Droid 2 Global Battery Life

ExodusC

Reaction score
I am about to pull the trigger on the extended battery + back (I assume I need to buy that separately).

A question though, I am still unsure if it will really get me through the day/night.

I am at 60% battery as of now (1:01pm), and I took this thing off the charger at 8:30. Used 20 minutes of talk, a few texts, 5 minutes of GPS, and here I am at 60%. Had the phone since Monday and the damn thing is sporadic with keeping charge.

I have BW Weather as a forecast, minimal weather widget, and facebook updating every THREE hours. Battery life shouldn't be this bad.

Will this battery get me through the day/night? I am a grad student and will be needing this phone to stay alive for at least 12-18 hour stints, so I would like to know my battery can stay out with me...

I am on Fission ROM and I have it underclocked to 1Ghz, and once battery hits 50% it goes to 600Mhz. With the screen off, 300Mhz.

Thanks guys!
Out of curiosity, did you get better battery life on the stock ROM?

Many people with battery life issues seem to be running Fission. I don't want to go back to the stock ROM to test it, though.

I still don't see how people can get 24 hours of light usage out of the standard battery. When mine is idling, it sucks down battery-- 14 hours of running idle resulted in me having 20% battery.

Reaction score
I didn't run the stock ROM very long... I'd say a day. I did notice it burned through my battery with very minimal usage in about 5-6 hours though... take that for what its worth.

I just had to switch ASAP, I never realized how awful Blur was from reading about it, but once I experienced it, I knew it had to go.

ExodusC

Reaction score
I didn't run the stock ROM very long... I'd say a day. I did notice it burned through my battery with very minimal usage in about 5-6 hours though... take that for what its worth.

I just had to switch ASAP, I never realized how awful Blur was from reading about it, but once I experienced it, I knew it had to go.
That's the same problem I had; I absolutely hated Blur and ran the stock ROM for less than a day.

I'm curious to see what kind of battery life difference there is between stock and Fission...

If I can get crazy battery life like people apparently do, I'll switch back to stock, until the problems with Fission are fixed (if there are any, since I don't think anyone has really tested it).

Reaction score
Where are you guys getting the battery? I looked @ Amazon and I can get the battery fand door for roughly $40-42 (blue battery door). Anywhere else I can get it cheaper :)

ExodusC

Reaction score
I purchased mine directly from Verizon's website, as I've heard it comes with the battery door. I want as little hassle as possible at this point.

I'm really looking forward to getting it, as I think I'll then get reasonable battery life.

Sent from my Droid 2 Global using the DroidForums App.

TwoBuells

Reaction score
First day at work with the D2G. Listening to MP3's of the Howard Stern Show for 10 hours via Bluetooth speaker, 30 mins of surfing web, a few calls/txt msgs, Phone on for 12 hours on extended battery went from 100% to 50%

Edit/Update: the end of the first week with extended battery, same usage, the last two days 13 hours, went from 100% to 60%

With my Droid 1 standard battery same usage I'd get 9 to 10 hours on battery 100% to 20%, and most days I'd change to my second standard battery.......

both phones were/are rooted
D1 Chevy01 SS rom 1.0 low V kernel
D2G Fission rom

Edit/update....

speltrong

Reaction score
Just got 26 hours on a charge (100%->15%) for the stock battery :D. Minimal usage - 20min of phone calls, few texts, some Facebook, poking around in the market, etc. Phone Idle, Cell standby, Android System and Display ate up ~70% of the battery according to Battery Manager.

Rooted, ran the bloatware removal script, added Battery Manager back in manually, very minimal LauncherPro Plus homescreen with SimiClock and one SimiFolder. Used Autokiller with the Optimum preset (40/50/60). Battery Manager is set to Nighttime Saver. Push/BT/Wifi/GPS are all off and Brightness is set to 25%.

Big step up from the out-of-the-box setup where I was seeing 8 hours of standby with no usage at all, 4 hours of battery with one 15 min call and some FB. Don't see a need to get an extended battery with my current usage pattern.

Last edited:

BigJermZ

Reaction score
When u guys bought the extended battery how did u do the initial charge?
I cant get much out of this battery and im considering buying the extended battery.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL STOCK using DroidForums App

K20turbo

Reaction score
Just got 26 hours on a charge (100%->15%) for the stock battery :D. Minimal usage - 20min of phone calls, few texts, some Facebook, poking around in the market, etc. Phone Idle, Cell standby, Android System and Display ate up ~70% of the battery according to Battery Manager.

Rooted, ran the bloatware removal script, added Battery Manager back in manually, very minimal LauncherPro Plus homescreen with SimiClock and one SimiFolder. Used Autokiller with the Optimum preset (40/50/60). Battery Manager is set to Nighttime Saver. Push/BT/Wifi/GPS are all off and Brightness is set to 25%.

Big step up from the out-of-the-box setup where I was seeing 8 hours of standby with no usage at all, 4 hours of battery with one 15 min call and some FB. Don't see a need to get an extended battery with my current usage pattern.

i dont know how you see 8 hours stanby time with nothing at all however if i charge my phone fullat 8pm and wake up at 7;30ish I see a maxiumof 90% battery life left and im on stock rom unrooted.

speltrong

Reaction score

i dont know how you see 8 hours stanby time with nothing at all however if i charge my phone fullat 8pm and wake up at 7;30ish I see a maxiumof 90% battery life left and im on stock rom unrooted.

The Battery Manager defaults to Nighttime Saver mode. If you have it set to that, it doesn't matter what you have on the phone, it pretty much shuts down data, cell and everything else during the night. I'm talking about having 100% after disconnecting from the wall at 10:00am and 15% battery at 4:00pm with minimal usage when everything was stock.

After I took all the steps I mentioned above, I now have 90% at 10:00am after being on all night and 60-70% at 4:00pm with the same usage patterns.

McMasterXX

Reaction score
Good info so far...but still very nervous...

Ok, so lots of useful info in this thread! I have the short battery life like everyone else. I want to get great battery life, and want to try some of this stuff...but not really sure where to start. I really dont want to turn this thing into a brick. I really dont know anything about "rooting" or what that even means??

My wife has the D2, and we got hers on debut day. she has had no issues with hers, and goes much longer than mine, and she is always on it! I keep mine in airplane mode at work (7a-3p) and still have to charge every night.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for a starting point?

Thanks

LGOP

Reaction score
I put the new battery in and let it run all the way down until dead then charged it.

When u guys bought the extended battery how did u do the initial charge?
I cant get much out of this battery and im considering buying the extended battery.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL STOCK using DroidForums App

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

Reaction score
Guys, just FYI, my battery was at almost 10 hours unplugged and at 90% this morning when I woke up. I know it's not a fair use comparison, because I was asleep, but i know 10 hours standby is more than some people were seeing out of their whole battery. This is on the stock ROM, rooted, with SetCPU and Titanium Backup.

ExodusC

Reaction score
Guys, just FYI, my battery was at almost 10 hours unplugged and at 90% this morning when I woke up. I know it's not a fair use comparison, because I was asleep, but i know 10 hours standby is more than some people were seeing out of their whole battery. This is on the stock ROM, rooted, with SetCPU and Titanium Backup.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe Fission has something to do with things. I may back up and go to the rooted stock ROM and see.

Sent from my Droid 2 Global using the DroidForums App.

speltrong

Reaction score
Minimum usage test on the stock battery:

I rooted, installed AutoKiller and set it to the Optimum preset. I ran buryboi's awesome bloatware removal script , but manually put back BatteryManager (so I can see usage stats). I have GPS/BT/WiFi/Push all off (unless needed). Brightness is always at 25%. The only Android widget I'm using is PowerControl, and I have SimiClock with the weather and battery indicators on and one SimiFolder - otherwise my homescreens (LauncherPro Plus) are blank. Battery manager is set to Nighttime Saver.

This time I did just about nothing on the phone. Made two calls, checked Facebook once, installed a screenshot app. Results: 100%->15% in 1 day, 18 hours, 11 minutes since unplugging from the wall. dancedroid

screenshot_22.png