Problems with OTA update (ICS)

mhzero21xx

Reaction score
I have been trying to update my phone all day with the new OTA one. I have a phone that is only rooted - no safestrap or custom roms whatsoever. I had frozen the Smart Actions app before, but thawed it out before trying the first time. I have yet to have any success in updating - the phone restarts, the unpacking droid icon pops up with a progress bar, 1/4 into it the picture changes to a ! inside a triangle and the phone boots up, telling me the update failed. I have tried to do it without root (with the rootkeeper app) and with it.

I cannot figure out what exactly is going on - I made sure to keep my phone as stock as possible for the ICS update.

battlecanary

Reaction score
I've had the same issue getting the update to install today. For me I unrooted several weeks ago and did a factory reset. Never used any recovery stuff or safestrap. Still the install is failing the same way despite having a fresh, unrooted install, so I'm wondering if something gets modified somewhere simply doing a root that is detectable, but that would be odd since usually updates just kill root and are fine. Used motofail within droid 4 utility to do the root and unroot.

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
Exactly what error are you getting? I would just fastboot gingerbread 219 then have the phone download the OTA and installs it.

battlecanary

Reaction score
Oh, forgot to mention that reflashing a stock rom throws off getting the update until the moto guys can re add you to the list. Hence, would be nice to figure it out without relashing and screwing it up.

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
You can still be rooted and get the update, so unrooting or having had root is of no consequence. What is the exact error you are getting?

battlecanary

Reaction score
As for an error, it gets as far as downloading, rebooting, and giving a progress bar on the update actually installing, and when it gets to 1/4 of the way the phone reboots. When it comes back up it's still 2.3.6 and a pop ups comes up that says "update failed to install."

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
Somehow something on your system is not stock, that's why OTAs fail to update. Did it give a specific error? Yours won't have the same exact error but something that looks like this:

Installing update...
Verifying current system...
assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/bin/logwrapper", "4a63fec78956def045b442910a754fa640db8f5a", "16ec2444c44c8e2a73a969cb49834d6f6fe229d7")
E:Error in /cache/Blur_Version.6.12.181.XT912.Verizon.en.US.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

battlecanary

Reaction score
Thanks choochoo, I'll check in a bit when I get back home and can get the juice to try it again and let you know.

OP
M

mhzero21xx

Reaction score
I have not seen it give me an error message at any point besides "update failed!".

I probably will have to restore to factory, just hate setting up my phone just right again :(

bdsullivan76

Reaction score
If the slightest thing has been changed all the way down to a small change to your build.prop.
Usually the only way to fix this is too do a fxz.

Sent from my DROID4

orangechoochoo

Reaction score
I know it's a PITA to fastboot 219, but it does resolve most of all the update failures. Just take a look at the Razr forums, a lot of people had update problems until they fastbooted gingerbread which gave them a pristine system to update from.

OP
M

mhzero21xx

Reaction score
How do I get to the bootloader menu? When I try to hold down the vol up, down, and power all I get is the phone getting turned off until I let go of the power button, where it starts booting up.

EDIT: ignore that, I got it

EDIT AGAIN: Just got back up after everything was reset, phone is not letting me update though. I am hoping it will come in the next hour or so.

Last edited: