Droid X Battery Life

timrock

Reaction score
I'm @ 15% battery life left, 35 hours of usage.

In that 35 hours, I have:

- Used Bluetooth/Pandora to hook up to Ford sync for 2-3 hours (multiple commutes)
- Did the 2.2 OTA update
- Received/sent 30+ text messages/gtalks
- Received/Read 10-20 Gmail emails
- Made a few short <5 minute phone calls
- Downloaded/Installed ~5 apps from the market
- Played around on Buzz for a total of an hour
- Messed around on Facebook for a total of 30 minutes
- Read random blogs and wikipedia articles for a total of 30 minutes
- Other miscellaneous stuff like just playing around with settings since its still new

ok...people that post things like this I just can't believe it. My phone wouldn't go 35 hours not even with light use. Let alone doing all of that stuff. And I consider my battery good.

Went to sleep around 4am and just woke up at 1030am. Phone was in airplane mode.

Still @ 10%, but now I am at 43 hours.

By no means am I a power user, though. As I detailed above, that is pretty moderate usage I think.

I'm not rooted, otherwise I would take a screenshot. I have battery indicator, so it is in my notifications "10, Unplugged for 43 hours" which matches up with when I unplugged it at work 2 days ago. No matter what I do, though, you won't believe me because the system battery stats (with the %'s of whats using the battery) was reset with the OTA update I did last night.
i just installed Batter Indicator, and when i open it up and click "View Battery Use", i get a message saying "Sorry! The Application Setting (process com.android.setting) has stopped unexpectdely. Please try again." whats going on?

and what are people using to take screenshots of their phones?

Last edited:

ffmariners

Reaction score
The OTA wiped out the data, but if I recall, it was around 40% standby, 40% display.. and then some misc stuff.

I took an image before it died.

When it got to 10%, I got in my car to go to work. I checked my voicemail, made a phone call <2 minutes, and listened to Pandora through bluetooth to my car for about 10-15 minutes before the phone powered off.

Will post the image I took with my camera soon.

timrock

Reaction score
i just installed Batter Indicator, and when i open it up and click "View Battery Use", i get a message saying "Sorry! The Application Setting (process com.android.setting) has stopped unexpectdely. Please try again." whats going on?

and what are people using to take screenshots of their phones?

never mind re Battery Indicator, removed the battery and all is good now.

ffmariners

Reaction score
If you want a list of the apps I have, I'll type em up. Not sure if that would be useful, though.

tnhockey

Reaction score
i think the battery life on my X is awesome, especially after the update. i had a dinc with 2.2 and i was lucky if my battery lasted me 6 hours with barely any use (some texts, couple emails, a call or two) and with my X my battery was still at 70% with moderate use and a lot of web after 12 hours. and today it was still at 100% after being off the charger for 3 hours. this is the main reason i ditched the dinc and got the x. although despite hearing the reception is better on the x, it seems to be just as bad as the dinc. but i love not having to worry if my phones going to die by lunch.

ffmariners

Reaction score
i think the battery life on my X is awesome, especially after the update.

If it get's better, it would be a moot point (for me) at this juncture. Lasting 2+ days would just be crazy!

But I updated to 2.2 on my 43 hour run, so I'll see if this charge lasts as long!

ffmariners

Reaction score
Will post the image I took with my camera soon.

Attached the images to post.

how did you get the battery to last that long?

I'll just list out the things I did:

• Dial *228, option 2 to update TTL tables
  • Turn GPS off when not in use
  • Turn wifi off when I don't need to connect to my home network
  • Use airplane mode at night (6-7 hours)
  • Disable data sync when I am leaving my desk at work for a few hours and won't have my phone on me (maybe once a day?)
  • Turn bluetooth off when I leave my car (so its used about 1.5-2 hrs/day)
  • Changed sync times for apps like Facebook
  • No live background
  • Minimal widgets that need data syncing (weather is set to 4 hours)
  • Didn't install pointless apps I won't use... if I install one and think it is useless I uninstall it. Most of the apps I installed are highly reviewed
  • Screen timer is @ 30 seconds, with a screen lock
  • Disabled Use My Location
  • Brightness is normally around 12%, unless I am in my car or outside
If I think of more I'll add it.. Also, I did the 2.2 OTA update so I probably don't need to worry about the GPS toggle. The Use My Location checkbox seems to be gone.

ffmariners

Reaction score
My phone will never go 43 hours with that much usage. I text a lot throughout the day...There's times where I sent hundreds of texts a day I wonder if that and the vibration kill the battery that bad.

Hundreds! Wow. Probably also has a lot to do with the screen...

BodyBagz

Reaction score
So far, the longest timed trial I have had since the Froyo update has been just over 26 hours with 20% remaining.

I plan on doing a real stress test starting Friday morning and running until the phone dies completely. I will use the phone during this time as I would on any other normal day:
2-5 phone calls of 1-5 minutes each
1-15 text messages
5-10 Facebook update checks
1 hour or so of music app while hooked to my car stereo
1-2 hours of web browsing
5-10 Market download/install/playing around with sessions for various apps
1 hour or so of Paper Toss or Solitaire
2-3 email downloads/viewing from Gmail and my Charter account

Personally, if I can get 12-15 hours of good steady use without the battery going completely dead, I will be happy and content. For what this phone can do and with the size of the display it has, 12-15 hours of solid use out of a battery is well above par IMHO...:)

usb

Reaction score
Do you people who get crazy good battery life use task killers or antiviruses or battery saving apps such as juicedefender?

Last edited:

ffmariners

Reaction score
Do you people who get crazy good battery life use task killers or antiviruses or battery saving apps such as juicedefender?

None of the above. I just modify settings to my task at hand. If I root it, I would probably underclock it, too.