Droid X battery problems discovered!!!!!!!

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
on privacy in settings i un-checked use my location.

Well, this is part of the workaround we've been talking about for this entire thread.

And good call on uninstalling the task killer.

I don't know about you guys, but my battery lasts as long as my Motorola Droid did.

So what is your battery life? How many hours? Do you leave GPS turned off?

wmscottmc

Reaction score
on privacy in settings i un-checked use my location... my battery standby use went from killing like 50% of my phones battery to less than 20%.. and although i don't use the social networking widgets i turned off social networking sync and maybe that helped it as well.
I think you have something here. Ive tried a number of other things on this thread with no real results. UnChecking my location has made a difference.

So, what exactly does this option do? Is it required for GPS to function?
Do you also have GPS turned off?

Thanks!

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Lets Google products IE Maps and the browser use you location from where your cell signal is being picked up. Does not necessarily use your GPS, but can if you have it turned on. I have it on and my cell standby is usually around 20%, but I keep my GPS turned off.

sh6ne

Reaction score
settings --> data manager --> data delivery --> social applications ...and then i checked sync over wifi only

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
The "no sleep" bug occurs sporadically. Sometimes your Running% will be high, sometimes not. I've listed the known workarounds so if you use them you should never see Running% be high even when the phone's been sleeping.

Rishi P

Reaction score
Yes i've used most of the techniques explained here along with just common sense...but what will the update fix all this or are we supposed to use our phones like this forever now??

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yes i've used most of the techniques explained here along with just common sense...but what will the update fix all this or are we supposed to use our phones like this forever now??

Motorola has been informed of the problem. I don't know how they could have let it slip by in the first place except that they wanted to sell overpriced extended batteries.

I don't see how this CAN'T be fixed with the update...2 more weeks...we'll be able to leave the phone settings for GPS and WIFI on and you'll want to because that's how the phones are designed to run.

Last edited:

lerxst

Reaction score
Ok, I'm ready to buy the X today but have some concerns after reading this thread. Are these problems being found in the phones that were shipped on or around release date, or are these problems still occurring in phones that have been shipping more recently? Also, I understand that a software update will hopefully fix these issues...agian just wondering if anything has been addressed on the newer batches of phones. Thanks for any info.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
Speaking as a software developer, the problem very likely can and will be fixed with a software change. I don't think that the hardware will need a change.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
A BETTER WORKAROUND???

This is something I just saw on androidforums. It is regarding the HTC Incredible, but very very interesting.

From what I learned, it is the network location. If you just turn it on, the phone will sleep just fine - until you trigger it (by using maps, for example, which will first try to get network location while trying to get satellite data). Network location service will never release the lock, and you won't see anything in logcat, because nothing is happening: noone is requesting anything from location service, it is not doing anything - excepting holding the lock until you reboot the phone. First use of location services after reboot => no sleep again.

A Droid X user says:

I disabled "network location" on my phone and it seems to be behaving itself again. Hope this is helpful to others!

No sleep has nothing to do with anything - Page 2 - Android Forums

Battery Drain due to Software Bug w/GPS? - Android Forums

sh6ne

Reaction score
uh yeah. this un checking use my location totally fixed my battery issues. my phone idle and standbye use to kill between 25-40% of my battery and now both are below 10%. im at 5 hours and of moderate use and still at 80%. before my phone would be at 30% after 8 hours or so and at this rate after 10 hours ill be at 60% left. i dont know... it's worked for me so far.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
uh yeah. this un checking use my location totally fixed my battery issues. my phone idle and standbye use to kill between 25-40% of my battery and now both are below 10%. im at 5 hours and of moderate use and still at 80%. before my phone would be at 30% after 8 hours or so and at this rate after 10 hours ill be at 60% left. i dont know... it's worked for me so far.

I guess you found the secret sauce! I wonder if that's all that's needed to work around this bug. People were saying wifi and charging were causing it too.

BLAZE86DUBZ

Reaction score
im getting my driod x tomorrow in the mail im a newbe what are the first things i should do?