Droid 2 global d2g GINGERBREAD DEFINITELY COMING!

EOK1335

Reaction score
sounds like still a few months to wait if theres nothing like a leak happens...but at lease several month later is better than never lol.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL

gsdreams

Reaction score
Honestly, with the Droid X getting the update right now I would suspect the Droid 2 series to get the update sometime around mid-june (don't quote me on that though).

The Droid Pro will probably be the last to get the update because it has been out the shortest amount of time.

I could also see the R2D2 droid getting it late as well due to theme customizations, etc... that are stock on the original phone.

Asphyx

Reaction score
Well considering how long it has been since the DX Leak and the DX Release (Starts Friday apparently) I suspect it may still be at least a month or two before the D2G gets it's Gingerbread.

And I would bet we see a leak before it goes official so I'm sure not expecting to see D2G gingerbread anytime soon. At least not right around the corner, Month at least.

gsdreams

Reaction score
The Droid 2 Global is much like the D2. Changing the rom to fit the D2G shouldn't require much and most of the testing on the D2 should carry over.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

clouse2013

Reaction score
The Droid 2 Global is much like the D2. Changing the rom to fit the D2G shouldn't require much and most of the testing on the D2 should carry over.

actually it will take a lot. The radio bands are different since we are global and a lot of apps are tied into that so it will be much more difficult. If it was so easy why do you think we havent got a fully functional liberty yet? its because its not. Sorry to burst your bubble but it will be a while

gsdreams

Reaction score

actually it will take a lot. The radio bands are different since we are global and a lot of apps are tied into that so it will be much more difficult. If it was so easy why do you think we havent got a fully functional liberty yet? its because its not. Sorry to burst your bubble but it will be a while

I seem to remember people running D2 roms on the D2G. Yes the radios are different because it includes gsm, but I doubt that affects the apps that much.

gunz.jones

Reaction score
The d2g roms ported from d2 are using the d2g kernel still....there isn't a d2g gb kernel to use for base....so it isn't just a normal porting issue. Linux is a ***** on embedded devices when it comes down to things like that.

Sent from a D2G Dark Angel

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'll believe it when I see it. I am happy that it's finally official though. At least until then i can enjoy my liberated d2. Also, no root for the update as of yet (so i hear), but it's obviously not far off.

From my Liberated DROID2 at 1.25ghz

clouse2013

Reaction score

I seem to remember people running D2 roms on the D2G. Yes the radios are different because it includes gsm, but I doubt that affects the apps that much.

it wont affect apps that much im sure. thats not the issue tho. And those D2 roms running on the D2G werent fully functional therefore proving my point

Gasai Yuno

Reaction score
The radio bands are different since we are global and a lot of apps are tied into that so it will be much more difficult.
Excuse me, but have you heard of something called “abstraction layers”?

To put it simply, not even a single application besides the ones responsible for system configuration and transceiver data exchange/control is “tied” to the fact that the phone has global capabilities.

The dialer talks to the API. The browser talks to the API. Everything that is not the kernel or the base system talks to the API.

There is no difference for the applications if the phone is on CDMA, GSM, UMTS, EDGE, or HSPA. All that matters is that the API provides generic interfaces for data and voice communications.

OP
Bense

Bense

Reaction score
application program interface. mfc, qt, gtk+, etc.

Are you guys actually arguing about what you all think is difficult or not for the official motorola development team?

Here's one for ya. That team has access to all the proprietary knowledge articles and tools that we do not. They also have years of programming experience and aren't made up of a bunch of 18 year old dolts that think they're programmers cuz they can change a few files around in a rom and release some busted ass ****ty rom.

there's nothing really to write. it's a minor bump in kernels. i don't even get what the big deal is. well, i'll tell you what the big deal is, all that blur **** for them. they have to test it and debug. i highly doubt that getting the drivers for the radios working are what's holding the team back.

ExodusC

Reaction score
I have to agree with the notion that MotoBLUR likely being the biggest factor in causing updates to take FOREVER to trickle down to other devices. How long does it take for third party devs to port stable and function ROMs to phones like the Droid? With an unlocked bootloader, not very.

Personally, I hate Sense, I hate BLUR, and I hate Touchwiz. Rather than add these UI layers (some of which admittedly have a few nice tweaks), why not pressure Google to integrate more features into the default Android user interface?

Sent from my Droid 2 Global running Fission using the DroidForums app.

gunz.jones

Reaction score
My response was more related to user porting than moto or google in response to a previous post. I don't doubt the moto team is capable and they are probably not just sitting on their hands, but they couldn't get froyo right to start on d2g even with a patch or two. Albeit, small problems, but am issue all the same.

Sent from a D2G Dark Angel

hgrimberg

Reaction score
Did some of you travel outside the US with your "Global" phone? Well, if you do, you'll realize that this phone is not really global. As it currently is, with the baseband firmware that comes on the stock rom, the phone has terrible reception issues when in GSM mode with a foreign sim card. The phone was advertised as "global" and it came with a Vodaphone sim card already inserted in case you wanted to travel to Europe. Well, 50% of the time phone calls go directly to voicemail because there was no signal at that moment. So, how will you call this? A scam? Yes, a scam is what Motorola/Verizon did to us. They sold us a phone that was supposedly "global" when it is not. The phone is simply not reliable as a phone outside the US. This problem has been reported from many countries.
So, are they fixing this GSM reception issue? Is this the reason of them taking so long to release the new update? Maybe... I hope this is what is taking them so long, and I hope they better fix it.