Motorola Droid Stolen :( Security Problem

similarity

Reaction score
Hello all,

I just got my motorala droid stolen today and there were a couple hours between when it was found/stolen and when I suspended the phone. In those hours the person made about 20 calls and had access to the internet. My phone was clearly unlocked so they were able to use it immediately.

I already changed my gmail password but now what? Do they still have access to all of my information once they get internet on the phone again?
I know if they try to reactivate it at verizon it will be on the stolen list but what about other carriers? I'm worried about my personal information...

Anyone know of places to buy cheap or old verizon phones? I didn't have insurance (just got the phone 4 months ago) and now it's going to cost me $600 to even get a crappy phone with verizon's ridiculous retail prices. I'm so sad and appreciate any advice you might have.

Does finding out the serial number of the phone help at all?

mkthnx001

Reaction score
After you change your Gmail password, the person using your phone should be logged out of your account (not saying the contacts, etc., are erased; not sure on this).

As for another phone; try eBay, or Amazon.

J

Johnly

that sucks! The best security is to secure the device ; ) Update you profiles with new passwords, and you will be fine....

mkthnx001

Reaction score
Adding to my post above, I suggest that in the future you use an application like WaveSecure, in order to track your device via GPS. You can even remotely lock it, and add WaveSecure as a system application so it will survive factory resets (if you're rooted of course).

korp

Reaction score
After you change your Gmail password, the person using your phone should be logged out of your account (not saying the contacts, etc., are erased; not sure on this).

As for another phone; try eBay, or Amazon.
This ... and the retail prices are not outrageous nor is it because it's Verizon Wireless. When you buy a phone at the 2 year or even 1 year price, VZW is absorbing a lot of the cost up front so you don't have to.

You can find used blackberries for around $100-200 but you might have to shell out more if you want an Android phone since they are newer for the most part and won't have depreciated much unless they are banged up. Regular phones are going to be less but you are just going to have to look. Craigslist is another place ... but in all cases make sure the phone is not on the blacklist before you buy the phone.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Pick up Wave Secure on your replacement. Gives you the option to remotely lock your phone and/or remotely wipe the device.

If you leave GPS on it can also be used to track/locate your device.

Se7enLC

Reaction score
Pick up Wave Secure on your replacement. Gives you the option to remotely lock your phone and/or remotely wipe the device.

That sucks that you lost your phone. Not much can be done now - even if you change your gmail password, they have all your contacts, MMS, local email, etc.

For others reading this thread - always use at LEAST a pattern lock. That will at least stop a thief from getting your personal information. Unfortunately, it also makes it harder for an honest person to return your lost phone - so make sure you have your name and a different phone number on it somewhere so they can contact you to return it.

Also, I second (third?) the WaveSecure suggestion. If you have root, you can install it in /system and it will be able to turn on your GPS remotely to track even if you have it turned off. And it will survive a factory reset (/data and /cache). The only way to get rid of WaveSecure is to reboot recovery and flash a new ROM (now, if we only had a recovery console that had some kind of security in it...)

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

That sucks that you lost your phone. Not much can be done now - even if you change your gmail password, they have all your contacts, MMS, local email, etc.

For others reading this thread - always use at LEAST a pattern lock. That will at least stop a thief from getting your personal information. Unfortunately, it also makes it harder for an honest person to return your lost phone - so make sure you have your name and a different phone number on it somewhere so they can contact you to return it.

Also, I second (third?) the WaveSecure suggestion. If you have root, you can install it in /system and it will be able to turn on your GPS remotely to track even if you have it turned off. And it will survive a factory reset (/data and /cache). The only way to get rid of WaveSecure is to reboot recovery and flash a new ROM (now, if we only had a recovery console that had some kind of security in it...)

WaveSecure is only a 7-day free trial, according to the market.

there a .apk file of it i can download?

I don't want to use a lock pattern since i'm constantly on my phone and it would be a hassle. Download from market and move the main file to /system?

Se7enLC

Reaction score

I don't want to use a lock pattern since i'm constantly on my phone and it would be a hassle. Download from market and move the main file to /system?

yeah, it's only free for the early-adopters that got it a long time ago. Here's the update.zip right from the source, so you can install from that if you've got root.

http://www.wavesecure.com/installations/update.zip

Reaction score

WaveSecure is meant to be a 7-day free trial now, it used to be free while it was in beta, so sadly now you have to pay for it.

dtboos

Reaction score
Don't bother with WaveSecure. Just download Mobile Defense. Its free, you can track it, remote wipe it ect. This is the first app I install on any new Android device.

https://www.mobiledefense.com/

And of coarse its in the market.

~D

*edit* just saw they have temporarily closed the availability for new registration. Bummer. I'd sign up, and wait for invite. Its worth it.