Droid Discussions Over-Moderated

cpinto

Reaction score
Dear Moderators,

I really enjoy these discussions, and I feel you do a good job. I have moderated an airline forum for over 20 years, and I understand what a time consuming and thankless job it can be.

One thing that concerns me is the trap of over-moderating. Yes, we want things organized, and threads to stay on topic, but too much of this WILL destroy a forum.

The topic of update 2.1 has been a good example. I, and probably many others enjoy seeing new threads started. It makes it easier to find new thoughts. If you roll everything into a 300 page thread, many will not bother nor have the time to sift thru 1000's of posts.

I know you can subscribe or search for new posts, etc, but sometimes a new thread is better.

Again, overall nice job with this forum.

Craig

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
My only problem with the new 2.1 threads is finding 4 on the same issue that are all in the active topics. One thread might have the answer, but the other users are in the other threads with no clue...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
C

cpinto

Reaction score
My only problem with the new 2.1 threads is finding 4 on the same issue that are all in the active topics. One thread might have the answer, but the other users are in the other threads with no clue...

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

JK,

I have found with a high interest topic like 2.1, a few threads on the same topic works out OK. As long as it doesn't get out of control.

Now we are trying to force everyone to post all of their problems with 2.1, into a single thread.

I would rather see a separate discussion on each issue. This tends to promote different points of view quicker.

Don't get me wrong, I'll all for forum organization, but you have to let a forum flow on its own a little as well.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I, too, have moderated forums in the past and can attest that the OP is correct. It's a difficult and thankless job, especially when done by volunteers and when "guidelines" are just that: guidelines. And considering the technical nature of many discussions here, the number of participants, and the vast range of expertise represented by posters, I can only take off my hat to the job done by the mods here.

Having said that, however, I'd only suggest that the effort to drive all posts on a particular topic into a single thread is somewhat counterproductive. (And yes, I'm sure this isn't news to the mods.) It tends to produce immensely lengthy threads that only encourage posters to repeat the same questions over and over again. That, in turn, tends to lengthen the thread which compounds the original problem.

Of course, posters should use "search," but that seems either beyond the ability of many posters or they simply want someone else to do their homework. (I strongly suspect it's the latter in most cases.)

So here's a possible compromise (not knowing if it's technically possible given the forum software here.) When a big event (like the 2.1 update) comes along, how about creating a specific forum with a limited lifespan for all posts dealing with the topic? Then allow posters to start as many different threads as they care to dealing with the topic in that forum. If there are 40 threads dealing with the number of homescreens in the update, so be it. Just let the folks have at it in the "temporary" forum until the traffic dies down. At that point all the threads can be closed and the forum set to accept no further posts.

I have no idea if this would help, but while it might create a mass of additional threads, they could all be "dumped" into a single forum rather than forcing mods to decide if new threads should be combined with an existing massive thread.

My $.02.

Big Cam

Reaction score
Being a moderator of a car forum with over 100,000 members I see the moderators point of view as well though.

Seeing 16 threads clutter one forum all basically asking the same thing is really annoying and screws up search results for those who actually do search.

Not to say I don't see your point as well, but it's not hard to do a little reading. Everyone wants to just ask their question and get it answered immedietaly and then leave. Stay and read up before even making a new thread, that's the point of all this info being here.

cuskit

Reaction score
I'm also a Mod on an unrelated site, and will say that sometimes it's a thankless job. But overall the mass memberships do appreciate all the hard work, time, effort and dedication that Mods put into their titled job.

On a forum as large as this, and with a subject matter as intense as both the rollout issues with 2.1 as well as subsequent problems - I would suggest (as implied previously) that a 2.1 forum with sub-forums be created, with a sticky at the top of each strongly stating the content of each sub-forum be strictly adhered to. With the (hopeful) help of those posting, it might be easier to search through to find specific answers to questions this way. This merely follows the normal hierachy of a forum which has proved successful for the most part.

The most difficult part is trying to get posters to search before duplicating repititiuous questions. This falls squarely on the shoulders of the posters - it should not be loaded onto the Mods responsibility to constantly be moving and shuffling posts. Remember - these are not paid positions! :)

My two cents.. :) mikey

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Can we get a mod to move this to the off topic forum? ;) JK

smrivera80

Reaction score
I'm new to this board, but I absolutely agree that a special forum exclusively dedicated to the 2.1 release (or other major update or event) makes the most sense. Honestly, I tried reading the 2.1 thread, but was discouraged by it pretty quickly. Not because the information isn't great, but because there's just so much of it, and there's no good way to separate what's being discussed.

gloster

Reaction score
Count me in with the folks saying

1) thank you to the moderators for all their hard work

2) the forum would benefit from a little less moderation of duplicate posts / off topic posts

tabraha

Reaction score
I'm new to this board, but I absolutely agree that a special forum exclusively dedicated to the 2.1 release (or other major update or event) makes the most sense. Honestly, I tried reading the 2.1 thread, but because discouraged by it pretty quickly. Not because the information isn't great, but because there's just so much of it, and there's no good way to separate what's being discussed.

I agree as a new member here that I've also gotten the impression that it's at times a little over-moderated as well. Not in an iron fist way but the 2.1 threads would be a good example and the above post outlines my feelings well on that topic. One huge thread is not ideal. Responses are juggled amongst different issues and everything is co-mingled to the point of being useless. That in itself promotes new threads as the information may be in that thread but where exactly can be difficult at best. As you can tell while a newb here my experience in forums goes back "a long ways" to put it mildly. This is a great forum and the moderators do a good job policing it. No junk posts, OT threads etc.

I think one other implementation instead of coding in a sub-forum could have been to create an official 2.1 FAQ linking to helpful threads for the most common issues. It's still possible but a bit more difficult now that alot of people have posted useful info interspersed within 1 mega-thread covering everything from call quality to launcher compatibility to geotagging pictures, all at the same time. :icon_eek:

Reaction score
I dont think a sub forum for 2.1 will help. 2.1 topics get scattered accross 3 forums as it is. I think we just need a 2.1 faq, sticky it, someone asks a question thats answered in teh faq, link them the faq and close thread.

Flomaster

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
LOL any thread that is being started with HELP or 2.1 in the title or body should be put on hold and a BIG MESSAGE flashed up on the OP's screen saying " did you search first"

-=Jason=-

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
You would not believe just how many 2.1 threads would be here now, if we didn't do some pruning, well, maybe actually, alot of them. We were getting overwhelmed with 2.1 threads for a while, and had to implement ways to deal with them. What you see now has been the result of that.

Now that 2.1 Official has finally hit the pavement running. This could be an option. To make a strictly 2.1 STOCK VZW SubForum. It could be a possibility. One I can actually bring up to the team. Since we have to be able to MOD it, we need to find a way to make it work. Not be a free for all.

We do many modifications to the forum on member request. The long timers here know by now, we do listen to the membership. We can't act on all suggestions, but we do try.

One way the membership can help, is that if you know a thread will probably be closed, do not to contribute to it. Report it to us for action to be taken.

KevinJ

Reaction score
I think whatever the owners & moderators do is fine by me. I have no problems at all.

(hoping to score brownie points. Did I suck up enough?:D)

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
Just want to say this is the best and most friendly and helpful forum I've ever been involved with (at least 10 or so).

Well moderated.