Droid 2 Global Battery Life

ExodusC

Reaction score
Exodus...your news makes me sad.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums App
The bright side is that if this really is a problem with FissionROM, which it possibly is, Team DeFuse could probably fix it.

I was hoping we'd get a quicker response. It's frustrating to hardly get 12 hours of virtually no usage out of a device, when others can get almost 48 hours with light usage.

zero7404

Reaction score
when i muster up the courage to get my lazy arse up and working, i'll post a complete list of what i've done on mine with the oem/moto/vzw rom. with the stock battery, i can get a good 24 hrs on light use, and maybe 14 with moderate use. these numbers i set when the battery hits 20%.

light use means checking the phone every hour or so, reading email, light browsing and posting, etc. moderate use means all of the above plus tune in radio, angry birds, etc. i also have my phone downclocked to 300-800 MHz and some frozen apps. but otherwise it's the same rom it came out of the box with ...

i just got the seidio 1500 mAh battery and am trying to condition it as recommended over the next week, to see if i get more juice.

Reaction score
Its definitely discouraging... I need the battery life... I did notice though my phone was down to 20. Charged for an hour and its telling me im fully charged. Its stayed that way for the past hour and just now went down to 90. Normally after charging overnight it shoots down to 90 pretty quick (yes I know its been documented) but I wonder why now its so finicky.

zero7404

Reaction score
when i muster up the courage to get my lazy arse up and working, i'll post a complete list of what i've done on mine with the oem/moto/vzw rom. with the stock battery, i can get a good 24 hrs on light use, and maybe 14 with moderate use. these numbers i set when the battery hits 20%.

light use means checking the phone every hour or so, reading email, light browsing and posting, etc. moderate use means all of the above plus tune in radio, angry birds, etc. i also have my phone downclocked to 300-800 MHz and some frozen apps. but otherwise it's the same rom it came out of the box with ...

i just got the seidio 1500 mAh battery and am trying to condition it as recommended over the next week, to see if i get more juice.

ok, so i figure i'll get cracking on this now ...

stock/oem 2.2 rom - rooted with z4root

user installed apps (from the 'Downloaded' list):

adfree
adobe flash player (updated via market)
adobe reader
ak notepad
amazon mp3 (updated via market)
angry birds
anyrrs reader
astro
barcode scanner
battery widget
bump
compass
cover art downloader
currency converter
download buddy
droidforums
droidlight
facebook (updated via market)
gmail (updated via market)
google translate
gps tracker
gunit
labyrith lite
market (updated via ... market ?)
my verizon mobile
mybackup pro
paypal
periodic table
setcpu
shopper
silent mode widget
spare parts
speed test
splashid
terminal emulator
titanium backup pro
titanium backup
tunein radio
ultimate stopwatch
voice recorder
wallswitch
weatherbug elite
wireless tether
youtube (updated via market)
z4root

from 'Running Services':

silentwidgetproviderupdateservice
batterywidgetupdateservice
paypal
setcpu
profileservices
wallswitchreceiverservice
inpocketdetectionservice
cacheservice
stickynotewidgetwidgetservice
messagewidgetproviderwidgetservice
gpstoggleupdateservice
widgetaidservice
photowidgetappproviderwidgetservice
globalunplugservice
googlemessagingservice
syncservice
datamanagerservice
calendarwidgetproviderwidgetservice
wakelockmonitorservice
worldclockwidgetservice
multitouchkeyboard

the apps and widgets i've set to start when the phone starts:

silent mode widget
battery widget
power control widget (from spare parts)
wallswitch widget
music widget
voice recorder widget
anyrrs 2x4 widget (15 articles, update every 3 hrs) x 2
weatherbug elite widget (home town, update every 2 hrs)
weatherbug small widget (other town, update every 2 hrs) x 4
world clock widget
sticky note widget x 2
gps tracker sms activation
setcpu (300 MHz min/800 MHz max)

the apps i've frozen:

3g mobile hotspot
backup assistant
backup assistant client
blockbuster
cardock
cityid
dlna
dlnasystem service
kindle
mediashare
mediasync
news
news and weather
skype mobile
social messaging
social networking
social sharing
social status
vz navigator
weather

operation:

wifi off
bluetooth off
gps off (no location services enabled in google)
sync on
brightness automatic

accounts i'm syncing:

gmail x2
yahoo
facebook

battery profile:

peak: turn off data after 30 mins
off-peak (1900-0700): turn off data after 15 mins

i fiddle with my phone alot, i go to different home screens and update my widgets about once an hour or 2. hop on the forums maybe 4-5 times a day, facebook about 4-5 times. don't really use youtube. i'm light on voice usage, sometimes i'll spend an hour on the phone in a day, sometimes 10 mins. i am also light with texting, i've never seen me shoot more than 75 sms in a day on a heavy day.

my goal is to get 15-18 hours with heavy use (nav, sms, email, internet, music, etc.)

zero7404

Reaction score
i think these batteries like to stay plugged in for at least a few hours after full charge, so i do this @ night.

Reaction score
I wish the stock battery manager didn't reset its uptime counter every time you reboot the phone, so I could show you a screenshot of mine right now. My battery app (which doesn't reset at reboot) shows 10 hours uptime, and 70% charge remaining. That's with a few hours of pandora, some mp3s, some web browsing, texting, light gaming, and just general messing with my phone. It IS possible to get a full day or two out of these things.

Reaction score
Steeda I bought the BP7X and extended battery door through KarenDealz through Amazon.com. Ran me about $42 usd. Hope this helps.

zero7404

Reaction score
I wish the stock battery manager didn't reset its uptime counter every time you reboot the phone, so I could show you a screenshot of mine right now. My battery app (which doesn't reset at reboot) shows 10 hours uptime, and 70% charge remaining. That's with a few hours of pandora, some mp3s, some web browsing, texting, light gaming, and just general messing with my phone. It IS possible to get a full day or two out of these things.

it would be helpful to give an account of exactly what you have and how your phone runs. r u rooted, underclocked, etc ...

ExodusC

Reaction score
Five hours since unplugging from a full charge, and my extended battery is at 50%.

This is ridiculous... I did very little usage over this time period. I think I might have to give stock another shot until Fission is fixed.

zero7404

Reaction score
Five hours since unplugging from a full charge, and my extended battery is at 50%.

This is ridiculous... I did very little usage over this time period. I think I might have to give stock another shot until Fission is fixed.

if ur rooted and have titanium backup pro, try freezing the apps i froze (if you don't use any of those) ... and see how things turn out.

i want to freeze some more system apps but going to do it slowly to see if there's any side effects to base operation of the phone ...

speltrong

Reaction score
@zero7404 - dig back through earlier posts in this thread - I get ~40hrs on a charge using the stock battery on my D2G with the stock ROM, rooted. I've fully documented how I did it.

ExodusC

Reaction score

if ur rooted and have titanium backup pro, try freezing the apps i froze (if you don't use any of those) ... and see how things turn out.

i want to freeze some more system apps but going to do it slowly to see if there's any side effects to base operation of the phone ...
Zero, virtually none of the frozen apps even exist in Fission.

They've all been completely removed, so that's not the issue.

zero7404

Reaction score

Zero, virtually none of the frozen apps even exist in Fission.

They've all been completely removed, so that's not the issue.

sorry missed the part where u'r using fission. i haven't been following custom roms a lot but from what i read about fission when i first got my fone was that it is stripped down vanilla 2.2, and battery life was superior. guess that's not the case ....

zero7404

Reaction score
@zero7404 - dig back through earlier posts in this thread - I get ~40hrs on a charge using the stock battery on my D2G with the stock ROM, rooted. I've fully documented how I did it.

i see some of your posts ... sounds like many of us here in this thread, tailoring usage to better improve batt life. for me, my lifestyle i won't tie myself to a strict routine of specific do's & dont's because that takes the flavor out of using this phone for all it's worth. i've froze apps i know i'll never use, the rest i have to experiment with so i can figure out what else i can freeze over time. but i guess it depends on individual use of the hardware. some work their phones harder than others and it's going to be a tough sell to ask someone with a droid to stop using push email to improve batt life or stop running facebook, etc. because this is a mobile social media device and most use it for that more than as a phone ....