Droid 2 global d2g GINGERBREAD DEFINITELY COMING!

Byakushiki

Reaction score
On another note, we do have a (somewhat buggy, but awesome) CM in the works. In a way, we have it already:laugh:. If verizon decides to screw us over in terms of bootloader, we'll still have CM at any rate.
Better remember to do a system dump of 2.3.3 OTA when I get the chance...

MrHatchi87

Reaction score
do my eyes mislead me?! does that say CM? as in Cyanogen? lol i hope so! ive been wanting to run CM for a bit

Byakushiki

Reaction score
I kid you not, Bikedude has compiled a working build of it for D2G, running via 2nd-init. (I really have no clue what 2nd-init is exactly)
Him and a few others, 13th Angel among them, are building it from ground up. It boots too, with a couple if major bugs. But if it boots, it can be fixed.
There's an image in this thread.
Scroll down a bit.:)
The main dev thread is here.

Asphyx

Reaction score
I kid you not, Bikedude has compiled a working build of it for D2G, running via 2nd-init. (I really have no clue what 2nd-init is exactly)
Him and a few others, 13th Angel among them, are building it from ground up. It boots too, with a couple if major bugs. But if it boots, it can be fixed.
There's an image in this thread.
Scroll down a bit.:)
The main dev thread is here.

So true Byak!
I won't care about any new OTAs once Biker and 13th get CM running and official on the D2G!

That said I do think some of the files in the OTA (whenever and if it happens) will solve all the porting issues in CM.

I'm sure the D2 and DX officials helped a bit in getting CM7 up and running on those units.

Byakushiki

Reaction score
That is exactly why I'll be attempting to get a system dump up of my D2G once soak or OTA is up, since the missing files are there.

Asphyx

Reaction score
That is exactly why I'll be attempting to get a system dump up of my D2G once soak or OTA is up, since the missing files are there.

LOL You and I are anxiously awaiting a release we have no intentions of ever running so we can use it make the one we do want!

Once this phone is Cyanogenized I could care less about the OTAs and what Moto does with the exception of an unlock.

gthotie5

Reaction score
Wouldn't we need Gingerbread to have CM7?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Byakushiki

Reaction score
No, not exactly. CM is already gingerbread, it's just the problem of getting it onto the D2Global, and making all the bells and whistles work. It's similar to a degree, to how it's run onto a Droid 1. 2nd-init has CM running, if I recall right, on a 2.2 froyo kernel. Similar to a D1, which lacks a custom made kernel for 2.3. The D1 also uses a froyo kernel to run CM. I have my D1 beside my D2G, and both kernel versions are 2.6.32.9. My D1 runs CM7. I moved up from 2.2.2 directly to 2.3.3.
All we're missing here is a few key components to streamline the whole gig.

clouse2013

Reaction score
No, not exactly. CM is already gingerbread, it's just the problem of getting it onto the D2Global, and making all the bells and whistles work. It's similar to a degree, to how it's run onto a Droid 1. 2nd-init has CM running, if I recall right, on a 2.2 froyo kernel. Similar to a D1, which lacks a custom made kernel for 2.3. The D1 also uses a froyo kernel to run CM. I have my D1 beside my D2G, and both kernel versions are 2.6.32.9. My D1 runs CM7. I moved up from 2.2.2 directly to 2.3.3.

But don't we need the d2g version of gingerbred to make cm fully functional?

rusty815

Reaction score

nope, like he said, you can have CM run on any kernel, the D1 runs on froyo kernel and is absolutely rock solid, like my friends hero with CM.

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Im curious as to how well a htc hero actually runs in the first place bahahaha.....but no, really....

We need aliasxerog(is that his name...no I forgot it!!!) to build a custom kernel for us....

Asphyx

Reaction score

The Devs porting CM7 need it but not the users. In fact any users who manage to get the GB OTA update will have to SBF back to Froyo before they can install CM7.

So Basically yes it is probably needed to port CM7 (to get some GB drivers) but not needed (and must be undone) to run it.

Even a leaked version of D2G GB would be enough to get the porting finished. Which is what I expect to see before anyone sees a soaktest.

ben7337

Reaction score

The Devs porting CM7 need it but not the users. In fact any users who manage to get the GB OTA update will have to SBF back to Froyo before they can install CM7.

So Basically yes it is probably needed to port CM7 (to get some GB drivers) but not needed (and must be undone) to run it.

Even a leaked version of D2G GB would be enough to get the porting finished. Which is what I expect to see before anyone sees a soaktest.

So will CM7 be able to use the kernel and other things added by 2.3? or since we need to be on 2.2 to install it, will it use the 2.2 kernel and just look like 2.3? I suppose if 2.3 has an unlockable bootloader through some chance then we can do whatever and be free, since there would be no more signing kernels to install without bricking.

Asphyx

Reaction score
So will CM7 be able to use the kernel and other things added by 2.3? or since we need to be on 2.2 to install it, will it use the 2.2 kernel and just look like 2.3? I suppose if 2.3 has an unlockable bootloader through some chance then we can do whatever and be free, since there would be no more signing kernels to install without bricking.

No it does not use the new GB Kernel. It uses a Froyo Kernal to get CM7 to work.
Not sure exactly what the 2nd Init thing is I'm still researching, it may be they boot up in Froyo Kernel and then 2nd Init to a custom kernel of CM. But I would be guessing at best on if thats even close to reality!

Most of the extras in the OTA are just Gingerbread so you will get way more features from CM7 than you will from the OTA. It is pure GB where the OTA is going to be GB with Blur flavoring (and crapware!)

What is needed are the GB hardware drivers for the D2G which would be in the OTA update. Just about everything else is useless to running CM.
CM already has it plus tons more!

Byakushiki

Reaction score
2nd init lets us reinitialize a custom init process with custom binary and rc script.
Translation lol: it starts the init instance a second time, the first one frozen, and the second doing the job. 2nd init changes how a new init is called and injects code to restart the 1st init-but into a different program. If really simply put, another hijack, which circumvents the locked bootloader issue. (You can customise the whole system partition)
It needs to be combined with something called sh hijack, a hijack to run a custom program for a script that calls /system/bin/sh; the script itself occurs in an early stage, which is init as well. This from what I understood from linux manual and a brief look at what 2nd init is.

Sent from somewhere in a strangereal world...