sharper screen, but honestly, the screen on my x is GORGEOUS. as far as pocketing, i wear regular blue jeans daily and never have a problem with it fitting IN my pocket. yes, if you wore it on your hip it would look big, its a big phone! but it fits just fine inside my pocket. and its plenty thin. REAL thin. except for the bump where the camera is, but this doesnt bother me at all. its a sexy phone. the camera is 8mps and does a great job, and it does pretty good 720p. i don't know if the samsung has HDMI out or not, but i like this about my droid x. as far as on screen keyboards, bigger screen equals better typing experience. and if you use swift key (which is now a full version, no longer beta and under a buck) you will be typing absurdly fast...not that you couldn't also do that on the fascinate. call quality is fantastic. it has 3 microphones for noise cancelling/blocking ambient sounds so you come through crystal clear and hear the others just fine. another BIG advantage is google voice actions. i know that the samsung uses bing so im not sure that you can use the google search bar with integrated voice actions. this is hands down one of the coolest features on the phone without a doubt. you just say "call pizza hut in my town" and not a second later its dialing. you can also say "navigate to, listen to, send text message to," etc...and this works amazingly well. it hasn't messed up a single time for me. and im not sure if this is available with the bing deal.

like i said, the samsung is obviously a sexier phone. BUT to me the x is plenty sexy (because its slim, and has a hugeeee screen, and is just a better phone i.m.o.

(EDIT I don't wanna get blasted so just to be PERFECTLY clear i only played with a samsung once for a few minutes so if i listed any features as pros on the x that the sam has as well i apologize)

thats one vote for the X!!!

Last edited:

thatisandwas

Reaction score
Oops, started typing before i saw your decision. Im just glad you got an android instead of another BB. And hey, they are both AMAZING phones. Now you can definitely say you have one of (if not the) best phones in the world.....for the next week lol. Enjoy it!

OP
J

jer39

Reaction score
I haven't made a decision yet...I think you may have read someone else's post about how they concluded to buy the fascinate. I'm still completely torn but am hoping to make a decision after work today.

Thanks for your thoughts on the X...still has me going back and forth!

Since I've been a Verizon customer for a long time, you think they'd waive the $30 fee if I tried one phone, didn't like it, and then exchanged for the other? If so, what's the better phone to try first? I was thinking of going with the X first, since if it's not too bulky for me pocket and the music quality sounded good to me that it might be a better fit since it has more storage space, is currently quicker, has better signal/call quality and has more responsive GPS. Then again, if I go with the Fascinate first, and I'm happy with it, I'd be committing to the lighter, brighter phone with the longer battery. Arghh!!!! So tough to make this decision! (I guess the upside is that I'm choosing between two great options.)

OB1J3D1

Reaction score
What is genre and separately, what's your experience been with call quality?

Genre would be rock pop jazz etc. And I also just found the equalizer that is non existent on the moto player.

Call quality on Verizon has been great here in Los Angeles. No dropped calls whatsoever. As far as audio quality while on a call, I must say that my Droid is better than on the Fascinate. But then again it was like tiwce the thickness as well. And it's not like it's bad on the fascinate just better on the droid. I don't like speakerphone so I haven't tried that.

I suggest you take a friend to the verizon store and call one of the display phones and give it a listen.

OB1J3D1

Reaction score
After a long time of back-n-forth demo'ing at a Verizon store the Fascinate won. I'm a long time Blackberry user so this is taking me some serious adjustment time, but the sound quality, awesome Google maps performance, voice controls, amazing graphics, & sheer customizability ;-) of the device is worth the learning curve investment. Now if I can just get the email to work nearly as good as my trusty ol' BB...

p.s. Yes, I did say "Google maps" ... unlike others, my GPS is working perfectly with Google maps.

I agree, except on the email. I'm using gmail and I get my messages within seconds.