Droid X battery problems discovered!!!!!!!

Rishi P

Reaction score
So will this so called update fix all these battery problems or are we always going to have to keep our phones in this "reserved" mode?

Scubamike

Reaction score
Battery life without GPS...

My first full day with the Droid X has been a little disappointing in the area of battery life. I ran Spare Parts. The running percentage has never gone above 31%. My display and phone have consumed about 85% of the spent battery. I've talked about 30 minutes total today, sent a couple e-mails and texts, and surfed the web for about 5 minutes today. I've also showed my phone off a bit to friends and colleagues, but no other extensive use.

I am at 30% battery with just over 9 hours of use. My wake time is around 2 hours of that 9. The GPS hasn't been turned on and, accordingly, shows no usage history in Spare Parts. Is this what I should expect for battery life or have you guys seen improvement after a few charge/discharge cycles?

My samsung Omnia I910 never reached this level of battery at 3:30 in the afternoon even with significantly heavier use.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'd say 15+ hours is normal.

You need to calibrate it at least once. Drain the battery all the way and then charge it all the way.

Cell standby shouldn't be too high otherwise you need to dial *228 and update PRLs.

Look out for those widgets and apps draining juice.

People have been talking about syncing facebook contacts causing problems...it hangs or something and keeps running.

Ditch the live wallpapers. Put screen on auto brightness or lower.

kathym

Reaction score
I have a droid incredible and it has a TERRIBLE battery life. Unless I plug it into power it runs down really quick. I'm new to this and not used to my battery running down so quickly. Seems they could come out with a battery that last at least all day when using the apps. Haven't quite figured which app runs it down the quickest.

tj1772

Reaction score
This is my third smartphone. I find that no matter what you do the standard battery is never adequate. I use my phone mainly for talk, email, text and web browsing only. I'm lucky to get 8 hours. I resigned to this issue, so I always buy an extended battery. I'm waiting for reviews on which extended battery to purchase. It's unfortunate that we have to do this.

inthefad3

Reaction score
This is only the second day with my Droid X and I too have been disappointed with the battery performance so far. While I don't have the GPS/no-sleep issue since I don't use the GPS or ather app I seem to have other issues, My Running % in Spare Parts is 46% but I have not really used the phone all that much. I don't have any widget other than the AccuWeather widget and have only TweetDeck (@ 30 minute intervals) and GMail running in the background.

Today I unplugged my phone from the charger at around 7:30AM and by 1:30PM I was already @ 40%. In these 6 hours, I have 84% used for the display while cell stand by is at only 11%. I have the screen timeout at 30 seconds and for most of the day I've had the brightness set at Auto. I tried a lower level but hated it.

I alrady did one full discharge, full charge yesterday so I hope doing it again today will help.

I was also surprised about the reboot after charge option. Do people do this every day? Does it make that big of a difference when the GPS issue is not applicable?

sh6ne

Reaction score
^un-check use my location in settings --> privacy... made my battery last 50% longer.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
GPS is not the only thing that causes the no sleep bug. Try sh6ne's suggestion.

If that doesn't work, come back here and let us know.

Kheovnien

Reaction score
This is my third smartphone. I find that no matter what you do the standard battery is never adequate. I use my phone mainly for talk, email, text and web browsing only. I'm lucky to get 8 hours. I resigned to this issue, so I always buy an extended battery. I'm waiting for reviews on which extended battery to purchase. It's unfortunate that we have to do this.

do you get 8 hours total battery life or 8 hours with the screen on? if total, how long is the screen on? 2 hours on and 6 off??

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
If you uncheck that map will not work, FC for me when I try and open it. Plus I like google knowing where I am when I do a search, that is where ATK comes in handy. When I am done I close it and its not using any juice anymore.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you uncheck that map will not work, FC for me when I try and open it. Plus I like google knowing where I am when I do a search, that is where ATK comes in handy. When I am done I close it and its not using any juice anymore.

Maps works for me with network location turned off. Getting a GPS fix does take longer than waiting for a network fix, though. I don't think that killing maps fixes the "no sleep" bug.

Last edited:

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Oh I meant the browser sorry not maps. I still keep my GPS off since this problem was found.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
And my maps still work when I turned off the network location under the location and security with the other gps settings. But when I went under privacy and unchecked the one sh6ne was talking about that said use my location, when I open maps it will FC. Then when I go back in and check it maps work fine.

aminaked

Silver Member
Reaction score
HEAR YE! HEAR YE! LEAKED 2.2 UPDATE FOR X FIXES THIS BUG

This is from androidforums.com:

Great news all!

I installed the leaked Froyo 2.2 and this bug does NOT exist.

I run the exact same test and my phone does indeed go to sleep after the GPS is activated.

Now I can leave my GPS always on again!

So if you want to take the plunge and manually install the leaked update, you won't have to worry about this bug on the X!

But when I went under privacy and unchecked the one sh6ne was talking about that said use my location, when I open maps it will FC. Then when I go back in and check it maps work fine.

That's kinda weird Syd. It doesn't FC for me.

OK, yes, I see that Google.com relies on your network location, not satellites. Bummer.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Yeah just installed the leaked version so far so good, now about to go rename those bloatware again and should be happy.