Droid 2 global battery life problems!!!! Help!!!

billy4

Reaction score
Hello everyone i am a brand new user because i needed some help with my new Droid 2 Global. i have been experiencing dramatic problems with my droid 2 global battery life and cant figure out what my problem is. i have my brightness all the way down, gps, wifi, bluetooth all that good stuff is turned off. My sync for facebook is on "never", i do that manually to conserve battery. i have drained it completely one time since i got my phone a week ago. i use Juice Defender, but should i? and use task manager as my task killer. i have to charge my phone like 2 times a day. i get like 4 hours of battery life on it with just texting nonstop and browsing for a few minutes here and there. i dont know what my problem is and is very frustrating to me! if someone could please help me that would be great!

hustlinjoe

Reaction score
if you say you get about 4 hours of usage out of it that sounds about right these phones don't last that long you still took all the precautions that you could take you gotta remember that droid phone has a lot of crap built into it that you're using I could also suggest buying an extended life battery I did this for my phone and get about 2 more hours of usage out of it

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt DroidForums

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
B

billy4

Reaction score
But shouldn't just texting people and browsing for a 5 mins and facebook here and there last alot longer than 4 hours for me..?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

biknut1

Reaction score
But shouldn't just texting people and browsing for a 5 mins and facebook here and there last alot longer than 4 hours for me..?

Go to the root of this thread and read the sticky entitled "My Battery Life Writeup." While it was written primarily for rooted phones, there are some settings in there that might be helpful.

It doesn't cure everything like some would have you believe, but later on you might give thought to rooting. You don't have to run a custom ROM- you can just use it to make some tweaks to help your battery life.

OP
B

billy4

Reaction score
Overall that didn't help me very much, just reading that post my battery went down 10%, my display at 41% with my Browser at 21%, with a time of only 5 mins. How in the world does my battery already go down 10%..?

xPhoenix777

Reaction score
You can root and then use titanium backup to freeze bloatware. It REALLY increased my battery life and is SIMPLE to do:

Getting the APK on the Device (Can be done other methods, but this is simple and work for the future)

Note: If you know how to ADB push, it can be done that way too, but this way allows you to remote root anywhere without a PC.

1. Download and install Dropbox on your Mac/PC (Signup/Install here: Dropbox)
2. Drop the Z4Root file in your Dropbox (DL here: Z4Root.apk)
3. Install Dropbox on your phone
4. Log-in to Dropbox
5. Open the Z4Root APK (If warned about unsigned/non market, tap the button to go to settings and allow non-market apps then tap back to get back to Dropbox)
6. If you had to change settings in 6, open the Z4Root APK again. Otherwise you are set.

Rooting (Z4 Installed and in the Apps drawer)
1. Open Z4Root
2. Tap Perma-root
3. Wait 30 seconds
4. If it doesn't say rooted or locks up, pull the battery and reboot
5. If you are not rooted, repeat steps 1-4 a couple times. I have never had a phone take more than 3 tries.

Verification
Once rooted, it should tell you and will install a SuperUser app that manages root privileges for apps.

What Next?
If you are not sure about hopping on a ROM just yet, buy titanium backup (look here) then you can go to http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-2-global/117840-difinitive-apps-freeze-list.html and freeze much of the bloat.

biknut1

Reaction score
Battery life, what else?

Overall that didn't help me very much, just reading that post my battery went down 10%, my display at 41% with my Browser at 21%, with a time of only 5 mins. How in the world does my battery already go down 10%..?

Sounds like something is sucking the life right out of your battery. I have had that a few time as well, never sure what causes it. I see you already know how to get into Battery Manager to see your usage. You might also go into Settings>Applications>Running Services (I think that is correct) to see what services and apps are running. I always had trouble with Skype- it could turn itself back on before I could exit out of the Force Close Menu, it seemed. Turn off everything that you haven't selected to run. It will turn itself back on, but the only way to stop that is to root and run an app manager.

Sorry, Motorola/Verizon/Android doesn't leave you with many choices.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone i am a brand new user because i needed some help with my new Droid 2 Global. i have been experiencing dramatic problems with my droid 2 global battery life and cant figure out what my problem is. i have my brightness all the way down, gps, wifi, bluetooth all that good stuff is turned off. My sync for facebook is on "never", i do that manually to conserve battery. i have drained it completely one time since i got my phone a week ago. i use Juice Defender, but should i? and use task manager as my task killer. i have to charge my phone like 2 times a day. i get like 4 hours of battery life on it with just texting nonstop and browsing for a few minutes here and there. i dont know what my problem is and is very frustrating to me! if someone could please help me that would be great!

Get rid of the task killers. They are not helping you at all.

OP
B

billy4

Reaction score
I really don't want to gi through rooting...do you have any other suggestions? My phones battery life shouldn't die in 4 hrs..

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score

Get rid of the task killers. They are not helping you at all.

+100

This thread has been Thunder struck!

OP
B

billy4

Reaction score
So get ride of ARK? What else should I use?

OP
B

billy4

Reaction score
ATK I mean sorry.

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Your Back key ;-)

OP
B

billy4

Reaction score
I don't understand..

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Before Hook shuts this thread down and redirects you to the Task Killer thread with a million pages, I'll break it down :)
When you're exiting an app and use your Home button, the application will remain open and running with a "No kill" command. This will affect battery life dramatically and can also cause random reboots, freezing, overheating, and many other issues.
When you use your Back button instead, the app will stay open but idle for a certain length of time. This is so it will open faster if you return to it. If you haven't or another application needs the resources, Android will shut the app down itself.
The Home button should only be used for multitasking, not to exit anything.
Uninstall the ATK and reboot. You'll see MUCH improvement in battery life and overall performance, I promise :)