Global vs Droid 2 battery life

draexo

Reaction score
Just realized my business partner has a Droid 2 with stock battery and can go day and a half before needing recharge and I just make it a day with extended battery on my Global and she is always on the thing! What am I doing wrong?!

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

ObieNobie

Reaction score
Tbh I have been wondering the same thing... Anyone know if there is a difference in life

boatbod

Reaction score
Root it and install SetCPU with a profile for 300mhz when the screen is off. You can also set some other profiles to progressively underclock as the battery goes down.

My wife can get about a day and a half on her D2G with those settings. I play too much Angry Birds, so mine only goes one day.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I get about 11 hrs out of mine.... however i listen to music for prolly half that.

Sent from my Liberated DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

OP
draexo

draexo

Reaction score
Root it and install SetCPU with a profile for 300mhz when the screen is off. You can also set some other profiles to progressively underclock as the battery goes down.

My wife can get about a day and a half on her D2G with those settings. I play too much Angry Birds, so mine only goes one day.

Rooted. Got SetCPU. Then got Droid Overclock, which I used to underclock, then I got QuickClock. Right now I am using QuickClock with the "battery saver" profile because I can actually overclock it slightly if I want to. Set CPU seems to be a dead project, but Jrummy16 (Droid Overclock) and PandaPaul(QuickClock) are alive and well.

I also turned off the "global" radio, GPS, and WiFi.

I have noticed it does not seem to matter if I use it hardly at all or somewhat, the battery declines at the same rate. I could place a 30 minute phone call and not loose battery, but if I use it to surf the web it goes faster.

I am getting to the point where I am accepting this limitation because I am always around a power outlet or USB port.

Reaction score
How much blur do you have left on your phone? At the end of the day, what uses the most battery (as shown by battery manager)

If my phone is charged, but not really in use, I can go 12-15 hours before it even drops from 100-90% (I have an extended battery). I wouldn't guess that's normal (I was pretty aggressive with removing stuff, and keeping my data off, etc), but I don't think your battery should deplete at a set rate, even when you're not using the phone. That makes me think you've got an app that's doing it.

OP
draexo

draexo

Reaction score
I think it is an app also. How do I figure out which one?

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
What app is using the most battery in the battery manager? Can you list the top 5? Should be able to figure it out that way.

OP
draexo

draexo

Reaction score
Display takes up most battery. Not sure what i can do about that.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
What else is high on the list? Display should always take up the most..... mines normally around 40% of use. As for what you can do about it, turn the brightness down as far as you can stand (i have it all the way off with a widget to turn on autobrightness on my home screen for when im outside) also turn the screem off timer down as far as you can stand (mines on 30 seconds if i remember right).

OP
draexo

draexo

Reaction score
Cell Standby - 37%
Phone idle - 24%
Display- 21%
Android system 8%
Android OS 4%
I turned off data yet Facebook keeps updating.

13th angel

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Cell Standby - 37%
Phone idle - 24%
Display- 21%
Android system 8%
Android OS 4%

Turn off background data to stop FB from updating..... sounds like you have something leeching battery thats hidden.....

edit:try using juicedefender..... tried taking it off and my battery life sucked without it!

OP
draexo

draexo

Reaction score
Turning off data seems to have helped. Facebook seems immune though as it has its own settings.

FB keeps updating regardless of my phones settings.

Last edited:
OP
draexo

draexo

Reaction score
Cell Standby - 37%
Phone idle - 24%
Display- 21%
Android system 8%
Android OS 4%

Ok after a full day of work

Display 33% (1 hour 16 minutes)
Cell Standby 26% (What is this?)
Phone Idle 17% (What is this?)
Android System 8%
Voice calls 4%
com.motorola.com 2%
Android OS 2%
Android Live Wallpaper 2%

And that is the complete listing.

Reaction score
Cell standby is the power used by the cell radio while it's on, but not in use.
Phone Idle is the power used by system processes while the phone is on, but not in use (screen off)

Phone idle seems high. What is the actual time that it ran? (If you click it, it shows you the actual time or CPU foreground time for an app/process) What's your battery life at, and how long since unplugged?

I'm at 14h 21m 27s and my top five are:

Mediaserver 64% (I listened to almost 10 hours of music on headphones while at work)
Display 15% (It was only on for 57m 11s ou tof 14h... My usage is abnormal)
Phone idle 8% (13h 24m 16s)
Cell Standby 6% (14h 21m 27s. Time without a signal was 0%. If that number is high, that could be contributing to your poor battery life. Greatly.)
Android System 3% (CPU Total 7m14s, CPU foreground 4s, Data sent 121.23KB, Data received 193.93KB)

My usage is odd during the week, because I work construction, so I really only use the MP3 player with the screen off most of the time, and only send the occasional text/email or do a bit of web browsing on my lunch break. I'll try to remember to pay attention to these stats this weekend, when I'm actually using my phone like a normal human being.

Edit: I have a BP7X, so my battery life isn't to be expected, but the percentages should still be equivalent.