Droid 4 OTA Update 6.13.219 - "Software update failed"

r314bd

Reaction score
Hey guys, I can't seem to update with today's OTA. It pauses at about 25% then reboots. I unfroze all my frozen bloatware, never deleted any system apps, and backed up my root with Voodoo so I'm not sure what could be causing the problem.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Turns out my build.prop file was the culprit (although I never actively made any changes to that file so I'm not sure why/how that happened.) I replaced it with a stock build.prop file then fixed the permissions using Root Explorer and then the update succeeded.

Last edited:

shaggykid

Reaction score
I've seen so many people having issies taking the ota in a DROID 4 I believe it's a common problem. But know you do not need to unroot.

That just seems to cause more issues.

Other than that maybe someone with more experience in the DROID 4 can point him.in the right direction for getting the update

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

mfendley

Reaction score
I don't think it is necessary to unroot to receive the OTA. I believe you can root by the same method after the update, if you want to unroot in order to get the OTA.

rhighfil

Reaction score
I'm having the same trouble.. I have root, and the update fails at about 25%.. I dunno what the deal is, but I'd just like it to stop reminding me about the update every hour!

Last edited:

core2kid

Reaction score
Same issue here. I have safestrap installed with ICS and the stock ROM. I've deleted a lot of default Verizon apps. Any of you have safestrap installed?

TeeKay1

Reaction score
Using Root Explorer, isn't there a way to edit something to prevent future updates and to trick your phone that it's always updated. I did it for my D1, but not sure about D4 nor rooted it yet.

rhighfil

Reaction score
Same issue here. I have safestrap installed with ICS and the stock ROM. I've deleted a lot of default Verizon apps. Any of you have safestrap installed?
Yep, got safestrap 1.09 from "Hash of Codes". I did try uninstalling it, and installing the update though, and no workie.
I also tried re-installing most all the crap stock programs, except very few, like some of the blursocial networking, and the google music, and books- and retrying the update.

core2kid

Reaction score
Anybody try restoring their phone to stock and trying? Doesn't the restore to factory option in settings bring the phone back to the day you bought it because it uses a stock ROM image?

Cegal

Reaction score
You shouldn't be deleting any of the bloatware...either freezing with titanium backup or just flash a de bloated rom to your safe system. As for the OTA, its not 4.0 so who cares about it?

Sent from my XT894 using DroidForums

thoalex

Reaction score
Can't update either.. tried lots of things..

Lord.. must everything be difficult?

I want to load the new OTA (to answer someone's question if it gets me some more battery life I'm all for it). Here's what I've done so far:

Rooted Device
Used linksd

Then the OTA came and I tried to load it and it wouldn't load.

Unrooted Device

Wouldn't load

Factory Reset (wanted to do that anyway)

Wouldn't load

At this point I started looking around for the Stock Apps and I found them. But, I really don't think I deleted any of them. But, I used Root Explorer to copy them into /System/Apps. (I had to mount the /System drive rw and then make /System/Apps rw) I didn't replace any of the Apps though, I just let it put ones that weren't there back (in case I DID delete one and I forgot). Well, after that was done I went down through there and I didn't see any of the permissions being wrong (which makes me think that none of the apps were deleted. I then made /System/Apps ro and mounted the /System drive as ro.

Wouldn't load

Rebooted the Phone

Wouldn't load

I'm about ready to just say screw it and root the thing and put ICS on there as Motorola is dragging their feet on ICS (probably because of some marketing/sales BS). But, I'd really rather not do that. So, does anyone have any other ideas? The only other idea I have is to replace all the Stock Apps with the versions I've found. I know that some of the apps have been "upgraded" so that might be the cause and bringing them back down to their original versions might fix it. But, I'm really at a loss as to what to do next.

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
If you apply the update via stock recovery (power off then power on holding vol up and vol down at the same time) it will give you an error where the update is failing. Foe example mine was giving me an "error sideload build.prop/bunchofnumbers, bunchofnumbers." Thanks to rumgool on xda for posting an unmodified version of stock build.prop and once i replaced mine with it the update went flawlessly. Apparently any modifications can cause an update error.
The only thing i changed was my dns settings and dalvik heap size.
I will post the stock unmodified build.prop.
Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk

OP
r314bd

r314bd

Reaction score
Thank you! The build.prop file was the culprit for me as well. Replaced it and the update worked like a charm :)

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
Glad it helped. I am positive this is what is giving alot of people a headache. I made a copy of my unmodified .219 build.prop in case i have issues with updates in the future.
On a side note i noticed that the new one is .3kb larger than the old one. I will have to compare the 2 at some point and see what was changed. This was definitely an odd error for updating as i have modified my build.prop on both a d2g and bionic and never encountered this before.

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk