Droid 2 Global Battery Life

speltrong

Reaction score
Interesting - I'll have to try SetCPU next. Right now I'm seeing about two days per charge on the stock battery, but I'm not a heavy user - details below.

I rooted, installed AutoKiller and set it to the Moderate preset. I run Advanced Task Killer once after a reboot (and everything loads up and settles down) to kill a bunch of apps that inexplicably run at startup. I ran buryboi's awesome bloatware removal script , but manually put back BatteryManager (so I can see usage stats). I have GPS/BT/WiFi/Push all off (unless needed). Brightness is always at 25%. The only Android widget I'm using is PowerControl, and I have SimiClock with the weather and battery indicators on and one SimiFolder - otherwise my homescreens (LauncherPro Plus) are blank. Battery manager is set to Nighttime Saver.

I use the phone fairly lightly throughout the day when I'm home - Facebook once in awhile, an email or two, maybe a call, Google something... all told maybe an hour or two of usage and the rest standby. I just ran the battery down to 15% and plugged it in, so I'm going to do a true test today and post my results.

dtalitho

Reaction score
I called Verizon with a battery problem and they sent me a new one no problem. Now I just keep a charged extra one with me.

ExodusC

Reaction score
I just got back from the Verizon store, where they gave me a new battery... We'll see if it makes a difference, though.

Sent from my Droid 2 Global using the DroidForums App.

dtalitho

Reaction score
Well, here's something interesting. I went to sleep with 80% battery, and the nighttime saver battery profile enabled. When I woke up, I had about 9:30 runtime since my last full charge, with 5% battery life remaining.

This is ridiculous, I lost so much battery life with the phone idle for about 6 or 7 hours! I need to figure something out, because I should not be getting this kind of awful battery life.

I have found that my battery discharges if left plugged in after it reaches full charge. I told Verizon and they sent me a new battery. It still discharges. Then I tried plugging it into AC outlet rather than USB, still discharges. I get much better results charging it, then unplugging it. Now I keep the extra battery charged and with me!

Reaction score
Well, here's something interesting. I went to sleep with 80% battery, and the nighttime saver battery profile enabled. When I woke up, I had about 9:30 runtime since my last full charge, with 5% battery life remaining.

This is ridiculous, I lost so much battery life with the phone idle for about 6 or 7 hours! I need to figure something out, because I should not be getting this kind of awful battery life.

I have found that my battery discharges if left plugged in after it reaches full charge. I told Verizon and they sent me a new battery. It still discharges. Then I tried plugging it into AC outlet rather than USB, still discharges. I get much better results charging it, then unplugging it. Now I keep the extra battery charged and with me!

Read this post. Your phone's battery is SUPPOSED to work that way. It's not a defect, it's how it's made.

ExodusC

Reaction score

That's an intended effect, Android phones work that way.

I didn't leave my phone plugged in. I'm saying I lost 75% of my battery while the phone was idle over the course of 6 or 7 hours, which is ridiculous.

On a side note, my new battery, which came 70% charged, is now down to 30% over the course of 2 and 1/2 hours of light use.

This seems a little ridiculous. Maybe FissionROM has some kind of bug, or my Droid is defective?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score
[This seems a little ridiculous. Maybe FissionROM has some kind of bug, or my Droid is defective?

One of the primary rules of hacking and modding is to know what the regular behavor is. If I were you, I'd revert to stock and use your phone for a week so you have a baseline for what "normal" is.

It's easier to find and diagnose problems that way.

Reaction score

That's an intended effect, Android phones work that way.

I didn't leave my phone plugged in. I'm saying I lost 75% of my battery while the phone was idle over the course of 6 or 7 hours, which is ridiculous.

On a side note, my new battery, which came 70% charged, is now down to 30% over the course of 2 and 1/2 hours of light use.

This seems a little ridiculous. Maybe FissionROM has some kind of bug, or my Droid is defective?

I wasn't quoting you. Read closer. :)

ExodusC

Reaction score
[This seems a little ridiculous. Maybe FissionROM has some kind of bug, or my Droid is defective?

One of the primary rules of hacking and modding is to know what the regular behavor is. If I were you, I'd revert to stock and use your phone for a week so you have a baseline for what "normal" is.

It's easier to find and diagnose problems that way.

Normally I would, but the stock Droid 2 Global ROM is so awful compared to stock Android... I find it almost unusable.

LGOP

Reaction score
Extended battery arrived in the mail today, hopefully no more battery concerns. I would rather not have to worry about battery conservation.

ExodusC

Reaction score
I just placed an order on the extended battery...

The extra size of the battery seems inconsequential if I can get better battery life.

K20turbo

Reaction score
the ext battery is awesome. I wasnt too keen with the form factor, i love the extra usage time I was able to obtain from using the ext battery.

If you guys have widgets those kill battery too.
i was running dictionary, urban dictionary, and news feeds to all the packages. I saves a lot of battery life by removing those widgets.

Reaction score
Trust me, you won't notice the change in form factor after a day (I don't notice it at all, since it's inside my case), and the upgrade in battery life is WORTH it. I work 8-10 hour days and have music going (in headphones) all day, very occasional web browsing/email, and light texting (10-20), and still have anywhere from 30-50% of my battery left.

LGOP

Reaction score
The extended battery adds a slight amount of weight but hardly noticeable. The small amount that the battery sticks out is also barely noticed. I don't use a case so it actually makes it easier to hold in my hand.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App

Reaction score
I am about to pull the trigger on the extended battery + back (I assume I need to buy that separately).

A question though, I am still unsure if it will really get me through the day/night.

I am at 60% battery as of now (1:01pm), and I took this thing off the charger at 8:30. Used 20 minutes of talk, a few texts, 5 minutes of GPS, and here I am at 60%. Had the phone since Monday and the damn thing is sporadic with keeping charge.

I have BW Weather as a forecast, minimal weather widget, and facebook updating every THREE hours. Battery life shouldn't be this bad.

Will this battery get me through the day/night? I am a grad student and will be needing this phone to stay alive for at least 12-18 hour stints, so I would like to know my battery can stay out with me...

I am on Fission ROM and I have it underclocked to 1Ghz, and once battery hits 50% it goes to 600Mhz. With the screen off, 300Mhz.

Thanks guys!