Droid stolen....

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
They will be replacing it with another Droid. But someone earlier in the thread mentioned I wouldn't be getting a Droid, instead a similar phone. But I just got off the phone with them and they said no I should have a brand new droid in my hand tomorrow. No different phone.

I personally think the insurance on such an expensive phone is a no brainer. I will keep the insurance for a year and a half. I am sure within that time a new version or better phone even will come out and I will go upgrade.

Thanks for clearing that up. Appreciate it.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
What are the insurance options? I thought it was too expensive when I bought the phone, but I wouldn't be happy if I lose it. I'm still within the 30 days, so I think I can add it now.
Asurion.
3rd party provider.
Insurance through the company that provides your homeowner's insurance.
Etc.

zeira

Reaction score
You guys convinced me, so I went and activated the insurance today :). No problems within 30 days, he just took the battery out and looked at the phone a bit and that was it! I'll probably cancel it in a year and a half.

soba1

Reaction score
If you had google latitude active....you could view the location of the phone

Really thanks for the tip but how does that work.....
Oh logon from desktop and see your own location correct?

thelion

Reaction score
Do you guys remember the days when you could add and remove insurance at will? I remember when you could have a phone 1+ years, add insurance and make a claim the next day (I never did this but know plenty that have)...not anymore. I guess they learned.

shademar

Reaction score
I bit the bullet and bought insurance today, after years of thinking insurance on electronic devices was an utter scam. The loss/theft coverage tipped it over the cusp, as the building I work in gets broken into all the time and we get a constant flux of police reports about muggings, ect in a two-block radius. The story in this thread plus seeing a friend with a black eye from having gotten clocked in the head with a weapon by muggers in her own driveway is making me a bit overcautious....

Also, I'm clumsy. No brainer.

OP
D

droidhero

Reaction score
Update:

Hey guys just wanted to let you know I lucked out. My Droid came in this morning! Excited and glad to have one again. So I am posting from it now

It seems like a new phone, packaging and all seemed new and phone had screen plastic on it. So for any of you concerned about getting a hand me down, I think its new.

The phone seems to be running a little laggy though, might just be me. I just thought my old one seemed super smooth, so any hiccup has me worried.... We will see.

To anyone thinking about insurance I would recommend it. It helps cushion the blow of losing, breaking, or it getting stolen like mine did. I will probably drop it at about a year and change and try to upgrade early.

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Update:

Hey guys just wanted to let you know I lucked out. My Droid came in this morning! Excited and glad to have one again. So I am posting from it now

It seems like a new phone, packaging and all seemed new and phone had screen plastic on it. So for any of you concerned about getting a hand me down, I think its new.

The phone seems to be running a little laggy though, might just be me. I just thought my old one seemed super smooth, so any hiccup has me worried.... We will see.

To anyone thinking about insurance I would recommend it. It helps cushion the blow of losing, breaking, or it getting stolen like mine did. I will probably drop it at about a year and change and try to upgrade early.

Yes luckily you got one that was not long after the phone came out. As time goes on, they will send out more and more refurbished droids. You most likely get just a new droid all together. It's similar to a new engine, if your car is new and it's a new engine design, if your engine explodes they give you a NEW engine, the longer time goes on, you get the re manufactured kinda :(

J

Johnly

I am glad you have your phone! Manufacture insurance don't cover theft, user error, water damage, yada yada...good for you being the smart chap and throwing down 20 something cents a day to protect your investment.

SEJ

Reaction score
droidhero, when did you first file your claim? My Droid suffered water damage on Thanksgiving and I filed a claim with Asurion last Friday. I've checked the Web site and/or called everyday since then (just got off the phone with them right now) and everytime I am told it's still on backorder. How long did you have to wait before you got it?

thelion

Reaction score
SEJ, most likely the backorder is just now clearing up so you (theoretically) should get one soon. However, backorders are often location determined which means the backorder in your area may still be in effect. Call and talk to a supervisor. Good luck. And keep this one AWAY from water :) They aren't swimmers...

OP
D

droidhero

Reaction score
SEJ

Yeah my theory and I haven't looked into this is that they have warehouses spread out all over in order to overnight phones like people need in plenty of time. I could be wrong. So maybe the Warehouse in your area is currently still waiting on the stock to trickle down.

I filed my claim on thursday night and got the whole backorder message. Even got a call friday morning it was still backordered. But being the compulsive person I am, I check the status online an hour or so after I received the call. And behold, they had a Droid and I was able to finish out my claim.

I would definitely hound them a little bit, Kill em with kindness. Maybe explain your confused on why still no stock and that you NEED a replacement.

SEJ

Reaction score
Droid still listed as out of stock on the Web site when I checked at about 8:45 this morning, then I called (expecting to ask for a supervisor) and was told that it was in-stock. So I should have my replacement Droid tomorrow.

Droydfan

Reaction score
droidhero, when did you first file your claim? My Droid suffered water damage on Thanksgiving and I filed a claim with Asurion last Friday. I've checked the Web site and/or called everyday since then (just got off the phone with them right now) and everytime I am told it's still on backorder. How long did you have to wait before you got it?
This exact scenario happened to me, same dates and everything. Still no change on the backorder status. Whats up with that, if you got yours?