Droid X Battery Life

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid X' started by Jira, Jul 18, 2010.

1. Jira

Jira New Member

Hey guys,

I got my Droid X yesterday and it seems that it has really low battery life. It was charged to 100% last night and after using it for around 10minutes I put it down and went to sleep. I woke up this morning and the battery is already at 70%. Do you know why the battery goes down so fast? Any methods to fix it?

What is a good app to keep track of battery life etc.?

Thank you!
  2. Immolate

Immolate New Member

Jira,

Apparently the indicator isn't correctly reading the charge level correctly. Some have had success by letting the phone drain until it turns itself off, which is in a way telling the phone where the "bottom" is. I believe this is one of the bugs that the 7/19 (Monday) fix .604 is supposed to address.
  3. CSmith_AndroidD

CSmith_AndroidD New Member

You just bought it yesterday, you have to complete several cycles (charge and discharge) before you will have good battery life. Its something to do with the chemicals in it.
  4. igknight

igknight New Member

I have noticed this too. If I reboot the phone when its low, I get another 20% out of it. When I get new batts for any device I drain it and charge it a few times. I read someplace that it helps extend it by helping it remember its full limits or something. I have not done the update yet.
  5. Jira

Jira New Member

How will i download the update on monday?

Also you said the battey indicator is not showing correctly but when i use the battery widget it displays the same low battery life. Should i try to complete a few charge cycles before ethinking about
    asking them to replace the battery?
  6. ShadowDroid

ShadowDroid New Member

This is what I did the first day I received my droid X.....it only came with like 30 percent power so I used the phone until it died....then fully charged it again.....then ran it until it died again....then fully charged it....and its been perfect in terms of maximizing the amount of battery life I can get out of it....coming from a Moto Q9m rooted.....Id say besides that keep an eye on your tasks your running and make sure you continue to kill apps your not using anymore.........I feel like im killing apps like once every few hours just to maximize my memory available and its proven well on the Q in extending battery life so hopefully on the X it will do the same.........and I didnt charge my phone last night at all...left it sitting on my desk with 20 percent when I woke up and unlocked it....it still said 20 percent and stayed there so I hope that helps =)
  7. Jira

Jira New Member

So, I guess I should try to kill the phone and charge it all the way back up for awhile then.

Also, is it bad to keep the phone plugged into the charger overnight? From what I hear from the Verizon rep. I was talking to, she said that it will make my phone die faster or something like that.. true or false?

Is the Droid X battery life really as good as the reports say it is because my battery life seems to be mediocre. Maybe it'll change when I follow the kill/charge to full for awhile method mentioned above.
  8. Signum

Signum Member

the htc incredible has this same issue. in order to get it fully charged you have to:

1. charge phone until led indicator turns green while phone is ON.
    2. unplug device, power phone off. Plug phone in. Charge until indicator turns green.
    3. Power on device. Unplug. Power off. Plug back in one last time until indicator turns green.
    4. ????
    5. profit.
  9. Jira

Jira New Member

I dont think that method works for the Droid X...
  10. Sydman

Sydman Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Same sort of issue here with me, first day I got it I used to at work till it turned itself off. Charged it up all the way took about 3 hours, then used it again until it just turned itself off. So going to see how it does after this charge, hope it gets better cause it should be able to last a day with heavy use. Other than the short battery life for now I love the phone, switching from Blackberry.
  11. Immolate

Immolate New Member

See below, and click the link if you'd like to better assess the credibility of the reference. The second item is most relevant to this discussion. The issue being, your phone doesn't really know where the "bottom" of your battery is, and until you show it (by draining the battery completely), it won't know. However, spam-draining it like we used to do with NiCad to establish memory, will only shorten your battery's lifespan. Drain it once a month and avoid baking it as much as you can. For the X problem, a full drain should work nicely until the upgrade (hopefully) makes it behave more like we expect it to.

12. johnomaz

johnomaz Well-Known Member

Mine did it too when I first got my x. It died completely the first night I had it though it showed at last 50% left. Had to use the ac adapter, not usb, to get it to turn back on and ever since I've had no issues. Its been about 24 hours since I full charged and I'm over 50% battery now with moderate use.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
  13. cizzlen

cizzlen New Member

Care to describe in details the whole process? My battery lasts half what everyone else is saying and I hardly use my phone to a moderate level. There's no social networking crap and its always on battery saver mode so what gives? My cousins Evo lasts longer than my X on heavier use :/ one of the main things I was looking forward to coming from the Droid was this supposedly stellar battery life but I haven't seen any of that yet.

Anyone have any recommendations? I'm a bit jealous of your Droidx's lol. Sorry I had to rant sick of being the oddball right now :/.
  14. RBern

RBern New Member

Fix for short battery life on Droid X

I was having the same problem with extremely short battery life. I'd fully charge it overnight and by 11 am it was drained. I took it to Verizon and they downloaded an app called "App Killer". Put this on your home page and run it every so often - problem solved.

What happens is that every time you run an app, it continues to run, even when you go back to home (which, according to documentation will end the app). So, after you've run a few apps, especially things like Maps or other apps that keep refreshing, you're just sucking battery juice.

Randy
  15. deranger

deranger New Member

Once again, tons of misinformation is being spread in this thread.

Do not use app killers to auto-kill all apps after a preset time. You should only use them to force an application to close when it malfunctions, which is rare. Auto-killing all apps causes the OS to recache applications, which hurts battery life.

Lithium Ion batteries to not benefit from full cycling, whatsoever.

Also, I'd like to add that reducing screen brightness and eliminating unnecessary widgets that constantly sync seemed to help my battery life out quite a bit. I run in Performance Mode and can easily get a full day, 5 am to 10pm, out of it.
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2010
  16. accellpo

accellpo New Member

A little off topic, but how much free RAM are you guys seeing with the DX? Mine arrives Friday and I'm expecting it to be double the D1 RAM which never gets over 75mb free.
  17. deranger

deranger New Member

Free RAM is wasted RAM. If an application needs more memory than is available, a rarely used cached app will be unloaded to make room. I only see ~75MB free any any given time, which is 17% according to SystemPanel.
  18. accellpo

accellpo New Member

I know my Droid starts having problems when the RAM hits 35mb or lower. I get a blank home screen and lag. Then I use Advanced Task Manager to end things i'm not using and all is fine. Dont want this to turn into a debate on task managers because I believe if you know how to use it, its a great tool. Just wanted to know how much free RAM is on the DX.
  19. aminaked

aminaked New Member

Some things to consider:

20. Caden

Caden New Member

Yeah, same issue here. But I think that if you just let it totally decharge a couple times, the battery life gets better. Of course, this could only be psychosomatic on my part! ;)
Search tags for this page
battery for droid x
battery life for droid x
droid moto x battery life

droid x battery

droid x battery life

droid x maximize battery life
droid x new battery weak
droidx battery life
how to maximize battery life on droid x
maximize my droidx battery life
motorola droid x about battery life