Droid Discussions Over-Moderated

miss chris

Reaction score
This may not be the right place to bring this up, but here goes anyway! I am a long time reader of this forum and very infrequent contibutor. Part of the reason that I do not contribute often is that I ALWAYS search and search for my own answers before seeking help. I have little patience for those that refuse to search or even worse blatantly say that they do not have time to read x number of pages and could we just answer for them! I found time to read those pages, so if you want answers bad enough so can you! But, I digress. I have found recently that the search feature is not very helpful. Many of the terms I am searching are 3 letter words and the forum does not search for those as best I can see. I know on the forum that I administer it is set that way by design. However, here so many of the terms I have tried to search are three letters (rom, apk, led, etc.) and I am stuck trying to find what I need. Is there any way to address this? Seems that the easier and more effective teh search feature, the less that people will be redundant.

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
This may not be the right place to bring this up, but here goes anyway! I am a long time reader of this forum and very infrequent contibutor. Part of the reason that I do not contribute often is that I ALWAYS search and search for my own answers before seeking help. I have little patience for those that refuse to search or even worse blatantly say that they do not have time to read x number of pages and could we just answer for them! I found time to read those pages, so if you want answers bad enough so can you! But, I digress. I have found recently that the search feature is not very helpful. Many of the terms I am searching are 3 letter words and the forum does not search for those as best I can see. I know on the forum that I administer it is set that way by design. However, here so many of the terms I have tried to search are three letters (rom, apk, led, etc.) and I am stuck trying to find what I need. Is there any way to address this? Seems that the easier and more effective teh search feature, the less that people will be redundant.

When someone starts a new thread they are suppose to "tag" the thread so that it will come up in a key word search. But how often does this happen? Not often enough it seems.

The search would work much better if people would tag the threads. Now I know a lot of people do, but most don't. Hence an ineffective search thread.

We do understand your frustration. We'll see if there is something we can do to make the search more effective. And thank you for using the search first, it's much appreciated.

OP
C

cpinto

Reaction score
I think whatever the owners & moderators do is fine by me. I have no problems at all.

(hoping to score brownie points. Did I suck up enough?:D)

Now that was funny.

Good example is that this thread has already been moved to an area with very low visibilty.

I wanted this thread to reside where the problem was, but the moderators decided it would be better somewhere else.

Why not let it run its course for a day or two then move it?

Keep in mind new members post duplicate topics, because they hardly know where to begin with a problem.

Moderators, again, thanks for your hard work, but please keep this in mind.

Craig

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
Very informative thread. And thanks to the mods for contributing. As others have said, this is a superbly moderated forum in the face of intense demand from the greatest range of users in terms of expertise I've ever seen.

I'll make it a point to tag my posts if they contain anything I deem useful for others. Anything I can do to make "search" more productive I'm happy to do.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think whatever the owners & moderators do is fine by me. I have no problems at all.

Now that was funny.

Good example is that this thread has already been moved to an area with very low visibilty.

I wanted this thread to reside where the problem was, but the moderators decided it would be better somewhere else.

Keep in mind new members post duplicate topics, because they hardly know where to begin with a problem.

Craig

I moved it Craig. And I would have done so with anything else that was off topic. It's the Droid General Discussion Thread, not just an open topic forum. and I can appreciate that you wanted it to get notice but did you notice there was one person who requested it be moved off topic?

I wasn't trying to hide your topic or anything like that. Just doing what I'm basically instructed to do. Same thing goes with closing 2.1 threads. Miami told me to close them so I close them. But I leave a lot more open then you may realize. If I feel it has any value to it, basically something that hasn't been brought up about 2.1 I will let it alone.

I spend a lot of time making decisions like that. I may not always make the right ones, sometimes I may make a bad decision but I try to give every thread a good reading before I decide if I'm going to close it.

And you get brownie points just for understanding. I hope you do.

Have a great day.:)

miss chris

Reaction score

When someone starts a new thread they are suppose to "tag" the thread so that it will come up in a key word search. But how often does this happen? Not often enough it seems.

The search would work much better if people would tag the threads. Now I know a lot of people do, but most don't. Hence an ineffective search thread.

We do understand your frustration. We'll see if there is something we can do to make the search more effective. And thank you for using the search first, it's much appreciated.
Well, there you go! I did not know I was supposed to be tagging new threads! I will do so in the future so that if I decide to throw any more stones this time I will not be living in a glass house! :)

OP
C

cpinto

Reaction score

Now that was funny.

Craig

I moved it Craig. And I would have done so with anything else that was off topic. It's the Droid General Discussion Thread, not just an open topic forum. and I can appreciate that you wanted it to get notice but did you notice there was one person who requested it be moved off topic?

I wasn't trying to hide your topic or anything like that. Just doing what I'm basically instructed to do. Same thing goes with closing 2.1 threads. Miami told me to close them so I close them. But I leave a lot more open then you may realize. If I feel it has any value to it, basically something that hasn't been brought up about 2.1 I will let it alone.

I spend a lot of time making decisions like that. I may not always make the right ones, sometimes I may make a bad decision but I try to give every thread a good reading before I decide if I'm going to close it.

Hi Hookbill,

Thanks for the input. I most certainly do understand, but my main point was not to be too quick to move things. I know sometimes you have to, but give it some time at first. Believe me, it will help the future of this forum.

I really don't have a solution to my concern, but just use it as a suggestion.

As a moderator, it may clean things up for you, but for some of us it becomes more diffilcult to use.

If a new member and new user of a Droid posts a duplicate question, and suddenly the thread is closed with an explanation that "this question has already been asked", I can assure you that you have just lost a new member, and future viewer of your sponsorship.

I do understand that there can't be 20 of the same topics on why "2.1 is slow", but maybe the next time the moderators have a group pow-wow, this might be a good thing to discuss.

"How can we keep the subjects on the message board under control, but at the same time not disorient our new and seasoned members"

Just my thoughts. I know you are doing what you have been tasked to do, but my overall feeling is a little bit of over-moderation.

Thanks,

Craig

2001400ex

Reaction score

Now that was funny.

Craig

Honestly, I have been wanting to start one of these for a while. I did not when the mods changed the status on the last 2.1, let it run its course.

I hope the mods/admins are reading this thread (other than hook), and wish it would move back into general. I always view off topic forums (I monitor about 10 different forums for various things) as Droid users wanting to talk about how the Cavs are going to destroy the Lakers, or other things "off topic" depending on the forum.

Basically, every other forum I am a part of, issues are handled on the individual. This forum is unique in that there are over 1,000 viewing a forum topic, where most forums I watch are closer to 100. This is good and bad. Good in that answers are quick, and usually if someone posts something wrong, someone steps in and posts a link for the answers. This is bad in that things get crazy, quickly.

The point is, if someone is continually posting things they shouldn't, handle them with the person through PM/TOS. The last 2.1 thread as an example, the cycle went like this:
"I don't care if I am rooted"
"Well don't post here then"
"What does root mean?"
"Mod here, no talk of root"

So, we could eliminate at least one of those if the mod were to bite his/her tongue. And the others are part of the learning process. I would not have rooted, then gone back, if it weren't for those people that bragged up rooting. This is a learning process, where we are all here to learn from each other.

I also hate posts where people say "Who cares about that?" Those individuals should be reminded by mods to not post if you don't care. This is a free country, free fourm. If you don't like the topic, DO NOT READ IT! :)

In reality, this is a forum, where you want the most readers. Let people post, be a little more free, and handle the problems with particular individuals.

Those are my two cents, please feel free to bash!!!! :icon_eek:

P.S. I do appreciate you mods as this forum is massive and you keep it clean, just venting a little. LOL