Does your gorilla glass have scratches on it?

GSdub510

Reaction score
I have an Otterbox on and have still dropped my phone especially in the car in between the seat and the door..

When im on my phone inside I can't see any scratches. But put it in sunlight and there are dozens of scratches. I thought this screen was supposed to be scratch resistant. It isn't like I have my keys and phone in the same pocket.

007Razr

Reaction score
Yep mine has a bunch also. Guess its not as resistant as we thought. Hardly noticeable though.

JoshuaTucker

Reaction score
Mine does not, but it isn't invincible. The university I go to actually works a lot with Corning (the company who makes gorilla glass), and gorilla glass definitely isn't completely scratch proof. If you apply any pressure to something metallic (like keys) it will scratch the glass. But still, it's a lot stronger than other glasses.

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
Keys won't scratch it. Those scratches are most likely pieces of sand that got pushed across the glass.

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
Scratch resistant does not mean it's scratch proof. Gorilla Glass can be scratched, although most of the time the scratches people see are in the coating that's on the glass rather than the glass itself. Defenders of Gorilla Glass bring that up all time - it's the coating that's scratched, not the glass - but it doesn't matter, because either way you're stuck with scratches on your screen that you can't get rid of.

Mine doesn't have a single scratch on the screen because I've used a screen protector since day one. Always do.

OP
GSdub510

GSdub510

Reaction score
I've seen a video on YouTube with a guy trying to scratch it with a knife and it didn't.

I mean it isn't bad unless im in direct sunlight and I have never been a fan of screen protectors, so I'm not really seeing how gorilla glass is any different than a normal screen. But these scratches look like spider web lines and when the screen is off and I'm inside, you can't see a single scratch from any angle. Kind of confused about that?

EDIT: ^Ahh so it's the coating in this situation that has the scratches?

Last edited:

jtc303

Reaction score
Nope.... besides finger smudges it looks brand new :biggrin:

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I've seen a video on YouTube with a guy trying to scratch it with a knife and it didn't.

I mean it isn't bad unless im in direct sunlight and I have never been a fan of screen protectors, so I'm not really seeing how gorilla glass is any different than a normal screen. But these scratches look like spider web lines and when the screen is off and I'm inside, you can't see a single scratch from any angle. Kind of confused about that?

It's just one of those things that happens. You might be able to slash the screen repeatedly with a knife and not see a scratch, but a single piece of sand in your pocket could wreak havoc. If you have a really good screen protector, you won't even know it's there. Cheap, sub-par screen protectors can impact the clarity and feel of a screen, but that's not the case if you have a decent one. If it adequately protects the screen, but you don't even realize it's there, what's there not to be a fan of? :)

You're not getting the same type of light reflecting off the screen inside that you get outside, that's why you're not seeing them inside but are outside. And in reference to many of those scratch test videos online, I bet with many of them you'd see some light scratches if you took the device outside.

And yeah, I'd venture to say that the scratches are in the coating. If they were actually in the glass, you'd see them all the time.

OP
GSdub510

GSdub510

Reaction score
Thanks for your input. Any screen protector in particular that you recommend?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Something that works well for scratches is toothpaste. Not gel, but regular toothpaste... certain rubbing compounds do too.. you have to make sure they're not too gritty or you'll do more harm than good.

Use your finger tip and work it in..

DROID RAZR MAXXIMIZED!!!! PREPARE TO BE VANQUISHED!!!

zomnomnombie

Reaction score
GSdub510 said:

It depends on the knife. Regular steel knives will not scratch it. Certain stainless steel knives will depending on the carbon content.

And it also depends on the amount of quartz that is present in the glass mixture. Quartz makes glass stronger.

The main draw of Gorilla glass and similar tempered glasses is the pressure resistance. Meaning that if you sit on it or press up against something it won't crack as easily.

OP
GSdub510

GSdub510

Reaction score
94lt1 said:
Something that works well for scratches is toothpaste. Not gel, but regular toothpaste... certain rubbing compounds do too.. you have to make sure they're not too gritty or you'll do more harm than good.

Use your finger tip and work it in..

My screen just has a bunch of small scratches (I'm assuming on the coating since I can only see them in direct sunlight), so applying toothpaste all over my screen would be okay? And do you remove it with water or what?

OP
GSdub510

GSdub510

Reaction score
Also, does using swipe on Flext9 keyboard scratch the screen (with your fingernails) over time?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
If its just the coating. Then don't do it or you'll take more of it off..

I forgot that the some screens are coated.. motos aren't. But what you would do is apply a small bit of tooth paste to your finger tip, and work it over the scratch/es it will remove minor scratches.. very deep scratches, it will lessen the appearance of.

It WILL REMOVE any coating.. so if you're coated.. don't do this.

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Gorilla Glass is made with a process that causes it to always be in a state of compression. What you are seeing are likely microimperfections in the glass itself, and not surface scratches.