Battery Life... You've Got Questions, We've Got Answers!

OP
Juicemane

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Hello fellow Droid Lovers! I decided to try to consolidate all the information floating around about the battery performance for our beloved Droid X....

Thanks for taking the time. This forum needed this. If you read my thread you commented from before this thread you created, you would understand that all those tips/tricks you say here were tested in my part.

What im getting at is, if all this fails and you are still having a TERRIBLE batter life, please call VW and ask them to transfer you to MOTO CS to have them send you a new battery. Lemons are inevitable in todays world, and new battery's are the answer implemented with what you have posted.

Thanks for this explanation, it will help lots of people.

NP at all, thanks for being the guinea pig :icon_ banana:

justin82

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the information. Im going to try to research this more indepth, and I will make the changes to the OP.

Update * yea, definitly doesnt make a difference, if anything it might use slightly more battery when running black background because the pixel has to be fully powered to block the backlight. OP is updated. Thanks again![/QUOTE]

no problem glad i could help.. great article.. thanks for spending time on it.

InfamousDX

Reaction score
You instruct to stay away from JuiceDefender. That's a dumb statement without any proof behind it. I've used JD enabled and disabled on my extended battery and disabling data periodically (when it's enabled) is a WINNER for saving battery.

JSWeathers

Reaction score
Thanks so much for putting this thread together! I've tried task killers and can say from first hand experience that they make things WORSE, not better!

One question. I know that widgets on the home screen will eat up juice, but will just regular shortcuts to applications and such use more battery as well?

Thanks!

OP
Juicemane

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Thanks so much for putting this thread together! I've tried task killers and can say from first hand experience that they make things WORSE, not better!

One question. I know that widgets on the home screen will eat up juice, but will just regular shortcuts to applications and such use more battery as well?

Thanks!

Regular App Icons? Nah you're fine. The widgets require background process to run, icons do not.

You instruct to stay away from JuiceDefender. That's a dumb statement without any proof behind it. I've used JD enabled and disabled on my extended battery and disabling data periodically (when it's enabled) is a WINNER for saving battery.

Based on what? Did you do any significant testing to see? Or are you basing that statement on the tiny widget with a random number shown to you... Ive tried Juice defender on 3 different Android devices on 2 different networks (MT3G on Tmobile, D1, DX) and trust me when I say that when it works, it works. Problem is, its never been a stable piece of software. Just see #1 in the OP. or Post up some legit information and if the community agrees, Ill change the OP.

BMWBig6

Reaction score
And you should setup WiFi to never go to sleep if the phone is in Sleep/Standby.

Please pardon my ignorance (I searched the archives and came up empty), but how do I do this? I see 3rd party Android apps in the marketplace that claim to "keep Wifi alive" but is there a way to do this natively in 2.2 without any separate apps?

B.Wallace85

Reaction score
Result Report: Since following the directions in this thread, my battery life has been unbelievable. I've been unplugged since 6:30PM yesterday CST. Now it's 9:00AM CST and I'm on 50%. 14.5 hours, not too shabby. :icon_ lala: G.O.A.T. Thread.

OP
Juicemane

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Result Report: Since following the directions in this thread, my battery life has been unbelievable. I've been unplugged since 6:30PM yesterday CST. Now it's 9:00AM CST and I'm on 50%. 14.5 hours, not too shabby. :icon_ lala: G.O.A.T. Thread.

Glad we could help :icon_ banana:

alboboy10

Reaction score
22 hours with 30% left. I didn't use it too much and had it in airplane mode for about 4 hours. I did about 15 minutes of navigating, a bit of browsing, about 50-70 texts. Checking ESPN zone application a little.

P.S. Loving LauncherPro I even paid the extra three bucks to resize widgets, it's worth it. Battery life has improved a LOT, BUT there's no way I'm gonna be seeing 3 days like some other people here lol.

Does anybody use beautiful widgets? Does that kill the battery?

cbaty08

Reaction score
22 hours with 30% left. I didn't use it too much and had it in airplane mode for about 4 hours. I did about 15 minutes of navigating, a bit of browsing, about 50-70 texts. Checking ESPN zone application a little.

P.S. Loving LauncherPro I even paid the extra three bucks to resize widgets, it's worth it. Battery life has improved a LOT, BUT there's no way I'm gonna be seeing 3 days like some other people here lol.

Yes, it does use more power than if it were not installed.

OP
Juicemane

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com

If you set the weather update interval higher and disable gps its not bad.

OP
Juicemane

Juicemane

Bang Bang
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Just want to update and let everyone know that a new PRL is out. Im currently on 52031

ylomnstr

Reaction score
As a side note. Turning off WiFi should only be done when NOT around a WiFi signal. Otherwise you want WiFi on over 3G. WiFi uses less power by at least 30% to 40%. And you should setup WiFi to never go to sleep if the phone is in Sleep/Standby. Because auto-sync data will occur during Sleep/Standby which will drain your battery more than if you had it connected to WiFi.

Keep up the good work and data collection.

What if you have it set so that the data turns off after 15 minutes of not being in use? Is it still better to turn wifi sleep to never? (Thats in advanced settings under manage networks right?)

Is this really true? I thought wifi kills the battery quicker? At work, we have a crappy signal, and my phone dies much quicker than it does when I'm not at work on the weekends. So if I connect to wifi at work, it should last longer? I guess I'll give it a shot! Thanks.

250 or point 65

Reaction score
Yep, the wifi trick worked for me. Plus I have an N router at home, so I'm much faster than 4G :)

Dr.Dad

Reaction score
If I could actually keep my wifi signal then maybe that would help, but disconnecting and reconnecting kills the battery, but alas I have griped elsewhere, I won't bring it here
thanks for the posts...it seems to be helping!