Droid 2 global d2g GINGERBREAD DEFINITELY COMING!

hgrimberg

Reaction score
It is posted on their forums and they are certainly aware of it but in their typical fashion very quiet (as in no answers by the moto forum mods) https://supportforums.motorola.com/thread/47030?tstart=0 among other posts. Personally I would be happy with just a baseband update to fix these problems soon and I really dont care about GB

I was one of the participants of that discussion thread in the Motorola forum but i am not sure if someone from Motorola read it and if they are aware of this issue. My fear is that maybe they are not.
I not only complained about this issue but also I sent them 2 emails telling them about this. Thefirst one was responded saying I had to use the US Motorola website when I was in fact using it and the 2nd one was never responded.
So, are they aware?

The other thing is that the Milestone 2 that uses the American 3G bands which is manufactured in Tierra del Fuego, Argentina, doesn't have any problems in terms of GSM signal reception. The phone is exactly the same as the Droid 2 global, only the radio is different. Why can't they just use that radio and somehow adapt it???

CStreible

Reaction score
If people will tell me that they actually have a problem with GSM using the included SIM then I will listen. The original post said "foriegn sims" and what I have read is all about using it with sims other than the included one.

Which means there is no grounds for a lawsuit because niether motorola nor verizon support or guarantee it will work with anything but verizons equipment

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

Here I am, I have problems with the vodaphone sim card, using the global email feature from verizon. I have a weak signal in places where I used to have a superb signal with a blackberry storm, running the same sim card. If I am traveling by car overseas, I lose this crappy signal frequently, and have large areas of no coverage, prompting the int'l roaming warning message incessantly. These large areas of no signal still had a decent signal with my BB. In some places I have a few bars, but the data connection will not establish itself. There was another thread discussing this, I am not the only one. If GB does not fix this, I am calling and notifying them I want the global data plan back on my BB (which they will claim I can't do, since I am grandfathered on the 'other' smartphone plan, but can't switch off it to get unlimited global BIS). If they won't let me reactivate my BB with the plan, I am paying my ETF and they can stuff the whole thing, I've had enough of not being able to use my "global" phone overseas in major cities, and I refuse to give up my data plan to go back to BB and have to pay $21 / MB.

I can't comment on overseas experiences except in China. It has taken me a few months, but i'm quite happy now with the bits and pieces i've scraped together for service and affordability.

For starters, I got a sim card from China Mobile. I prepay maybe the equivalent of $30 US and i'll have voice, text and data for at least a few months. Finding the right plan is key.

For me, I sort of stumbled upon using 2G instead of 3G solution when i'm away from home or work. If i'm out and about, the speed and service is perfectly acceptable. When i'm home or at work, i'm using wifi anyway, so the "data plan" isn't needed there.

Speaking of the "data plan" - china mobile charges about 15 cents per MB for their 2G service, so I'd rather pay and use this than vzw's outrageous $24/MB any day. However, china mobile has several tiered usage plans, all the way up to 5GB per month for 200 RMB (about $30)...ummm, yes I'll take 5GB instead of only 1MB for about the same price, please.

Actually, since I don't use much 2G I dropped down to under 100 MB per month, thanks to wifi. Service is dirt cheap, I can do all the stuff that's really important, and get down to the business of working in china without my phone being a constant source of annoyance.

Sometimes, you have to explore your options and make acceptable trade-offs. In my case, I thought I HAD to have 3G, but found I can live without.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

The Robot Cow

Reaction score
If i'm not mistaken the Droid Pro is a global phone like the Droid 2 Global right?
Now shouldn't that mean that the update is close for us?

rusty815

Reaction score
Wow, I can't believe the pro is getting gingerbread before d2g does, i hope this means the update is near for us

gsdreams

Reaction score
Wow, I can't believe the pro is getting gingerbread before d2g does, i hope this means the update is near for us

There had been no formal announcement regarding the droid pro gb release date and the range for the d2g. Either one could come first.

rusty815

Reaction score

There had been no formal announcement regarding the droid pro gb release date and the range for the d2g. Either one could come first.

Read p3droids Twitter, they're releasing the pro gingerbread update today but haven't updated us on d2g status

gsdreams

Reaction score

Read p3droids Twitter, they're releasing the pro gingerbread update today but haven't updated us on d2g status

I've been out sick from a work so I can't verify. If it is coming out for the pro then I suspect the d2 and d2g aren't far behind I suspect.

rusty815

Reaction score
its a leak that is released by tbh, not the official gingerbread update, the x already got the official update and the d2 has had a leak for as long as the x has, the pro and d2g were all thats left, and now the pro is getting a gingerbread leak, the d2g doesnt seem to have one in sight.

gsdreams

Reaction score
its a leak that is released by tbh, not the official gingerbread update, the x already got the official update and the d2 has had a leak for as long as the x has, the pro and d2g were all thats left, and now the pro is getting a gingerbread leak, the d2g doesnt seem to have one in sight.

Motorola forums almost a month ago had pics etc... Of the d2g gb release and I believe a leak is running around just hard to find.

rusty815

Reaction score

Motorola forums almost a month ago had pics etc... Of the d2g gb release and I believe a leak is running around just hard to find.

i know of that pic, i was one of the first to comment on it when it surfaced, thats a pic of a testing unit for motorola, not a consumer phone that someone installed a leak onto, we still dont have a leak and theres no word from tbh that they will ever release one, so we are most likely going to be stuck waiting for the official gingerbread to come out at the end of Q3 while everyone else has gingerbread to play with.

bikedude880

Reaction score
uhm... Please? An update in any form is welcome.

Sent from my White DROID 2 GLOBAL.

rusty815

Reaction score
uhm... Please? An update in any form is welcome.

Sent from my White DROID 2 GLOBAL.

Like I said before, were probably going to have to wait until the end of q3 to get gingerbread, it sucks that the d2g gets neglected

ldopa

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm on a d2 and we as well have to wait until the end of the 3rd quarter. It sucks, looks like I'm looking at the leak. Its good that you d2g cats have one too

From my Liberated DROID2 at 1.25ghz

rusty815

Reaction score
I'm on a d2 and we as well have to wait until the end of the 3rd quarter. It sucks, looks like I'm looking at the leak. Its good that you d2g cats have one too

From my Liberated DROID2 at 1.25ghz

The d2g doesn't have a leak, we probably won't get one...