[Rumor] Droid 2, Droid Pro, and Droid X to Get Gingerbread

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
droids-gingerbread.png

Apparently, one of Motorola's developers in the support forums indicated recently that several older Droid phones may seen be getting Gingerbread. The specific phones mentioned were the Droid 2 (and its Global counterpart), the Droid Pro, and the Droid X. No word yet on when that may happen, but you can bet that if it was in Moto's support forums that it will be fairly soon. We'll keep an eye out for it.

Source: Motorola Support Forums via AndroidCentral

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
...Not official release or mention of Droid 1? Doesn't really matter since Pete has made a great Gingerbread ROM I just think if he could get his hands on an official release it make things easier for him.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
No word on when it will happen? Just a few posts later a Motorola rep says by the end of Q2 or sooner for the X and by the end of Q3 or sooner for the Pro, Droid 2, and D2G. It's not exact dates, but it definitely is a time frame on when they anticipate things to happen.

DroidBurgundy

Reaction score
I am more concerned with a 2.3.4 security fix than a Verizon blessed GB release, the leaks and the roms built form them are more than adequate for use at the moment.

jayman350

Reaction score
...Not official release or mention of Droid 1? Doesn't really matter since Pete has made a great Gingerbread ROM I just think if he could get his hands on an official release it make things easier for him.

Never gonna happen.

The OG DROID just doesn't have the hardware to support GB. Sure you can use GB on it, just not very effectively. I tried a few GB ROMs and it was just too much of a hassle to get it running smoothly, and multitasking was pretty much nonexistent. Froyo is the way to go for the DROID.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Never gonna happen.

The OG DROID just doesn't have the hardware to support GB. Sure you can use GB on it, just not very effectively. I tried a few GB ROMs and it was just too much of a hassle to get it running smoothly, and multitasking was pretty much nonexistent. Froyo is the way to go for the DROID.

Not exactly true. Specs said the processor had to be larger but since they can rum GB ROMs on it then Gingerbread would work on D1 IF they were going to upgrade it. However I doubt that will happen.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
Never gonna happen.

Not exactly true. Specs said the processor had to be larger but since they can rum GB ROMs on it then Gingerbread would work on D1 IF they were going to upgrade it. However I doubt that will happen.

The processor is not the reason gingerbread is being held back on the og droid, it's the pathetic amount of ram on this first gen device.