Droid X 2.2 Install

dz93

Reaction score
I did everything that every tutorial out there told me to do yet I can't manage to get Froyo installed on my droid x. It's rooted. I downloaded Bootstrapper and rom manager. I create a bootstrap recovery and wait for it to say sucess then in rom manager I click flash clockworkmod recovery and then click reboot into clockwork. I have the 2.2 update on my SD card on the root of it and it's named update.zip however the directions always tell me i can either choose the file manually or click apply update.zip from sdcard. I did both and both times all it said was finding packed installing package then went straight to replacing stock recovery with clockwork or something like that. Idc what it takes I will reformat my whole phone I just want 2.2 and other custom roms on my phone yet I seem to have been unable to do that. I'm not usually an idiot when it comes to stuff like this but for whatever reason I can't get anything to work right. Can someone walk me through what's needed to do this please?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
are you sure youre using the 2.2 update? what is the exact error youre getting?

OP
D

dz93

Reaction score
I don't get an error. When I'm in recovery I choose the zip and click install and it says unpacking zip. Installing Zip. Replacing ClockWork with stock Recovery.

Now it doesn't say that exactly but that's the general order of what it says. After its says the replacing clockwork stuff it just goes back to the home page of the recovery menu. Pretty much it just won't install the update. And yes I'm pretty sure its 2.2 since I downloaded it off some wiki droid x rooting page where it gave instructions to installing froyo on droidx

Bxrider117

Reaction score
I installed2.2 on my Droid X from the version in Rom Manager. Once I downloaded it it gave the option to back up rom and wipe data and cache. First time i checked all and it di not install. @nd time I did not create another back up and did not check anything and it installed perfectly. Then after reboot I loaded Black Glass theme and I am good now.

K

kbatrph

I did everything that every tutorial out there told me to do yet I can't manage to get Froyo installed on my droid x. It's rooted. I downloaded Bootstrapper and rom manager. I create a bootstrap recovery and wait for it to say sucess then in rom manager I click flash clockworkmod recovery and then click reboot into clockwork. I have the 2.2 update on my SD card on the root of it and it's named update.zip however the directions always tell me i can either choose the file manually or click apply update.zip from sdcard. I did both and both times all it said was finding packed installing package then went straight to replacing stock recovery with clockwork or something like that. Idc what it takes I will reformat my whole phone I just want 2.2 and other custom roms on my phone yet I seem to have been unable to do that. I'm not usually an idiot when it comes to stuff like this but for whatever reason I can't get anything to work right. Can someone walk me through what's needed to do this please?
Get Rom Manager from the Market. Get your phone rooted. Once your phone is rooted, run Rom Manager, select "download roms", then "stock images"....FROYO will be there waiting for you to download.....enjoy!

moagm316

Reaction score
I did the exact steps you stated and it continually failed to install.

moagm316

Reaction score
I finally got it rooted. I had to DL some newer drivers for USB. I rooted via ADB. Worked flawlessly.
Pretty simple command line stuff.

someotherguy

Reaction score
I've ran into the same thing on a coworkers phone. I uninstalled / reinstalled Recovery and Rom manager and that took care of it.